Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Troopergate (Palin) Investigation: 10 October

Options
  • 10-10-2008 9:46am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭

The Independent Investigator of the bipartisan Alaska Legislative Council is to release the investigative findings regarding "Troopergate" Friday, 10 October 2008. It should be noted that Troopergate began this summer, well before it was announced by John McCain that Sarah Palin would be his running mate.

Questions:
    • Did Sarah Palin abuse her power as Alaska's governor to come to the aid of her sister in a family divorce (child custody) dispute?
    • Or was the governor merely fulfilling her duties as chief executive when removing Walter Monegan from the position of Public Safety Director for job performance reasons?

Background:

"Gov Palin is under investigation for her role in the sacking last month of Walter Monegan, the state's public safety director. Mr Monegan had previously refused to fire Mrs Palin's estranged former brother-in-law, a state trooper who allegedly threatened to shoot her father during a nasty child custody battle with her sister."

Source: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/uselection2008/johnmccain/2651820/Sarah-Palin-poses-Troopergate-risk-to-John-McCains-US-election-bid.html

"The Alaska Legislative Council is a bipartisan body of state House and Senate members who can convene to make decisions when the full Legislature is not in session. As of July 2008 it was made up of four Democrats and eight Republicans. On July 28, 2008, the Legislative Council voted 12-0 to hire an independent investigator to investigate Palin and her staff for possible abuse of power or improper actions surrounding Monegan's dismissal. A retired state prosecutor, Stephen Branchflower, was named as the investigator."

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alaska_Public_Safety_Commissioner_dismissal

"An Alaska judge has refused to block a state investigation into whether Gov. Sarah Palin abused her power when she fired her public safety commissioner this summer.

Judge Peter Michalski in Anchorage said in his ruling Thursday that much of what was raised in a lawsuit seeking to halt the probe was business left to the legislative branch.

Five Republican state legislators asked the judge to order a temporary restraining order. They said the investigation has been tainted by partisan politics.

An independent investigator hired by the Legislative Council, which authorized the probe, is expected to have his report completed by Oct. 10."

Source: http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5jOTk11gvqDAgD0cY3i4WjI_2YOxwD93IMTUG0

9 October 2008 5:08 PM:

"The Alaska legislature's Troopergate probe into Gov. Sarah Palin may conclude its work and release its findings, the Alaska Supreme Court decided Thursday.

The justices heard a last-minute appeal from several Republican legislators, supported by a Texas conservative legal group, to stop the investigation. A lower court had ruled against the lawmakers last week."

Source: http://blogs.abcnews.com/theblotter/2008/10/troopergate-pro.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Oh man, it'd be just hilarious if she got done for 'abuse of power'. By done I mean fined or something, she'd hardly be sent to jail.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Given the significance of the consequences of a finding against Palin, it would seem this inquiry would require beyond the normal level of proof/evidence in order to make a decision against Palin. For that reason, I would be surprised if they found against her.

Will be interesting to see how her campaign plays it if so - I for one always have a lingering doubt in my mind when I hear 'public figure X cleared of Y' as I wonder was it a loophole that got them off (Judge Curtin anyone?). Strictly speaking I shouldn't do that, but it's a natural reaction to some extent. For that reason, I wouldn't go shouting it from the rooftops 'I'm not corrupt', but Palin is so in your face that might be the line she takes. Will be interesting either way.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Early leaks indicate the findings are that they did try to force the issue of the troopers' firing, but that they were not particularly direct about it. Basically a wishy-washy sort of result, which will be played oppositely by the two camps.

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭RedPlanet

yeah i doubt she'll get done for it, but certainly she's behaved unethically in this affair.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭norbert64

the Obama camp should steer clear, TBH.

let the media whine about it, if need be.

The McCain/Palin campaign seems to be self destructing with all there gutter politcs in recent days, so Obamas campaign should just ride it out, and keep talking about the economy.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

The Plot Sickens?
    A side-effect of Trooper gate?

Question: Does Sarah Palin adequately vet persons she appoints to high office?

"Late on the afternoon of Friday, July 11, 2008 Palin’s office announced Monegan would step down and be replaced by Kenai Police Chief Charles Kopp. Kenai is about 160 miles from Anchorage and has less than 8,000 residents. Palin said she brought in Kopp to usher in a “new direction.”

"Almost as soon as Kopp was named to the job, John Cyr of the Public Safety Employees Association says he began receiving complaints, about 10 in all, about Kopp. Even before his first day, news broke about a sexual harassment claim that was filed against him a few years earlier by a former employee."

"She didn’t understand how important it is to truly vet anyone who would be in a position of that authority,” says the trooper union’s John Cyr who says Kopp’s qualifications were nowhere near as strong as Monegan’s.

"One week later, again on a Friday evening, the governor announced at a three minute press conference that Kopp would be stepping down, 'We’re going to move forward now,' she said. Unlike Monegan who did not receive a severance package, Kopp was given $10,000 after his tenure of 14 days."

Source: http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/10/09/cbsnews_investigates/main4512469.shtml?source=mostpop_story

Two page Alaska Supreme Court Order regarding Troopergate: http://media.adn.com/smedia/2008/10/09/12/AK001__2_.source.prod_affiliate.7.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Just heard on BBC News that Sarah Palin has been found guilty of abuse of power on this case. That's pretty shocking stuff and in my opinion there is no way to defend that behaviour and is clear evidence she is unfit for high office (in my company conducting company business on your private email account would have been enough to rule you out of high office anyway).

This is another indictment on McCain's recklessness in choosing Palin without really knowing her or vetting her. In a rational election campaign this would be the nail in the coffin, but I wouldn't be surprised if they manage to find a way of shamelessly spinning this to try get voters who will hear their spin but not investigate it to believe she did the right thing (e.g. he was a terrorist so I did the right thing and got him fired).

Link here: http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/10/10/politics/main4514596.shtml?tag=topStory;topStoryHeadline

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

this shows i forgoe laws to do whats right for my country - sarah palin

republicans cheer

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

this shows i forgoe laws to do whats right for my country - sarah palin*
    Can she see it from Alaska?*

*Not factual... an attempt at humour.;);););););)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

this shows i forgoe laws to do whats right for my country - sarah palin

republicans cheer
    Can she see it from Alaska?

You should probably clarify that she didn't actually make that remark.

Interesting to see how this pans out. I don't honestly believe that it will have any effect on Palin supporters. If you're so blind to think she's a worthy candidate, she could feed babies to lions and you'll still find an excuse for her.

It does damage McCain's credibility though. I wonder could this be McCain's chance to push her out the door and show that he has the balls to make the big decisions when they matter.

• Advertisement

GuanYin wrote: »
    It does damage McCain's credibility though. I wonder could this be McCain's chance to push her out the door and show that he has the balls to make the big decisions when they matter.
    It's too close to 4 November. McCain has already issued preemptive strike dossier statements to the press yesterday, so for him to change horses in mid-stream would be a disaster in itself?

Their approach for the remainder of the campaign will be to attempt to discredit the investigation and report of the bipartisan Alaska Legislative Council.

McCain Dossier Source: http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/oct/11/uselections2008-johnmccain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭Craft25

she abused her power, but she didnt break any laws,
    also the panel are withholding 1000 pages of the investigation for some mysterious reason - Larry King live, CNN

Something fishy is going on here!!

Couple that with:
    McCain defends obama at rally-
    he described the Democrat as a "decent person and a person that you do not have to be scared of as president of the United States."
    Cbsnews . com

im gonna presuppose (only cos i love to :P) - that McCain is unofficcially conceding defeat after having learned the contents of the report coupled with the numbers in the polls; he's gonna go through the next month quietly, try get as many seats for republicans in the house & Senate, and the truth about Palin will come out in november when nobody cares about her anymore.

He really killed his campaign when he drafted her into the camp, it was a proof of his maverick, outside the box, spur of the moment way of thinking that leads him to come up with original ideas and solutions but in the president of the US this is just too risky, Imagine him making original, spur of the moment decisions on the economic crisis, or in the FP arena.. just too risky, a great man to have around in politics, but not at the top

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

The report IMO won't make much difference to voters except maybe the undecided (are there any laeft at this stage)?

It does though look bad on McCain aand his judgement who choose her as VP.

Did Palin act inconsistently towards Commissioner of Public Safety Monegan, by first praising his work publicly, then firing him 3 months later for poor job performance?

A tape obtained exclusively by ABC News shows Palin at a conference Apr. 28, where she acknowledges and even applauds Monegan.

"An indication of our commitment is the participation here of my, our, department of Public Safety Commissioner Walt Monegan's participation here and all of his hard work, and I want to publicly thank him," Palin said.

She went on to say that Monegan was not just talking about the issue, but was "finding the solutions and plugging them in."

Source: http://a.abcnews.com/Blotter/story?id=5778856&page=1

The wildly head belief here is that McCain was rejected by three potential VPs before settling on Palin due to pressure from his party.

I honestly don't think Palin reflects poor choice by McCain over lack of leadership.

The wildly head belief here is that McCain was rejected by three potential VPs before settling on Palin due to pressure from his party.

I honestly don't think Palin reflects poor choice by McCain over lack of leadership.

Hmmm, I was of the belief that McCain's first choices of VP were rejected by the Party who preferred someone like Lieberman.

Picking a running mate is the first (& arguably the most important) decision a President makes. By picking Palin as his running mate McCain basically told us "I believe this woman it best qualified to run the country if I die." I believe that this choice of Palin was 'poor' compared to his other options for VP. If McCain was pushed into choosing someone like her it also seems like poor leadership.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Craft25 wrote: »
    Couple that with:
    McCain defends obama at rally- Cbsnews . com

im gonna presuppose (only cos i love to :P) - that McCain is unofficcially conceding defeat after having learned the contents of the report coupled with the numbers in the polls; he's gonna go through the next month quietly, try get as many seats for republicans in the house & Senate, and the truth about Palin will come out in november when nobody cares about her anymore.
    I don't like McCain at all but you have to respect him for trying to reign in some of the more radical views of his supporters:
    http://elections.foxnews.com/2008/10/11/mccain-booed-calling-obama-decent-person/

There is a difference between looking at someone's character and painting them to be a terrorist. Then again..maybe its a case of too little, too late and he's being hypocritical after Palin's attempts to show him as "palling around with terrorists"?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

But you do think that Palin reflects poor choice by McCain in some way?

Trojan wrote: »

I think that Palin as VP choice *seems* like so was chosen for reasons other than being the best person for the job. It's probably very naive of me to think that McCain could have picked someone that he actually wanted, someone closer to his ideology. If a lot of people vote for McCain because of Palin then the Republican party will have done it's job in selection and the choice will have been a "good thing". But I can't help but feel that the woman is over her head and I really, really do believe that a % of her wouldn't be 100% losing the election and just heading back to her family and a more 'normal' life.

• Advertisement

"But the Branchflower report still makes for good reading, if only because it convincingly answers a question nobody had even thought to ask: Is the Palin administration shockingly amateurish? Yes, it is. Disturbingly so."

Is it amateurish for Palin to abuse the power of her high office by using it in a family dispute, attempting to get her former brother-in-law trooper fired?

Source: http://www.time.com/time/politics/article/0,8599,1849399,00.html

Is it amateurish for Palin to publicly compliment Commissioner of Public Safety Walter Monegan for his job performance in late April 2008, followed by firing him a short time later claiming poor job performance?

Source: http://a.abcnews.com/Blotter/story?id=5778856&page=1

Is it amateurish to fail to vet Charles Kopp as a replacement for the fired Commissioner of Public Safety (Walter Monegan), resulting in his tenure in this top law enforcement office lasting only 14 days, before he too was asked to step down by Palin, and costing Alaska $10,000 severance?

Source: http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/10/09/cbsnews_investigates/main4512469.shtml?source=mostpop_story

Is it amateurish involving fisherman and oil worker husband Todd Palin in the review of the state budget and personnel issues?

Source: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/14/us/politics/14todd.html

Is it amateurish to use unsecured gov.sarah@yahoo.com or gov.palin@yahoo.com to conduct official State of Alaska business?

Source: http://features.csmonitor.com/politics/2008/10/12/post-troopergate-palin-still-popular-in-alaska-just-not-as-much/

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

taconnol wrote: »
    I don't like McCain at all but you have to respect him for trying to reign in some of the more radical views of his supporters:
    http://elections.foxnews.com/2008/10/11/mccain-booed-calling-obama-decent-person/

There is a difference between looking at someone's character and painting them to be a terrorist. Then again..maybe its a case of too little, too late and he's being hypocritical after Palin's attempts to show him as "palling around with terrorists"?

Well if he didn't run the ads questioning his links to Ayers etc. this wouldn't be as big an issue. They are playing on peoples fears and this is what happens when you do that.

Many people had strong political views in their teens etc. but with time and experience they change their views. It isn't a crime.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Seanies32 wrote: »
    Well if he didn't run the ads questioning his links to Ayers etc. this wouldn't be as big an issue. They are playing on peoples fears and this is what happens when you do that.

Many people had strong political views in their teens etc. but with time and experience they change their views. It isn't a crime.
    True, well it was sort of like he left all the dirty work to Palin in terms of really getting the underhanded digs in at Obama. And then didn't anticipate the extreme reaction? But still, he only has himself to blame.

Chalk it down as another cock-up on his side. Being booed by your own supporters less than a month before the election means you definitely have done something wrong.

Ponster wrote: »
    Hmmm, I was of the belief that McCain's first choices of VP were rejected by the Party who preferred someone like Lieberman.

The word is that McCain wanted Tim Pawlenty from Minnesota but that Pawlenty for whatver reason turned McCain down (I've heard he didn't want to run against Obama in case it damaged a future presidenial bid, but I'm not sure I believe that). Tim Pawlenty would have been an excellent choice, young and popular, he's a strong conservative and would have appeased the GOP.

Picking a running mate is the first (& arguably the most important) decision a President makes. By picking Palin as his running mate McCain basically told us "I believe this woman it best qualified to run the country if I die." I believe that this choice of Palin was 'poor' compared to his other options for VP. If McCain was pushed into choosing someone like her it also seems like poor leadership.
    That is, no offence, naive. McCain picked someone he thought would make him more electable, McCain himself swayed many liberals towards him, it was his own party he was worried about. Palin was a choice to appease them.
    Trojan wrote: »
    I think McCain made a cynical gamble that backfired VERY badly.

McCain wanted someone who would rally the conservative element of the GOP back to him while also offering a young and "maverick" image to both contrast and compliment his own and rival Obama's.

His other choices didn't pan out so someone somewhere picked Palin. In another time, she would have won him the race.

The way the US is now, she is the antithesis of what the country needs.
    Ponster wrote: »
    I think that Palin as VP choice *seems* like so was chosen for reasons other than being the best person for the job. It's probably very naive of me to think that McCain could have picked someone that he actually wanted, someone closer to his ideology. If a lot of people vote for McCain because of Palin then the Republican party will have done it's job in selection and the choice will have been a "good thing". But I can't help but feel that the woman is over her head and I really, really do believe that a % of her wouldn't be 100% losing the election and just heading back to her family and a more 'normal' life.

Pretty much nail on the head.

Apparently, the investigation into Sarah Palin's abuse of power, reported by the bipartisan Legislative Committee is not over? At the same time that the report was being read last Friday, 10 October 2008, an Alaskan Superior Court Judge ordered Palin to save all her yahoo emails since taking office as governor.

Source: http://features.csmonitor.com/politics/2008/10/12/post-troopergate-palin-still-popular-in-alaska-just-not-as-much/

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭SteveS

Did Palin act inconsistently towards Commissioner of Public Safety Monegan, by first praising his work publicly, then firing him 3 months later for poor job performance?

Monegan was not fired, but resigned after being reassigned. I'd also like to note that Branchflower, the "indpendent" investigator, is no fan of Palin. Also, Branchflower is a good friend of Monegan and Branchflower's wife worked for Monegan just a few years ago. This would seem to be somewhat of a conflict of interest.

Personally, I think it is too early to draw any major conclusions from a report that was made by one person and has not been adopted or endorsed by any sub-committee of the Alaska Legislature, much less any kind of commission, court, jury, or other proper adjudicatory body.

SteveS wrote: »
    Monegan was not fired, but resigned after being reassigned.
    Monegan, as Commissioner of Public Safety, occupied the highest post in Alaska law enforcement. Palin offered him a greatly subordinate post in law enforcement that paid several thousand less.

