Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EI system 1212 from currys - HDD only 100GB?

Options
  • 10-10-2008 3:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭

well, bought what was called EI system 1212 from curry's (even though on the actual laptop itself it reads "E-SYSTEM" instead, so i'm not even sure what the correct name is...)
    it was advertised as having a 120 GB HDD (and that's also what the sticker on it says) but when i checked under the system properties, i found it only has a total size of 104 GB.

does that mean they've sold me some refurbished crap? :confused: or am i doing something wrong? (i doubt it very much but still i guess it doesn't hurt to ask... :o)

used space: 21.8 GB
    free space: 83.1 GB
    capacity: 104 GB

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Two things will be taking up the space.
    1. is a recovery partition
    2. is allocated system files
    This will make up the bulk of missing space.
    Also a gigabyte is actually 1024 megabytes and not 1000

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Like gonzo says the recovery partition might be taking up a bit of space. Also hard drive show a gigabyte at 1000 megabytes whereas windows shows it as 1024 megabytes and so on. This is the same for all hard drives so is perfectly normal (still annoying though).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭electron

thanks for the replies! is there any place to see the actual volume?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭biologikal

electron wrote: »
    thanks for the replies! is there any place to see the actual volume?

Should be physically printed on the hard drive. Usually a hatch underneath the laptop that can easily be opened to view the hard drive. Check your manual.

Also, "disk management" can show info about any partitions, at least in XP. Right-click My Computer, select "Manage", and "disk management" should be under storage. Dunno how to get there if you're using Vista.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭electron

cool, checked the physical drive - label says 120, so windows device manager sucks :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I don't think anyone makes 100GB hard drives.

Advertisement