Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Campaign gets racial

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭yaynay

Ludo wrote: »
    If you are going to try using my comments against me, then please quote me properly...there was a smiley on it to show I was being sarcastic and showing how the same silly argument can be applied to both sides. You know what I meant and misquoted to try scoring a point.
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

yeah the whole racism element will only come into play if the increase of support for McCain comes from people up until Obama voted Democrat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭iwudluvit

Ludo wrote: »
    erm...

http://www.amazon.com/Stupid-Black-Men-Play-Card/dp/0312367333

A white man can write a book called stupid white men but not stupid black men...and vice versa...it's only been 40ish years since the civil rights act. Is it that hard to understand that it takes time for wounds like that to heal.

'Stupid white men' sold millions and was promoted universally unlike the book you link to here and their themes were very different. Moore's being that it's stupid white men's fault for everything. Not so the other book.

Somebody above posted 'white trash'. Where's their civil rights and 40 years mullarkey? How many years will it be before saying 'black trash' publicly is acceptable?

iwudluvit wrote: »

Somebody above posted 'white trash'. Where's their civil rights and 40 years mullarkey? How many years will it be before saying 'black trash' publicly is acceptable?

Good point... I'm thinking never because the old racist card will never get old enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

Superhands wrote: »
    blacks vote democrat anyway about 85% so the point is largely moot
    That is true but you have to look at the black turnout.

If there is a huge swell in turnout amongst blacks then it will be obvious that people are only voting for Obama because they can relate to him, i.e. his is black.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

Superhands wrote: »
    some extraordinary developments over the last week

a shout of "kill him" (obama) heard from one member of the audience and a black TV man being racially abused by a crowd member at a Palin rally in Florida as she talks about the national medai

NY times editorial accusing McCain of "race-baiting"

Biden talking about it being "mildly dangerous"

Fox reporting "In recent days, when Barack Obama's name is mentioned, it has gone from boos and hissing to actual chants and calls of 'traitor', 'criminal' and even 'terrorist'. The McCain campaign say that don't condone it, don't want to see it happen but it's happening more and more every day.

is McCain trying to bring the country down with him ?

I've written about this on my blog byzantine330.blogspot.com

twice now on CNN in recent days they've talked about the potential for violence

Admittedly, im not 100% up on my american politics, and am probably going to get a bit of a bashing for this, but IMO it has been a racial battle from the very start. Not only because of comments made by McCains side, but comments made by Obama's party too. I think Obama is oh too happy to play the race card TBH, I once remember him saying (albeit a long time ago) that people were afraid to vote fot him "because he didnt look like the rest of the presidents on the american currency notes" WTF!! For one, who was the last president on an american note? I admit I dont know, but I know it wasnt Bush Jr/Sr or Clinton anyway. They were men who have graced our history books for memorable reasons (not saying bush wont achieve that one!!!!) So what does Obama want to achieve?? To be the first black man to be president?? I would heavily question his reasons for wanting to be president!! For his desire to make a change or to make history???IMO, he instigated the race row in the first place, and after spending 2 months in america over the summer, surrounded by the campaign if forced to choose I would still pick him, however I feel they are both highlY unsuitable for the job. Not that I think I (or the current pres. would do any better)

here's my summary:

white trash vote republican and black trash vote democrat

because obama is black, even more black trash than usual will come out and vote democrat.

then even more white trash will come out to vote republican.

overall, the motivation factor for blacks is stronger so obama might shade the election.

BUT there are more white trash than black trash(aren't there?) so maybe that won't happen. we won't know until the day.

Can we all sign up to this? A fair summary of a racial thread?

here's my summary:

because obama is black, even more black trash than usual will come out and vote democrat.

overall, the motivation factor for blacks is stronger so obama might shade the election.

BUT there are more white trash than black trash(aren't there?) so maybe that won't happen. we won't know until the day.

Spot on

one other point however, black trash may not come out and vote in the expected numbers, like students and young people (student and young trash) they have a tendency to say they will vote and then not bother.

peanuthead wrote: »
    Admittedly, im not 100% up on my american politics, and am probably going to get a bit of a bashing for this, but IMO it has been a racial battle from the very start. Not only because of comments made by McCains side, but comments made by Obama's party too. I think Obama is oh too happy to play the race card TBH, I once remember him saying (albeit a long time ago) that people were afraid to vote fot him "because he didnt look like the rest of the presidents on the american currency notes" WTF!! For one, who was the last president on an american note? I admit I dont know, but I know it wasnt Bush Jr/Sr or Clinton anyway. They were men who have graced our history books for memorable reasons (not saying bush wont achieve that one!!!!) So what does Obama want to achieve?? To be the first black man to be president?? I would heavily question his reasons for wanting to be president!! For his desire to make a change or to make history???IMO, he instigated the race row in the first place, and after spending 2 months in america over the summer, surrounded by the campaign if forced to choose I would still pick him, however I feel they are both highlY unsuitable for the job. Not that I think I (or the current pres. would do any better)

well I think it's a fair comment from Obama to publicly acknowledge his racial difference!

and as to people's motivation for public office - god knows - a bit of everything, I'd say.

Spot on

one other point however, black trash may not come out and vote in the expected numbers, like students and young people (student and young trash) they have a tendency to say they will vote and then not bother.

typical lazy students.

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

typical lazy students.

:rolleyes:

Yea, some believe that it had a impact on the 2004 election, the young and student vote did not bother getting out and voting for Kerry while the older and more conservative vote got out and voted in their droves fro Bush as expected.

It may have also been down to the fact that the Kerry voters were too busy helping the sick and poor and while the Bush voters had loads of time on their hands because their negro slaves were doing their work back on the plantations and ranches.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

here's my summary:

You left out the asians! They are yellow. :rolleyes:

[sarcastic]
    Hi, I think black people will vote for Obama based on race because they are incapable of thinking of anything else like policies or financial situations they are in. Those that are slightly tanned will probably vote for Ron Paul.
    [/sarcastic]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

Although i dont agree with you guys, or the continued use of "black trash", its obvious that some misguided ignorant morons will take the race route or bias when voting.

This is an unavoidable stepping stone when the first black Presidential candidate was announced. Maybe someday they'll get over it.

These morons are likely in the minority and No MILF or POW can change people choosing the right category for the White house. Id think you would be surprised with the amount of blacks that will vote republican.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

its obvious that some misguided ignorant morons will take the race route or bias when voting.

While might be true for the minority I don't see how it is going to get them out in droves. It is more likely to get people out in droves and vote for Obama for the clusterfuk the whitehouse has put the USA in. Also with Voter suppression and apathy (because they thought Kerry won) the last time around I don't see people being as lax as the last time.

Hobbes wrote: »

[sarcastic]
    Hi, I think black people will vote for Obama based on race because they are incapable of thinking of ...[/sarcastic]

saracastic or not, no-one's is saying that.

mostly we are saying that one votes for one's own.

same way as I support Ireland when versus Brazil even though Brazil plays better football and probably will win.

"Converse et al. (1961) estimate that Kennedy's vote among Catholics was 17 percentage points higher than what an average non-Catholic candidate could have expected"

I'm sure there's more on this elsewhere but the general point holds.

Regardless of all the other issues, Catholics voted for JFK as it was their first chance to. If a Catholic ran today, it wouldn't have the same impact. However, for blacks, given it's the first time around, it's a huge factor.

I don't know why I'm bothering at this stage. It's axiomatic.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Hobbes wrote: »

They'll vote Republican because yellow is closer to white than it is to black. :pac:

Who will Michael Jackson vote for?

edit: or zebras, if they were in a position to vote which way would they swing?

Galvasean wrote: »
    edit: or zebras, if they were in a position to vote which way would they swing?

I actually think they are in a position to vote, ACORN registered about 500 of them from a park in Wyoming last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭transylman

McCain is really whipping the right into a frenzy right now. It is extremely worrying to hear screams of terrorist every time Obamas name is mentioned at McCains rallies. These right wing extremists are not going to accept an Obama presidency, what happens if he does win? The parallels with Yitzhak Rabin should be a major cause for concern.

McCain is playing a really dangerous game which is definitely not in the interest of the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭norbert64

certain people may be starting to question the youth vote. :rolleyes:
    http://crooksandliars.com/cernig/2020-youre-too-young-and-too-dumb-vote

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

norbert64 wrote: »

Personally I feel that everyone who voted Bush the second time round was too dumb to vote.

transylman wrote: »
    McCain It is extremely worrying to..a.

I take it that you must get worried fairly easily then. Are you losing much sleep over this? Or are you exaggerating?

norbert64 wrote: »

That's funny

However it's a bit like the video on another thread with the whack jobs at a McCain rally.

There is probably 90% of it left out where the people answered the questions right first time without hesitation

Although i dont agree with you guys, or the continued use of "black trash", its obvious that some misguided ignorant morons will take the race route or bias when voting.

... 'white trash' was also bashed around a couple of times too...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Everyone votes for their own reasons.

Some black Americans have purposefully registered to vote for Obama because he is black. Some white Americans have purposefully registered to vote against Obama because he is black.

IMO if Obama wins or loses, the two groups above will play a rather small factor in it.

What has bothered me about the McCain camp of late, is that they seem to be spending more time attacking Obama than promoting and educating the public, particularly the undecideds, on why their policies are better. I quite honestly don't see this stragegy paying off. If it doesn't and Obama wins, this strategy is only going to polarise the nation, and make it harder for anything to get done.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭CtrlSource

here's my summary:

Sounds very scientific! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭norbert64

Civil rights leader speaks out
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/10/11/john-lewis-warns-mccain-y_n_133903.html

the sh*ts gonna hit the fan now, lol.

expect Rev Sharpton to show up on Fox this week. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Polling has shown that in the democratic primary, Obama did not automatically get the african american vote.

His campaigning strategy and his policies turned african americans to his side even though they had a long and established history of supporting the Clintons.

His policies target improved standards for the demograph that most african americans in america are in, so it is hardly surprising they are supporting him.

Aside from that, lets keep the mild racism out of this. The suggestion that someone would vote without knowing the policies or caring about the policies due to race, is pretty much implying that they either don't know or don't care about the details.

I think if you can't show that with an actual source, you should probably think twice about posting it as anything more than a rather uneducation opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,259 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

You can watch the video in other threads here but McCain is actively trying to calm down the bloodlust, adressing voters that think Obama is an Arab and a Terrorist, and fear an Obama Presidency. He even went so far as to say you do not need to fear an Obama Presidency. But its clear from whats been going on at McCain's rallys that he has lost control of the mob (poor leadership johnny). That was a rally from this afternoon - I dont think the video has hit the web yet. Basically he couldnt even get a word in as Rally members argued with each other for a moment.

Other reports claim that its Palin (and Im guessing Rove) that have driven most of the energy behind these attacks. Reportedly its caused the VP to have a falling out with McCain:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/us_and_americas/us_elections/article4926283.ece

The Telegraph reports as well that McCain may be offered a job in Obama's administration. It wouldn't be a cabinet position, but would be in charge of a bi-partisan reform of Veteran's Affairs. This olive branch might have something to do with McCain's turnaround on the personal attacks, but that be also just him trying to keep his character intact.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/uselection2008/barackobama/3179575/Barack-Obama-would-offer-John-McCain-a-job-is-he-wins-the-US-election.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement