Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Munster Vs Montauban

• 10-10-2008 12:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭

So the Munster team has been named:
    Munster coach Tony McGahan makes three changes, from the side that started against Glasgow Warriors six days ago, for the opening Heineken Cup game against French side Montauban in Thomond Park tomorrow (Fri) evening (8pm).
    Two of those changes are in the backs where Barry Murphy makes way for Lifeimi Mafi - Murphy listed among the replacements - while Ian Dowling returns to the wing in place of Anthony Horgan.

Up front, Jerry Flannery returns to the front row while Denis Fogarty gets the nod over Frank Sheahan as cover for Flannery, following impressive performances from the Cashel man in the A game a fortnight ago and the second half of the game against the Warriors last Saturday.

Speaking of the changes McGahan said, "The side chosen for this first ERC game is one based on current form. This side is we believe is the best fit to get a result against a very competitive Montauban XV. There were some tough decisions because almost the whole squad of players were given an opportunity to impress over the course of the Magners League campaign to date and put their hand up for selection.

"We haven't played against Montauban before but we have done a lot of analysis on them. They have a strong and physical forward pack, pace in the outside backs and process a strong kicking game. Their consistent performances in the French Top 14 makes them fully deserving of a place in what is a very competitive pool alongside Clermont and Sale. Our approach is the same for every game in showing the opposition full respect while making sure we control our impact and decision making in getting the right result.

"We have learned from our first game at Thomond Park last Saturday night and the condition we faced could be similar. We have to be focused on our ball carry and ball protection otherwise like all good French sides they can score from anywhere."

Munster: K Earls, D Howlett, R Tipoki, L Mafi, I Dowling, R O'Gara, P Stringer M Horan, J Flannery, J Hayes P O'Connell capt, D O'Callaghan, A Quinlan, D Wallace, J Melck. Replacements: D Fogarty, F Pucciariello, D Ryan, J O'Sullivan, M Prendergast, P Warwick, B Murphy,

http://www.munsterrugby.ie/19_8530.php
    Anyone know a site streaming the game?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Team picked itself really, good to see Fogarty in, was impressed by him last week. Looking forward to a good game tonight - depends on the Montauban lineup of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭Pshan

Sorry to see Mick O'Driscoll missing out but it's great too have such choice.

Weather looking poor so it'll not be the best of conditions for running rugby. Munster probably need 5 points from tonight and we saw how difficult that was against Glasgow. I'd be happy with 4 but delighted with 5 points from the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭pucan

buck65 wrote: »
    depends on the Montauban lineup of course.

They sent a second string

MONTAUBAN: J Dalla Riva; S Jonnet, J Viard, R Jahouer, J Cassin; R Lespinas, P Mitu; B Balan, B Mach, N Adams; S Murray, R Frost; Y Caballero, M Raynaud (capt), M Clarkin. Replacements: C Traversa, L DelBoulbes, S Florea, K Ghezal, A Battut, F Fortassin, J Laharrague.

And in response to my own question, anyone without tv can find the match at: http://www.myp2p.eu/broadcast.php?matchid=20697&part=sports

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Pshan wrote: »
    Sorry to see Mick O'Driscoll missing out but it's great too have such choice.

Weather looking poor so it'll not be the best of conditions for running rugby. Munster probably need 5 points from tonight and we saw how difficult that was against Glasgow. I'd be happy with 4 but delighted with 5 points from the game.

Weather is indeed meant to be filthy tonight, and I completely agree that had the weather been better last week we would have got the BP off of Glasgow.

"New Munster" rugby no longer benefits from a typical Limerick winter's evening's weather. If it is dry I think we should knock off the BP, given they haven't sent their 1st XV we should knock off the BP despite the weather. I'd love to see it dry though.

Bookies handicap is a meaty -30 points

Mumha Abu!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Inquitus wrote: »
    Weather is indeed meant to be filthy tonight, and I completely agree that had the weather been better last wee we would have got the BP off of Glasgow.

"New Munster" rugby no longer benefits from a typical Limerick winter's evening's weather. If it is dry I think we should knock off the BP, given they haven't sent their 1st XV we should knock off the BP despite the weather. I'd love to see it dry though.

Bookies handicap is a meaty -30 points

Mumha Abu!

Hopefully not as bad as the Wasps game year, i hope :( I was never so wet in my life, soaked to the bone.

Also If Montauban will put out a B side our opportunity to get 4 tries will be greatly affected by the weather.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭Colm_OReilly

Can someone explain to me
    a) how good Montauban are in general?
    b) why they'd put forward a second string side?

Cheers,
    Col

Can someone explain to me
    a) how good Montauban are in general?
    b) why they'd put forward a second string side?

Cheers,
    Col

1) Average French side
    2) Clearly don't believe they can get anything out of Thomond, and probably favour the Top 14 above the HC aswell, so trying to win tonight is seen as wasted effort.

1) Average French side
    2) Clearly don't believe they can get anything out of Thomond, and probably favour the Top 14 above the HC aswell, so trying to win tonight is seen as wasted effort.

And there I was giving out that Munster didnt get an Italian team again but got 2 French teams instead.

It is disappointing that they wont put up a proper fight, but now we have to get the bonus point. I dont think Clermont will make the same mistake they made last year so we need every point we can get.

Where Bourgoin threaten with a fine or explusion for the lack of effort they put up against Leinster a few years ago or something?

Hazys wrote: »
    And there I was giving out that Munster didnt get an Italian team again but got 2 French teams instead.

It is disappointing that they wont put up a proper fight, but now we have to get the bonus point. I dont think Clermont will make the same mistake they made last year so we need every point we can get.

Where Bourgoin threaten with a fine or explusion for the lack of effort they put up against Leinster a few years ago or something?

Yes they were, but that was 90 odd to nil, and truly piss poor. There was also a team from France in the Parker Pen who nearly got charged for lack of effort, that was far worse than the leinster bourgoin farce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,011 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

It brings the competition into disrepute doing this. It's not such a big deal making quarter finals if teams hand you bonus points. It's not fair on fans either expecting them to pay the same price when a team couldn't be bothered giving it 100%.

• Advertisement

It brings the competition into disrepute doing this. It's not such a big deal making quarter finals if teams hand you bonus points. It's not fair on fans either expecting them to pay the same price when a team couldn't be bothered giving it 100%.

Well in fairness this all evens out in the end, it's certainly no worse than having an italian side in your group, and in different years, different teams benefit.

We have had Leinster and Bourgoin mentioned above. Llanelli dished out free bonus points to all Munsters opponents last year, once Munster knocked them out in the middle weekend. And anyways the 2 Italian teams groups will more than likely get the 2 runners up spots, so this has no impact on the outcome of Pool 1 which will be decided by the games between Munster, Clermont and Sale......so noone can argue that it makes a Q/F spot easy.....

Also Montauban, like all French teams, will field a full strength side and play with passion at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭bugler

The BP should be a reasonably attainable target unless the weather is absolutely shocking.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

bugler wrote: »
    The BP should be a reasonably attainable target unless the weather is absolutely shocking.

It has been all day

Well in fairness this all evens out in the end, it's certainly no worse than having an italian side in your group, and in different years, different teams benefit.

We have had Leinster and Bourgoin mentioned above. Llanelli dished out free bonus points to all Munsters opponents last year, once Munster knocked them out in the middle weekend. And anyways the 2 Italian teams groups will more than likely get the 2 runners up spots, so this has no impact on the outcome of Pool 1 which will be decided by the games between Munster, Clermont and Sale......so noone can argue that it makes a Q/F spot easy.....

Also Montauban, like all French teams, will field a full strength side and play with passion at home.
    It's not competitive and shouldn't be treated as such. It's alright rotating squads but there's taking the mick. Why should people have to pay into this? It brings the game and competition into disrepute.

It's not competitive and shouldn't be treated as such. It's alright rotating squads but there's taking the mick. Why should people have to pay into this? It brings the game and competition into disrepute.

One could argue allowing the Italian teams in does the same, it gives 2 groups a disproportionate chance of making the last 8, this has long been an issue and has done nothing to stop the HC becoming the best rugby competition on the planet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

I've said it before but the HCup needs to be pared down to 16 teams, teams that actually give a **** about the tournament. They have to get rid of this second place bias as well. Munster should have had a home quarter final last year as well.

I've said it before but the HCup needs to be pared down to 16 teams, teams that actually give a **** about the tournament. They have to get rid of this second place bias as well. Munster should have had a home quarter final last year as well.

There's a very valid case for this, but it's never going to happen due to the financials etc.

Well games like this will do them no favours.

I was at that Bourgoin game those years ago and it was good fun but it doesn't do anything for the competition. You rarely see teams throwing a game in the Champions League liike you do in the Hcup. Maybe if they are already out its understandable but the opening game?

pucan wrote: »
    So the Munster team has been named:

http://www.munsterrugby.ie/19_8530.php
    Anyone know a site streaming the game?

To answer your question, try www.Justin.tv i was able to stream Munster V Leinster when it was Setanta 1 not Setanta Ireland as i thought

the best rugby competition on the planet.
    I think that's Irish / Munster speak. If it were the best, I think the French would take it more seriously.
    Montabautan have a chance to play the best team in Europe in their own back yard. If they were to win that game, it should go down as their best rugby memories as players, as fans and as a club, but they couldn't give two hoots. Doesn't say much.

I've been to games where French teams play their seconds and they are useless. You'd be better off giving your time and money to the AIL at least both teams want to the match and it's competitive.

• Advertisement

There's a very valid case for this, but it's never going to happen due to the financials etc.

Fans should refuse to go. Rugby would be better served if they coached their local club or went to their local AIL game. Some great games where both teams aim to win.

I think that's Irish / Munster speak. If it were the best, I think the French would take it more seriously.
    Montabautan have a chance to play the best team in Europe in their own back yard. If they were to win that game, it should go down as their best rugby memories as players, as fans and as a club, but they couldn't give two hoots. Doesn't say much.

I've been to games where French teams play their seconds and they are useless. You'd be better off giving your time and money to the AIL at least both teams want to the match and it's competitive.

Speak to anyone in the UK and Ireland and they value the HC above all else, it's not Munster, or Irish speak.

Stade, Toulouse, Biarritz, Clermont all try to win it. That leaves 4 teams who's commitment can be questioned.

AIL Rugby is of nothing like the standard of the HC, it delivers far less entertainment, to say people would be better off watching AIL is beyond disingenuous. It's like comparing eircom league to Champions league in football.

The number of dodgy fixtures each season is but a very small fraction of the total, and to be fair the likes of Montauban, they do not have the resources to fight on 2 fronts, the Top 14 is savage in its fixture load.

I will agree this sort of thing does noone any favours
    Northampton thrash feeble Toulon
    Northampton celebrate Joe Ansbro's first try
    Northampton sealed their first away win of the season at a canter

Northampton hammered an under-strength Toulon side 56-3 to get their European Challenge Cup campaign off to the perfect start on Thursday.

Sebastien Fauque kicked Toulon into an early lead but it was then one-way traffic and Sean Lamont soon crossed for the first of Saints' seven tries.

Joe Ansbro and Paul Diggin helped put Saints 30-3 up at half-time in France.

And Chris Ashton, Ben Foden, Ansbro and Lee Dickson crossed in the second half to seal an easy win.

Toulon rested their big-name signings, and Saints took full advantage to win a bonus point away from home as they got Europe's second-tier competition under way.

Five other English teams - Bristol, London Irish, Newcastle, Saracens and Worcester - will begin their campaigns this weekend, along with Irish province Connacht.

Since Harlequins ended the early French domination (1997-2000) of the second-tier European tournament in 2001, it has been dominated by English clubs.

Sale (2002 and 2005), Wasps (2003), Harlequins again (2004), Gloucester (2006) and Bath (2008) have all enjoyed success, with only French side Clermont Auvergne breaking the sequence in 2007.

With the carrot of a Heineken Cup place going to the winner, it offers another avenue into Europe's showpiece tournament for those not finishing in the top half of the Guinness Premiership.

We will be giving El Salvador our full respect this Saturday

Newcastle boss Steve Bates
    Northampton are in the same pool as Bristol, who travel to face another French side, Montpellier, in their opening game on Friday as they search for a first win of the season.

Bristol have made five changes to their starting XV, with Adrian Jarvis starting at fly-half in place of Chris Ashwin and Mark Regan dropping to the bench to make way for David Blaney at hooker.

Connacht, buoyed by a surprise Magners League win over Leinster, are also in France on Friday, facing Dax.

The Irish province have named most of the side which overcame Leinster, with Robbie Morris coming into the front row and Michael Swift starting at lock.

They are in Pool One alongside London Irish, who host Italian side Rovigo on Saturday.

The five pool winners and three best placed runners-up qualify for the knock-out stages.

Newcastle should qualify comfortably from a pool containing French rivals Brive but two minnows in Italians Overmach Parma and Spanish outfit Cetransa El Salvador.

The Falcons scored 15 tries in a 97-0 home win over the Spaniards last season, and open against the same opposition at Kingston Park on Saturday.

Director of rugby Steve Bates has nevertheless selected a strong side including former All Blacks props Carl Hayman and Joe McDonnell, with England centre Jamie Noon and rugby league convert Danny Williams in the backline.

"We will be giving El Salvador our full respect this Saturday," Bates said.

Worcester travel to face Italian side Petrarca, while Saracens open their campaign against French side Mont de Marsan on Sunday.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/rugby_union/7659020.stm

Guscott grinding his teeth and trying hard not to praise Munster.
    This year the obvious favourites are the likes of Toulouse and Stade Francais and because of what's gone on over the last few years, Munster will be there or thereabouts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭ironingbored

Am I the only one who thinks Munster were very fortunate to have played a second string Clermont side; a decision which proved critical to them winning the HC last year?

Am I the only one who thinks Munster were very fortunate to have played a second string Clermont side; a decision which proved critical to them winning the HC last year?
    yes, but they were very unfortunate getting them and Wasps in their group.

Any streams of this going?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭ironingbored

Any streams of this going?

http://livefooty.doctor-serv.com/fri10.10/Munster_Montauban.html

Showing Muntpellier vs. Bristol atm.

You will need to download sopcast player.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Bock the Robber

Montauban looked fairly competitive to me.

Advertisement