Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

getting a 2nd job

Options
  • 10-10-2008 12:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    I work as a deputy manager in retail, love the job, but need a bit more money (wedding and house, the usual stuff!) There's not much overtime allowed in my company, and a payraise is a bit out of the question at the moment given the economic problems. I've decided to take on a part-time job in an unrelated field, but in my contract it says that any other employment is not permitted while employed with this company. Does this mean that I could be sacked for taking up another job, even though it's in a different area (so no divulging any company secrets) and will in no way interfere with my current job? Is there any way that I could do the two jobs without them knowing or would it flash up on my tax? This clause is in everyone's contracts, not just management. I don't want to go putting doubts in people's minds by asking my managers, so any advice/past experience would be great!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Deadeyes

I'm not certain but I think the way it works is that you when you get a second job, you have to get the revenue to issue new certs to both employers. This is to divide your credits between both jobs. If that is true then it will become immediately obvious to your current employer that something is going on. Head over to http://www.revenue.ie and see if you can find anything.
    Another question would be is such a term in your contract legal? It probably is cause most companies wouldn't be so stupid as to open themselves up to lawsuits, but maybe it's just a case that it's legality has never been tested.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

As I recall the legal limit is 48h a week, what this means is that if you work more then 48h in a week either or both (honestly not sure which) would be liable under law. Second reason most likely being that if you do 40h in company A, 8h in Company B and Company A now require overtime they would not be allowed to do so.

As for if it is legal, solicitor ---> that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

I believe that you have to inform your current employer about any extra hours that you do and you can only work a maximum of 48hrs a week.

Advertisement