Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A router plugged into another router?

Options
  • 10-10-2008 11:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭

Would this setup work?

ISP: Eircom.

Telephone socket >> ADSL filter >> ADSL cable >> Eircom's ADSL modem router >> ethernet cable >> Gateway VoIP router >> ethernet cable >> PC.

Reason I'd want this setup is, my gateway VoIP router (Linksys) is what I've been using for some time in my previous home, which had UPC cable broadband. I used the VoIP part for Blueface and I want to keep that at my new place. Of course, since this is a gateway router it is not compatible with ADSL broadband, since it does not have a built-in ADSL modem. For this reason, I'm thinking of setting up as above. If question is, will it work? If not, I may have to replace Eircom's ADSL modem router for an ADSL ethernet modem (not router), such as a BT Voyager 190, which *I believe* will definitely work.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

You'll have to forward the ports ports etc. but it is a workable set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

paulm17781 wrote: »
    You'll have to forward the ports ports etc. but it is a workable set up.

That's great news. What do you mean though, to forward the ports?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭stanley1

pick your router from here, www.portforward.com

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

you could switch the ADSL to modem only, ie "bridged" so only the 2nd box is router

Advertisement