Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Prince of Persia trailer

Options
  • 10-10-2008 12:53am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,462 CMod ✭✭✭✭

http://kotaku.com/5061310/awesome-new-prince-of-persia-trailer-and-screens

Please please please please please please please let this be good. Sands of Time is a damn near masterpiece, and if this fixes the flaws without going emo it could well be a candidate for GotY. This trailer is hugely promising, let us hope crushing disapointment does not follow.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,425 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Can't wait for this game. I too thought that Sands of Time was a masterpiece. My only worry is that the dialogue from the small piece of gameplay that was shown ages ago wasn't as good as the dialogue in SoT. Still it looks fluid, the focus on boss style 1 on1 fights and the beautiful visuals point to this being something really special.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

HD trailer here:

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/41112.html

That's a bloody good game trailer, nice choice of music also (its Beathe me by Sia btw)

I really want this game to be the best parts of the previous 3 but from game footage thus far, it looks like its a lot more of the same with some very cheesy and groan worthy dialogue. The new direction they are taking the art style might save it though, although it does look very final fantasy-ish imho.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,425 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

L31mr0d wrote: »
    I really want this game to be the best parts of the previous 3 but from game footage thus far, it looks like its a lot more of the same with some very cheesy and groan worthy dialogue. The new direction they are taking the art style might save it though, although it does look very final fantasy-ish imho.

Yep have to say it's very Yoshitaka Amano-ish (original Final Fantasy illustrator).

blog-amano-ffvi-tina.jpg

Similarities, no?

I'm really hoping the dialogue has that bitchiness between the two main characters like in SoT which was so enjoyable. We have only seen a small amount of dialogue, hopefully it's just placeholder or not representative of it as a whole.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,462 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Yeah dialogue (and Prince's voice) sounds awful (developers said it was 'on purpose', which doesn't make much sense), but the gameplay is promising. Will wait and see.

• Advertisement

On watching that trailer over a few times again I'd rate it up there with the "mad world" ad for Gears of War. It's definitely one that will get people hyped about the games release

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Shocking choice of music... Sæglópur worked so much better in the last trailer, non-english vocals suit the game perfectly imo.
    Fantastic trailer though, it pretty much elevated this game to the top of my most wanted list

Not sure what the limited edition version contains, but if there's even a hint of concept art in there then I'll be buying it... Absolutely adore the art direction of this game!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

New trailer is absolutely excellent. I'll be slimming down the number of games I'll be getting over the next few months as I just don't have the time to play as much anymore but I'll definitely be picking this one up.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Amano?
    Nah, it looks more inspired by Team Ico's output to me.

Also, going over the old trailers again -- has anyone noticed how completely different this looks to the original Ubidays trailer? (link)
    You remember, the crap one with movie-trailer-voice-guy, sporting those ultra-sharp (but UGLY) CGI visuals?

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Amano?
    Nah, it looks more inspired by Team Ico's output to me.

Nope, definitely Amano. Ico is very minamalistic and realistc. The sheer number of highly stylistically detailed towers and spires reeks of amano.

Some gameplay footage from TGS:

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/41114.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

This looks amazing,

Smell of ico off the ghostly bad guys for real, and ofcourse the accompanyment of the girl.

Is this out tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

5th December.

Looks fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

i misread, oh dammit :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

Mr E wrote: »
    5th December.

Looks fantastic.

best game trilogy ever. Pre-order is 51.49 on sendit although suppose the shops will be as cheap on release day.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Gimmie gimmie gimme, right now!
    http://www.gametrailers.com/player/42674.html

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

You know what I liked about the previous trailers?
    • No pretensions of movie-like grandeur
    • Good music
    • NO TALKING

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Nope, definitely Amano. Ico is very minamalistic and realistc. The sheer number of highly stylistically detailed towers and spires reeks of amano.

Haven't experienced much of Amano's FF stuff but, yep, thought I recognized some influences in the trailer.

