Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fiesta Aux drive belt replacement

Options
  • 10-10-2008 10:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭

Hi, I have to replace the aux drive belt on a 97 1.25 Fiesta Zetec as it's badly worn. Anyone familiar with how this belt is tensioned? There does not seem to be the usual adjustment at the alternator.

Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

AFAIK it depends on the outfit of the car. Some have an automatic tensioner, some don't. If there is no adjustment on the alternator then that suggests you have one with an automatic tensioner. In that case to get the belt off you need to put a spanner on the tensioner pulley bolt and turn it anticlockwise to release the tension and to put on a new belt. Release it and the belt is re-tensioned. If you don't have an automatic tensioner, then the alternator mounting must be adjustable. To tension the belt you need to move the alternator away from the engine until there is about 10 mm deflection in the longest leg of the belt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭mondeoman

Pete67 wrote: »
    Hi, I have to replace the aux drive belt on a 97 1.25 Fiesta Zetec as it's badly worn. Anyone familiar with how this belt is tensioned? There does not seem to be the usual adjustment at the alternator.

Many thanks.

Make sure you note the route of the belt BEFORE you take the old one off.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

Indeed - sounds like the voice of experience there!

Pete.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

Thanks folks, very straightforward in the end, automatic tensioner at the rear of engine, once you take the load off the belt just slips off the pulleys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭mondeoman

Pete67 wrote: »
    Indeed - sounds like the voice of experience there!

Pete.

im afraid i got caught out on a 2000 fiesta ghia:o.i had to ring my local dealer & he explained over the phone which route the belt took:)

glad you got it srted:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement