Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cherished Plates - Price increase from €315 to €1000

Options
  • 10-10-2008 10:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭

Pretty much what the subject says, the price of Cherished Numbers is to go from 315 Euro to an even 1k. Nice :eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Seperate

I didn't think we did these... do you mean for people to do the likes of '01 D 53' - as in 01 D S3 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

ned78 wrote: »
    Pretty much what the subject says, the price of Cherished Numbers is to go from 315 Euro to an even 1k. Nice :eek:
    Anyone else remember learning about Giffen goods in school?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

where did you hear this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Seperate wrote: »
    I didn't think we did these... do you mean for people to do the likes of '01 D 53' - as in 01 D S3 ?

Yep, they're the ones.
    Kind of typical Government move to be honest. Instead of raising it a bit, to maybe €500, they now put it into the price category where 99% of people will just say "ah, I won't bother, a grand is too expensive" so they'll end up getting nothing.

I still want to know where this info is coming from...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

steve06 wrote: »
    where did you hear this?

Internal eMail at work today.
    I still want to know where this info is coming from...

Jaysus. Give me 2 mins. I'm trying to have my coffee here ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

So what? If that sort of thing is important to you then you deserve to be seperated from your money.

do you work at the VRO?

Nope.

nipplenuts wrote: »
    So what? If that sort of thing is important to you then you deserve to be seperated from your money.
    Jesus there's always one isn't there...

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

A great idea. A good way of taxing people with way to much money.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,245 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Not surprised really if this is true.

I am surprised however that they didn't tap into this during the celtic tiger when people had lots of money to through away at vanity plates and the likes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Talk about hitting a man when he's down, the poor motor trade :D. I'm guessing this is only the start of it, 20% on road tax and 5cent on a litre petrol will be next.

I think they should allow for €10,000 your own personal plate which is transferable to your next car for life, eg 09 - D - DAVE or whatever, then we would see the real lads with the cash.

Here is a better idea. The government\VRO office should make a big deal out of these place and auction them off to the highest bidder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

That's pointless, I'd say the amount of applications for custom regs will drop through the floor.

Rather than selling a decent number of regs at €315 a pop, they'll sell barely any at €1,000 each. Another "revenue neutral" gov't miscalculation?

AudiChris wrote: »
    That's pointless, I'd say the amount of applications for custom regs will drop through the floor.

Rather than selling a decent number of regs at €315 a pop, they'll sell barely any at €1,000 each. Another "revenue neutral" gov't miscalculation?
    Totally agree, it's a pointless exercise!

I just hope it's only for 09 cars onwards or something like that. It's nice to take a piece of the money you've saved on importing a car to make it more personal. This will kill the cherished reg market for sure!

Just to backup Ned, we just spoke to VRO, they confirmed Ned's info.

Just to backup Ned, we just spoke to VRO, they confirmed Ned's info.
    When is it coming into affect?

Lads, I personally have no interest in owning a personal plate myself. But i think their is a huge market for this. Check out the UK and other countries. It big business. Revenue\VRO\Government check out which plates are in demand from previous applications and then price them accordingly. If they sell they sell if they don;'t the don't.

Well, yes, it is pointless in the guise they've delivered this price change in. I've been saying for years that the Government should actually bring in UK style cherished numbers, like A1V1N for someone called Alvin, etc, and auction those off. They would generate a nice stream of revenue from that, and it could be used to offset VRT (As if!)

And to all the begrudgers on this thread, seriously, get a life. If someone wants a nice number on their car, leave them to it, they're not harming you, or infringing on your way of life, and if that's the type of thing that upsets and worries you, you've got issues.

• Advertisement

kikel wrote: »
    Lads, I personally have no interest in owning a personal plate myself. But i think their is a huge market for this. Check out the UK and other countries. It big business. Revenue\VRO\Government check out which plates are in demand from previous applications and then price them accordingly. If they sell they sell if they don;'t the don't.
    that will never work here as our plates can't be transferred and they have the year on them.

why buy 08-D-kikel for €1,000 when it can't be transferred and even if it would, you'd need another 08 car!

that will never work here as our plates can't be transferred and they have the year on them.

why buy 08-D-kikel for €1,000 when it can't be transferred and even if it would, you'd need another 08 car!

I was more talking about reg's that people already apply to get eg XX X 318 for a BMW or JJ kavanagh always getting XX X 1 from a number of counties. Or how about me going for 09 KK 1 because my initials are KK. I don't like this but i see a market for it.

Anyway, the government could introduce transferable plates if the so decided.

When is it coming into affect?

Effective as of 7th Oct, they'll start taking applications for '09 plates on 15th Oct.

yea I just called there, already in affect and not only for 09 cars - for cars of any year!

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Hotwheels

I wanna Plate like this..

ACDC.jpg

I'd say it's because demand went up due to more people importing cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,450 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Rather than selling a decent number of regs at €315 a pop, they'll sell barely any at €1,000 each.

I doubt it. I'm with Anan on the Giffen goods here: the more expensive it is, the more it sells

But as others said, the government should hold auctions or differentiate in prices in some other way to maximise revenue from cherished plates.

More money coming in through plate sales means less money needs to come from other tax sources (like you or me). And the punter who buys a 5INGH or VIP1 type plate for €1,000,000 feels great too. Win-win situation if ever there was one imho! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

Why do UK cherished plates appear like the word instead of actually being the word eg 51NGH instead of SINGH? Do they have to have both letters and numbers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Chergar

unkel wrote: »
    I doubt it. I'm with Anan on the Giffen goods here: the more expensive it is, the more it sells
    :D

Hey Unkel, Not going to go off topic here, but a giffen good is very hard to assertain and for true theoritical expansive economics we cant really define it in real world circumstances.
    For basic theoritcal (all things being equal) study we use things like inferior basic requirments, such as bread. this is simply because as the basics in life go up in price, we need to use more of our income with it and increase consumption.
    To class a 1000 euro reg plate into this would be hard to prove. Altho it would be interesting to try!!! (and possibly for another thread) as you might win a noble price for truly proving a giffen good. Altho exclusivity may rise, the margin between 350 euro and 1000 euro is probably not enough to increase demand based on that, and as we do not need the reg plate as a neccassary item, i dont think an increase in price will increase demand for this. I would have to agree with other posters that it will drop off. But it would be interesting to see, and possibly debate on the theoritics of it.

(i'm actually an economist, so that's why im sad enough to find this interesting:))

• Advertisement

TheBazman wrote: »
    Why do UK cherished plates appear like the word instead of actually being the word eg 51NGH instead of SINGH? Do they have to have both letters and numbers?

Because the number 1 is too similar to the letter i, etc, and in the event of an accident, you must be able to report the plate clearly. Hence numbers take priority over letters ... 1 replaces I, 4 replaces A, 3 replaces E, etc.

Advertisement