I definitely felt echoes of the open, outdoor sections of Ico and, in some shots, the Prince's companion reminded me of yorda - with her glow and, err, hand-holding ability. Some of the enemies looked like the smoke creatures and the boss, a mini colossus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

I don't see how this is going to work :(

Controls will be too complicated or something else will go wrong.

I can't see them pulling it off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

is this console only

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,912 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

brim4brim wrote: »
    I don't see how this is going to work :(

Controls will be too complicated or something else will go wrong.

I can't see them pulling it off

Preview i read said quite the opposite - controls are too easy. Apparently you just have to run towards the wall for a wall run, for instance, and swinging on bars is simply a case of jumping, no momentum needed to be built up. Also as far as I remember all fighting will be 1 vs 1 which could allow intricate fights but I did like stylishly fighting a number of guys at once.

I loved Sands of Time, and while this game LOOKS like it could be similar in terms of moving style, i reckon the casual controls will take away the magic feeling SoT had.

*casual controls*
    What? o_O

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

You know what I liked about the previous trailers?
    • No pretensions of movie-like grandeur
    • Good music
    • NO TALKING
    Thats always the way they do early trailers. This is a launch trailer, so it had to give some info about the actual game.
    I loved Sands of Time, and while this game LOOKS like it could be similar in terms of moving style, i reckon the casual controls will take away the magic feeling SoT had.
    I see the controls being almost identical to SoT. Which will be fine by me.

MooseJam wrote: »
    is this console only

No it will be coming to PC also. Wiki says it will be released a week after the console release.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,912 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

What? o_O
    Kiith wrote: »
    Thats always the way they do early trailers. This is a launch trailer, so it had to give some info about the actual game.

I see the controls being almost identical to SoT. Which will be fine by me.

From what i have read - the game is very much context sensitive - if you run towards a wall at an angle you will wall run. If you are on a swinging bar - you will maintain full jumping range at all times - no need to get momentum. In that way, it is not like SoT, the controls are far easier. From what i have read - the controls are a lot easier than SoT - won't require as much timing from the player - the game will take care of too much

From what i have read - the game is very much context sensitive - if you run towards a wall at an angle you will wall run. If you are on a swinging bar - you will maintain full jumping range at all times - no need to get momentum. In that way, it is not like SoT, the controls are far easier. From what i have read - the controls are a lot easier than SoT - won't require as much timing from the player - the game will take care of too much
    This isn't Ninja Gaiden, y'know ;)

Preview i read said quite the opposite - controls are too easy. Apparently you just have to run towards the wall for a wall run, for instance, and swinging on bars is simply a case of jumping, no momentum needed to be built up. Also as far as I remember all fighting will be 1 vs 1 which could allow intricate fights but I did like stylishly fighting a number of guys at once.

Okay that's worse.

I was actually talking about combat though, the vid makes it look like you control both characters in a fight so either they'll make that too easy as well or it'll end up with massively complicated combos that only 5 people in the world will be able to pull off.

It really looks like they are going to finally bring POP back to be as good as the earlier 3D games before Sands of Time :(

brim4brim wrote: »
    I was actually talking about combat though, the vid makes it look like you control both characters in a fight so either they'll make that too easy as well or it'll end up with massively complicated combos that only 5 people in the world will be able to pull off.

You have 3 buttons to use in combat, one for your sword, one for Eleka and one to use the grab/throw command. The developers have said that they can all link to each other with just a button press so no complicated combos although some combinations of moves will be more effective than others. I think it's going to be based more on blocking and countering like ninja gaiden is (although I'm guessing no where near as tough, even though it isn't that tough you bunch of ninja gaiden hating puffters!)

But all I want is new levels for the Sands of Time :(

Why can't they just do that!!

Oh well, I'll probably still buy it and the one after that until eventually I can't take how crap it has become. At least I'll always have the original dos game to play. Nobody can take that away from me! Playing it last night and it still rocks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement