Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cherished Plates - Price increase from €315 to €1000

Options
2»

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

unkel wrote: »
    I doubt it. I'm with Anan on the Giffen goods here: the more expensive it is, the more it sells

But as others said, the government should hold auctions or differentiate in prices in some other way to maximise revenue from cherished plates.

More money coming in through plate sales means less money needs to come from other tax sources (like you or me). And the punter who buys a 5INGH or VIP1 type plate for €1,000,000 feels great too. Win-win situation if ever there was one imho! :D

maybe if we had proper cherished plates, some people don't mind paying 300 quid for an even number or 25000 or whatever, very much doubt people will pay 1000 they will never get back for it.

They will still get someone buying 09 D 89 for a DB9, and the odd 335 and stuff, but not all the even or 101010 type numbers imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

kikel wrote: »
    Here is a better idea. The government\VRO office should make a big deal out of these place and auction them off to the highest bidder.

Agreed, that would be the clever solution.

Putting it up to 1k a plate is madness, and hope to god that's not an indication of what's to come with the budget.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭recycle

IMO everyone whose posted on the topic of why dont the government introduce a UK style chesried reg numbers has completey missed the bigger picture.

Theres massive revenue earned from those who spalsh the big cash and trade every 1st/2nd/3rd year in order to have the current years reg plate.

The jokers in govt would loose massive revenues if they introduced private cherished numbers.

After all who can tell the difference between a 2007 and 2008 porsche cayenne with a private registration plate? Nobody.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

recycle wrote: »
    IMO everyone whose posted on the topic of why dont the government introduce a UK style chesried reg numbers has completey missed the bigger picture.

Theres massive revenue earned from those who spalsh the big cash and trade every 1st/2nd/3rd year in order to have the current years reg plate.

The jokers in govt would loose massive revenues if they introduced private cherished numbers.

After all who can tell the difference between a 2007 and 2008 porsche cayenne with a private registration plate? Nobody.

You have got a point, but this would be one step up from that. An extra source of income for the government.

Give the car a normal registration and let owners of cherished reg's replace the year reg. When they resell thge car the old place is put back on. Most people would not bother with a cherisehed place as it's a waste of money in their eyes and maybe others think they stupid

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Generally, the owner's neighbours/colleagues/relations are the ones who can tell the diff, and are usually the ones the owner are trying to impress.

• Advertisement

ned78 wrote: »
    Generally, the owner's neighbours/colleagues/relations are the ones who can tell the diff, and are usually the ones the owner are trying to impress.

Not a chance.

Most of ur colleagues/relations will generally be keyed into your 'affairs'.

U wont be impressing them when they know how the merc ur driving is crippling you financially thru some HP scheme or other.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

This move will seriously curtail the market in cherished plates for sure. Very few people will order numbers now at 1000 a pop. Not on mainstream cars anyway, only the upmarket stuff and in much smaller numbers. Buys alloy wheels & tyres at that kind of money. They will probably make a price adjustment once more, some time in the future. Govt have to learn things the hard way.

In the meantime, for those who already have a specific number and have no intention of changing their car anytime soon, for once we have beaten the system. The 315 outlay is starting to look like a very shrewd move indeed.

Most of ur colleagues/relations will generally be keyed into your 'affairs'.

None of my colleagues or relations have a clue about my financial affairs, nor will they. It's the same in most other people's lives I'm sure.

Regardless of your opinion, even most of the UK motoring magazines would agree that when you buy a new car, it's to impress the neighbours - hence the phrase 'keeping up with the Jones' '.

If your logic were applied to the UK market, and if people wouldn't have an incentive to buy a new car if they had a private plate as you suggest, why then is the UK such a buoyant market? Is it due to the large population? Perhaps, but there's also a massive cherished plate industry in the UK, and it hasn't dented car sales whatsoever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

copacetic wrote: »
    maybe if we had proper cherished plates, some people don't mind paying 300 quid for an even number or 25000 or whatever, very much doubt people will pay 1000 they will never get back for it.

If they were transferable, you'd have loads of people looking to buy them, but as it is you're only buying a nice plate for the next owner.

ned78 wrote: »
    None of my colleagues or relations have a clue about my financial affairs, nor will they. It's the same in most other people's lives I'm sure.

Regardless of your opinion, even most of the UK motoring magazines would agree that when you buy a new car, it's to impress the neighbours - hence the phrase 'keeping up with the Jones' '.

If your logic were applied to the UK market, and if people wouldn't have an incentive to buy a new car if they had a private plate as you suggest, why then is the UK such a buoyant market? Is it due to the large population? Perhaps, but there's also a massive cherished plate industry in the UK, and it hasn't dented car sales whatsoever.

Ok, if you say so.

ps Your secretarys keeping secrets from you. She Knows.

• Advertisement

ps Your secretarys keeping secrets from you. She Knows.

If only I had a secretary. Mmmmmmmmm. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 65,450 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Chergar wrote: »
    Hey Unkel, Not going to go off topic here, but a giffen good is very hard to assertain and for true theoritical expansive economics we cant really define it in real world circumstances.
    For basic theoritcal (all things being equal) study we use things like inferior basic requirments, such as bread. this is simply because as the basics in life go up in price, we need to use more of our income with it and increase consumption.

I'm not a fan of the narrow definition of a Giffen good :)
    Chergar wrote: »
    i'm actually an economist

Yeah you me and George Lee. It means nothing :D;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Chergar

unkel wrote: »
    I'm not a fan of the narrow definition of a Giffen good :)

Yeah you me and George Lee. It means nothing :D;)

Hey Unkel

It means nothing in context of disscussing a point (which it was not what i was trying to do_, but it does legitamise the sadness of being interested in giffen goods. It wasnt a back my point up comment thing, just that's why im interested in it. I didnt know i gave a narrow definition of a giffen good:), just trying to see how a 1000 euro reg plate is a basic good, compared to a regular reg. but like i said didnt want to go off topic... Just pointing out that you were HARSH:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

Why on earth anyone would pay to have a particular plate in the Irish format is beyond me. Are there statistics for the number of ballons who do this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

el tel wrote: »
    Why on earth anyone would pay to have a particular plate in the Irish format is beyond me. Are there statistics for the number of ballons who do this?
    xx-x-355
    xx-x-911
    xx-x-599
    xx-x-360
    xx-x-430
    xx-D-89

etc etc

All very desirable plates!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

steve06 wrote: »
    xx-x-355
    xx-x-911
    xx-x-599
    xx-x-360
    xx-x-430
    xx-D-89

etc etc

All very desirable plates!

All very naff more like. If with minimal dicking about the registration corresponded to a person's name then that would be partially understandable but obviously this does not apply in Ireland on the most part. To have the number match the car model is dorky.

el tel wrote: »
    All very naff more like ... To have the number match the car model is dorky.

But that's your opinion. And the world would be a very boring place if everyone had the same opinion. Why all the negativity? If you don't like one, don't buy one. If looking at one upsets you, look away. If you want to buy one, do. Live and let live!

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

I'd rather 700-odd on something I'll never buy than on my cartax.

I fully endorse cherished plates - keep the money flowing in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭joeperry

I saw a 08 3 series coupe today and its reg was 08 D 320i should read 3201,why someone wants to advertise they have only have a 320i is a bit silly,but it was debaged aswell......plonker!!?!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭irish.rugby.fan

Really cant see the sense in increasing the price by so much.

I was thinking of getting a cherished plate :o:p:), 07 G 71 when i was going to get a GTi but ended up getting a Cooper S instead so didnt bother.

Would have paid the €315 but def not €1,000.

Surely demand will fall by more than 2/3's leading to less income from cherished plates?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,457 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

It'll cut down on the amount of people who appy for the same number. to be fair, the ones that usually sell are 1, 17, 21, 53, 54, 207, 308, 911, 320, 520, 530 etc. there's only a hadnful of them per county. they'll still sell the popular ones that have always sold. and because theyre making over 3 times as much per registration, they won't mind if a few people don't buy them

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

colm_mcm wrote: »
    there's only a hadnful of them per county
    Surely there would only be one per county (or two in those counties with two plates)? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 65,450 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

colm_mcm wrote: »
    they'll still sell the popular ones that have always sold. and because theyre making over 3 times as much per registration, they won't mind if a few people don't buy them

My prediction too. They might sell fewer cherished plates but total revenue will increase. Which is good for all of us.

Totally agree it is Dorky and people with plates like this are plonkers, but as pointer out by previous posters it all about making money.

It's been pointed out that people won't get their money back with a cherished plate such as XX X 318, etc, etc, etc. But if your paying an extra €1000 for them i expect sellers will be looking for a higher price on their car come resale time. And ya know what, their will be someone willing to pay a premium for a car with such a plate. We probably won't even notice this extra premium as who would notice a difference of 5-700 in secoond hand car prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,322 ✭✭✭✭Esel

kikel wrote: »
    ...who would notice a difference of 5-700 in secoond hand car prices.
    A bangernomics afficionado, that's who! :D

Not your ornery onager

esel wrote: »
    A bangernomics afficionado, that's who! :D

LOL, at that stage the plate is worth nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

I'd say 80-90% of drivers don't know it's possible to reserve a numberplate at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the DVLA have a flat charge on personalised plates, it's the person who was smart enough to get it at the flat fee that makes a quick buck at auction??

I don't see that this is going to cause much of a fall off in the number of 3 series on the roads like xx-d-1325, xx-d-1225, xx-d-1125 as €695 isn't that much to someone spending €75k

• Registered Users Posts: 73,457 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Surely there would only be one per county (or two in those counties with two plates)? :confused:

I mean there are only a handful of valuable and in demand numbers per county. maybe 30 or so. and a lot of counties won't even have demand for all those

• Advertisement
Advertisement