Now, putting all the political spin aside, what would you do if you were the president of a subsidiary organisation and the corporate CEO came to you and said I am reassigning you from subsidiary president to a lower level management slot (and I'm going to pay you several thousand dollars less)? Palin knew exactly what Monegan, or any other professional would do, and that was to not accept the reassignment.

He was forced out, and don't forget the fact that the bipartisan Legislative Council, which was comprised of 8 Republicans and only 4 Democrats voted 12-0 to investigate Palin last July 2008. This is a matter of recorded fact, not spin. This vote occurred way before McCain announced Palin as his running mate, because there was a serious concern by both Republican and Democratic members of the Alaska Legislature that Palin may have abused her office as Governor of Alaska.
    SteveS wrote:
    Personally, I think it is too early to draw any major conclusions from a report that was made by one person and has not been adopted or endorsed by any sub-committee of the Alaska Legislature

"The release of Branchflower's 263-page report came after a unanimous vote of the 12-member Legislative Council, which authorized the inquiry last summer. The vote followed an all-day, closed-door meeting with Branchflower. Three members participated by telephone." (Bipartisan: 8 Republicans and 4 Democrats voted 12-0 to release the report 10 October 2008)

Source: http://www.adn.com/palin/story/552393.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Pocono Joe

SURPRISE SURPRISE!!!!!!! Who would have ever in a million years guessed that the media headlines would be “Abuse of Power,” and not “Report acknowledged Palin did nothing wrong in dismissing Mr. Monegan,” or “Waste of taxpayer dollars trying to nail concerned citizens who cry foul over criminal actions of State Trooper,' or “Report shows how government bureaucracies shield the incompetent and immoral among them.” But no, the media headlines (and their minions here) focus on the investigator Stephen Branchflower’s finding (who earned $100,000 for his “probe” ...cough) that the governor failed to restrain her husband from pushing for the trooper's dismissal (who tasered a 10 year old, and threatened to kill the Governor and her father).

Yet the real criminal in this case, Trooper Wooten continues to keep his job and draw taxpayer funded paychecks. So I ask you, where is the real justice?

Good reading by Scott Ott, one of the best of today’s political satirists, who occasionally writes non-satire pieces for TownHall.com (which often features noteworthy opinions from many well-known conservative writers).
    http://scottott.blogtownhall.com/2008/10/12/troopergate_the_best_thing_to_happen_to_mccain-palin.thtml

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭SteveS

"The release of Branchflower's 263-page report came after a unanimous vote of the 12-member Legislative Council, which authorized the inquiry last summer. The vote followed an all-day, closed-door meeting with Branchflower. Three members participated by telephone." (Bipartisan: 8 Republicans and 4 Democrats voted 12-0 to release the report 10 October 2008)

Source: http://www.adn.com/palin/story/552393.html

A legislative council does not have the same status as a standing committee of the legislature. At least it doesn't in any state I am familiar with, or the federal government. The vote was to release the report. That council has no power to sancion or punish Palin, nor have they even made any kind of reccomendation for action. From that article you linked:
    Another member of the Legislative Council, Rep. Bob Lynn, R-Anchorage, said he thinks Branchflower's findings are wrong, and that Palin didn't violate the ethics act. "She and Todd Palin were trying to defend their family," Lynn said. "I think any normal person would do the same."

and,
    The chairman of the Legislative Council, Sen. Kim Elton, D-Juneau, said he agreed with Branchflower's findings but wasn't ready to suggest there should be any consequences for the governor.

finally,
    Sen. Gene Therriault, R-North Pole, said the report is flawed because Branchflower didn't take into account statements and other materials submitted earlier this week by Todd Palin and administration employees who earlier had resisted subpoenas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Pocono Joe wrote: »
    SURPRISE SURPRISE!!!!!!! Who would have ever in a million years guessed that the media headlines would be “Abuse of Power,” and not “Report acknowledged Palin did nothing wrong in dismissing Mr. Monegan,” ...SNIP

erm...even the headlines on Drudge Report and NewsMax said it was an abuse of power. Even the most partisan websites acknowledged that she did wrong yet you can't? Odd.

Advertisement