Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

leylandii- yes or no? please help.

Options
  • 10-10-2008 10:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭

hi, need to plant a fast growing hedge this winter. i need a good shelter belt from the wind. very confused with what to plant. some folk tell you to steer clear from leylandii,while others swear by it. can anybody tell me what would be good to plant for a good,fast growing shelter belt? cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭fastrac

Leylandii.Short term gain.If your intending to stay in your current location long term pain.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

fastrac wrote: »
    Leylandii.Short term gain.If your intending to stay in your current location long term pain.

Why would you say long term pain out of interest? I have a 92m stretch along the edge of our site, which is beside a railway line, would love to block a lot of it out. Considering Leylandi also, but the area gets a nice belt of wind, the only thing which puts me off is the fact it could get wind burn and end up redundant! :(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

grows fast, gets to level you want. you think it's great, then it laughs at you, grows way past that, then for good measure just keeps on going. my parents have it at home and i vowed i would never have it myself or let anyone i know put it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭secman

Courts in England bunged up with cases relating to those terrorists of trees.
    If you are in the wilderness and need lots of protection from the elements , work away, but if not, too much hassle down the short road .......!

Secman

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭mydogjack

i see, varied opinions. some people say it grows really well but after 15-20 years and trimming in that time, it stops growing, and becomes bare. any alternatives?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

we are about 100 ft from the edge so it would not effect us. Bar their growth rate, what other issue should I be concerned about?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

They have a very invasive root system and sap moisture from a very large area.

OP- what size is your site and also what height of a windbreak do you require.

There are many alternatives but more info is required.

IMO - Leylandii are utterly unsuitable for urban spaces (AFAIK use of Leylandii is now banned in such areas in UK). In a rural setting, it is somewhat different, where most likely an abundance of space. Yes cheap, fast growing and evergreen, but IMO a bit dull as a screen/windbreak, especially when there are so many other alternatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

If you can plant it far enough away from your house that you can let it grow at its own rate and not be bothered by the height it will get to, then fire ahead. You'll have a good shelter belt in a relatively short time.

If you have notions of allowing it to a certain height and keeping it trimmed, forget it. It's nothing short of a weed in this circumstance. And it's not suitable for an urban location if you wish to continue to be on good terms with anyone on your street!

Advertisement