Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clone Wars (Animated TV 2008)

• 10-10-2008 9:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭

I haven't seen the the theatrical pilot episode yet (I heard it wass universally panned) but I've just seen Season 1 ep1+2 and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised with it. It's as tho whomever is producing this show day-to-day (and I'm sure it's not Lucas based on these results?) remembered that Star Wars is meant to be "fun" and not just a solemn-faced decent into doom (the prevailing tone of the 3x prequel movies).

The feeling of fun and adventure is back. Even yoda has his mischevious laugh from ESB. The eps are well written and the characters are people you can root for. Everything is right about this show, from the childlike (but not childish) tone to the the 50's tv style intros.

All in all I'm very optimistic that this show can stay quality for it's 100 ep run.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Yeah i was peasantly surrprised, 2 good episodes. Feels like watching an aussie soap tho with all the clone accents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭evil-monkey

I have to say I really enjoyed episode 1 and 2.

But d'ye think it will sustain the 100-or-so episodes Lucas has predicted??

Another good one with Episode 3, though I didn't enjoy it as much as the first two.

One point, why does everyone keep referring to Anakin as Master Skywalker?? He's not a Master...in fact, he never reaches the rank of Master.

I can understand Asohka referring to him as Master, as he is her Master though he himself is not a Jedi Master...but Plo Kloon also calls him Master throughout the episode. Any thoughts??

I am really enjoying it . I didnt like the movie too much but this has been great. I cant wait for other characters to enter into it (Kitt Fisto) Plo Koon is great .
    Some great dialog also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

I want to kill the droids. All they are is buffoons.

• Advertisement

+1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Metal jar jar binks.

Metal jar jar binks.

the fact i hate Asohka distracts me from them though. but all in all, i've been enjoying it.

where are ye guys watching it?? or are ye "acquiring it to ye're desktops"?? can't watch it on starwars.com because of the region, and the cartoon network site hasn't worked for me since I watched the first two...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

tbh I wont be watching any more of them. I enjoyed the first clone wars series (the short ones, episodes 1-20), but the new ones are a childrens cartoon. For want of a better word, they're just lame

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

Yeah, Why are the droids so stupid? Why dont they follow orders or act logically?

• Advertisement

I am really enjoying it at the moment . Last episode was not the best but i have really enjoyed the rest of it . I hated the last Clone wars .

Yeah, Why are the droids so stupid? Why dont they follow orders or act logically?

they're class 2 droids. "Mechanical Sentients" Lucas referred to them as. thought why there are so stupid is beyond me...were I Dooku I'd be having a word with my suppliers...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

... but the new ones are a childrens cartoon. For want of a better word, they're just lame

+1

Thought the first two eps were rubbish really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭dade

the fact i hate Asohka distracts me from them though. but all in all, i've been enjoying it.

where are ye guys watching it?? or are ye "acquiring it to ye're desktops"?? can't watch it on starwars.com because of the region, and the cartoon network site hasn't worked for me since I watched the first two...

a friend in the Us copies them on his DVD recorder and fedex's them to me ;)

BTW a question about the second episode...

....why the hell didn't they just blast the escape pods, rather than slowly drilling into them?

BTW a question about the second episode...

....why the hell didn't they just blast the escape pods, rather than slowly drilling into them?

good question. i dunno, cheaper? save blaster shots? :p maybe they wanted to search the escape pods for any data and didn't want to risk destroying it??

Was there an episode 6 ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

so this is a new thing its not a break down of the clones things from a couple of years back?

so this is a new thing its not a break down of the clones things from a couple of years back?

it's a CGI series to follow on the CGI film that was in cinema a few months back. set in the middle of the animated series from a couple of years back.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

and it's getting better with each episode, the recent episodes were great, really building up

• Advertisement

I CAN'T BELIEVE THEY PUSSIED THE TRANDOSHIANS!!!!!

I spend many hours in Republic Commado as a commando, blasting shotgun weilding trandos (some of them scaring the **** out of me when they jumped out), and they go a make them all wussy!:mad:

FFS

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 319 ✭✭jamsieboy86

I seen two episodes, surprised me how good it is, do ye reckon a DVD of it will be out for Christmas?

I seen two episodes, surprised me how good it is, do ye reckon a DVD of it will be out for Christmas?

not a hope i would reckon. possibly, but they're at episode 7 now out of how many?? i'd imagine at least 10. wouldn't leave much time for a DVD release...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 319 ✭✭jamsieboy86

Shame really, would've helped fill those long days after Christmas.

O Jesus, just got around to viewing the "Jar Jar" episode, thought that fooker was finished with, worst episode so far by a country mile

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭V9

Episode 9 was fantastic, best ep since the "Rookies" episode. Tonights ep should be good "the lair of Grevious"

KIT FISTO!

slave1 wrote: »
    O Jesus, just got around to viewing the "Jar Jar" episode, thought that fooker was finished with, worst episode so far by a country mile

Have to catch up again - two eps behind now :(

Not looking forward to this one...

Tonights ep should be good "the lair of Grevious"
    Twas class episode, glad I didn't check the title out as it would have ruined who's lair it was, especially the statues

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,150 ✭✭✭Rawr

I've been following this series on video streming since launch.

...and it bugs the hell out of me.

I'm not a die-hard Star Wars fan, but I really enjoy the series, characters and lore of it. I actually liked Episode III and to a lesser extent Episode II...and I thought that the first Star Wars: Clone Wars was a truly excellent and well done cartoon.

So, you can imagine that I was looking forward to this CGI Clone Wars....

What we get just shocks me....
    I am beside myself in disbelief with the laziness of the writing in this series. I know it's supposed to be geared towards kids...but come on! That's no excuse for not trying at all.

There are good points about Star Wars - The Clone Wars....but the bad points just bug me way too much to enjoy the show properly. First and foremost...the biggest problem has to be...

-Asoka
    Let's put aside the continuty problems of Skywalker having a Padawan for a moment and take a look at this cardboard cut-out of a character. We've seen characters like this, countless times in kids shows. Out to prove herself against her adult counterparts, with her personality replaced by one-liners. I've only really watched these episodes once so far, but also looks like the writers go out of thier way to give this annoying little brat lines in every episode, even when they are not needed. And renaming stuff to 'Skyguy' and 'Artooie' is just beyond forgiveness. Really....what was wrong with 'Artoo'? Wasn't that good enough?

..Other Problems...

-Jar Jar
    Dear God...I though we saw the last of him after Episode III. I had loved the fact that the only line he had in EpIII was 'Excuse me....' I had always read that to be a subtle apology for EpI and that he'd never be back.
    But no...he's back and more Jar Jar than ever. Lucas really won't let this one go will he? He's appeared in one episode so far and will appear in the next episode to air. Expect to see him more...

-The Dialogue
    Star Wars - Clone Wars took a que for it's sister cartoon Samurai Jack and focused more on cinematics than dialogue. This worked very well in both I feel , even to the extent that some Chapters had little or no dialogue at all. 'The' Clone Wars goes completly in the opposite direction, injecting lines where none are needed, resulting in a lot of very stupid banther.

-The Battle Droids
    I feel that they were already kinda goofy in EpI, and had gotten a little worse by EpIII, but really, now they are just silly.

Anyway, I just needed to rant about that and get it off my chest. If those 4 things were either fixed, or just removed, I'd love the current show.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Well I'm 10 eps in and this show is really holding up well. Even the JarJar episode wasn't THAT bad. I think this show in time is going to gain legs and re-established a love of Star Wars with people who were let down by the prequel movies.

Ep 9 was probably my favourite of the lot so far. Kind of gave me a clear signal that one of the weakest elements of the prequels is the character of Anakin himself. His arrogance, selfishness and seemingly near-unlimited ability makes for a guy you cant really root for or really care about that much. In ep9 he's nowhere to be seen and as a result the show benefits. The fight between the rookie Ahsoka and the powerful Ventress was for me possibly as exciting as the Darth Maul fight in TPM.

it really is really good.

love the narration by bob kane

Haven't watched an episode now since six. Must get back up to speed...

Just watched latest episode 'The Gungan General'.

It was not as bad as I feared, but the whole thing was still very silly.

Jar Jar is in this one...alas...and still acting like the clown that he has been written as. But for some odd reason, he's not as annoying in this Episode than he is in any other part of Star Wars. His voice is different too (new voice actor?)

I felt that the interaction between Dooku, Kenobi and Skywalker to be out of character. Dooku and the Jedi are hell-bent on killing each other, and yet here they act like a three stooges parody.

However, that said, to my very pleasant surprise, Asoka is nowhere to be seen, and thus makes it an OK episode in my books :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭V9

Have to agree, not as bad as I feared at all. I think yer man Best still does Jar Jars voice, could be wrong.

This weeks ep is gonna be brilliant Aalya is making an apperance at long last!

• Advertisement

Watched Episode 13: 'Jedi Crash' last night.

Not a bad episode here, the quality is improving...the opening of this particular episode was particularly good, starting off with a very interesting droid captain commanding the Seperatist forces and a decent opening battle.

Ahsoka is back :( but not as annoying as usual. However, I've now nailed down another thing I don't like about her. Despite the fact that she's a young inexperienced padawan, she seems to give no heed whatsoever to the Jedi Knights/Masters around her. She know's better than them, and that's that. Now, this isn't a new idea, we've gotten plenty of that before with Anakin...but it just feels out of place with this character. Anakin has been like this as a young adult, with some experience, where as Ahsoka is just a little kid.

What bugs me mostly in this episode is Ahsoka's disregard for Aayla Secura's orders (dispite her being a Master Jedi General).

However, apart from that, an OK episode and worth a watch. Aayla Secura's addition is a major plus here in my opinion.

Watched Episode 15 - 'Trespass' last night.

This one was pretty damn good. No Ashoka again (always a plus), and some very good battle scenes.

My only major complaint would be the very 'stock' character of the Chairman, who's character in itself gives away too much of what will happen later in the episode. The execution of what happens is, however, very well done.

More like this episode would be great!

Rawr wrote: »
    No Ashoka again (always a plus)

+1 to that!!

Watched Episode 16 - 'The Hidden Enemy' last night.

It was yet another, refreshing, Ashoka-free breath of air. And for one brief, wonderful, moment, the Battle Droids were not goofy, and became pretty damn menacing.

Ashoka is back in the next episode:(, but I enjoyed her extended hiatus. Please LucasCo....less of her in season 2!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

CLONE WARS is fantastic.

"Trespass" is a cowboys and indians story (they even circled the "wagons") and "Hidden Enemy" - great!!!!

Ashoka's absence in a few few episodes and "Hidden Enemy" show that the stories are not being told chronologically - anybody here obsessed enough to help me figure out the order?

• Advertisement

CLONE WARS is fantastic.

"Trespass" is a cowboys and indians story (they even circled the "wagons") and "Hidden Enemy" - great!!!!

Ashoka's absence in a few few episodes and "Hidden Enemy" show that the stories are not being told chronologically - anybody here obsessed enough to help me figure out the order?

I had been wondering about her (welcome) absence in these episodes, and any other she has not appeared in.

One thought is that this is just a plot-hole device to allow 'The Clone Wars' to fit into the general continuity of the earlier 'Clone Wars' series. Much of the final chapters of 'Clone Wars' happen between Skywalker's knighting and Episode III. 'The Clone Wars' happens during this time as well, and the occasional lack of Ashoka can be used to explain away her absence in later 'Clone Wars' chapters (one would hope her death was the reason...and I'm still hoping....)

But I think you're right about the episodes are out of running order. 'The Hidden Enemy' appears to actually be a prequel to 'The Clone Wars' feature, setting up ther opening battle of the film. (A prequel of a prequel!)

I think we'll find out in the next episode if everything is in sequence.

Rawr,

It may be Lucasfilm's intention to have the entire series out of sequence. It leaves room for more story telling in accompanying literature. A writer can tell what happened before what we saw.

Didn't explain that well, did I.

Rawr,

It may be Lucasfilm's intention to have the entire series out of sequence. It leaves room for more story telling in accompanying literature. A writer can tell what happened before what we saw.

Didn't explain that well, did I.

No, you explained that well, and after seeing the latest double-bill last night, I agree with you.

It does appear now that 'The Hidden Enemy' is a prequel to the movie that kicked off the series, as well as any non-Ashoka episodes featured.

The two new episodes were not bad. However the 'Mad Doctor' antagonist here is just too damned stock. Also, why is the CIS now called the 'Seperatist Alliance'? Is it because they can't call it the 'Confederacy' (understandable one that) or is it because CIS was also the name of the ex-USSR in the 90's?

For anyone who has seen this two-parter...no prizes for guessing my favourite scene :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭rcunning03

it's a CGI series to follow on the CGI film that was in cinema a few months back. set in the middle of the animated series from a couple of years back.

Does anybody know the timeline of the GCI and Animated series (from a few years back)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭rcunning03

rcunning03 wrote: »
    Does anybody know the timeline of the GCI and Animated series (from a few years back)

I read the rest of the posts now nevermind:)

How is Ashoka going to die?

She has to IMO. Just for continuity.

How is Ashoka going to die?

She has to IMO. Just for continuity.

I have a deep, terrifying feeling that she won't.

Given the amount of a damn they've given continuity thus far with her creation, I have little faith that they'll do an Order 66 on her and let her live into the Ep 4 - 6 era.

Although I personally hope she dies long before Order 66. That sound's very evil, but like Scrappy Doo before her, annoying cartoon creations like this deserve an erase in my books.

Rawr wrote: »
    I have a deep, terrifying feeling that she won't.

Given the amount of a damn they've given continuity thus far with her creation, I have little faith that they'll do an Order 66 on her and let her live into the Ep 4 - 6 era.

Although I personally hope she dies long before Order 66. That sound's very evil, but like Scrappy Doo before her, annoying cartoon creations like this deserve an erase in my books.

i tell you people - get used to her - she will survive order 66 and ashoka tano will be the 'recurring Jedi guest star' in the live action series :)

i tell you people - get used to her - she will survive order 66 and ashoka tano will be the 'recurring Jedi guest star' in the live action series :)

The stuff of nightmares Spon Farmer, it truly is!

Just watched Episode 19 a few minutes ago.
    It wasn't bad at all, although very Ashoka heavy (no surprise there.)
    Here, she sort of screws up the credibility of not only a fairly good plot, but also the characters around her.

In the beginning of the episode Ashoka is given command of an attack wing, disobeys all of her orders and f**ks up royal resulting in defeat and many deaths. How does Skywalker punish her? By giving her command of the whole ship and nearly the whole mission featured in this episode.

Now I think I know for certain why I hate this character so much. She's a Mary Stu.

A Mary Stu is a type of character who is inserted into a series with established characters. Mary Stu's are typically, and without reason, excellent at everything, automatically liked by the main cast and are the solution to all problems. Often that comes with little character development. Sounds familiar in my books....

However on a positive note, the CIS forces here are pretty good. The CIS captain is a fairly effective villian, and my favourite Seperatist race, the Techno Union, is featured. Ignoring Ashoka, not a bad episode.

Episode 19 is the first in an arc of episodes featuring the Republic's fight to liberate one of thier CIS-occupied worlds. It looks like this arc will run up to the season end. A cliffhanger perhaps? Death of a certain Jediette? (I can live in hope :rolleyes:) Either way, should be good viewing.

Rawr, I agree with you about the CIS commanders.About time they had some clever and dangerous leaders apart from Dooku and Grevious.
    Obi-Wan and Mace will have their hands full with that TechnoUnion guy next week next week.

however, in regards to Ashoka the character is growing on me. the fact she screwed up and was still given command is one of those Star Wars moments that has two layers - a moral about trusting yourself to do well even in the aftermath of disaster [:P] and second an example of how arrogant the Jedi are that a teenager of their order can get an entire cruiser and fighter squadron destroyed and still be appointed the leader of more experienced warriors [:mad:]

Ashoka ain't gonna die guys - not anytime soon anyway.:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement