Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N3-M50 interchange

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Ye it will be great when it comes. Ye the supports could be be for sign alright, i think there is a pedestrian bridge going in around there somewhere.

I hate that short bus lane along the N3 towards the roundabout, pointless!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Can someone explain why they don't get rid of the big roundabout that's over the M50 and just replace it with roads straight through?

Random wrote: »
    Can someone explain why they don't get rid of the big roundabout that's over the M50 and just replace it with roads straight through?

River, train line, gas main i guess.
    Is there anywhere at all to get live updates / photos etc on the progress? The www.m50.ie website is useless :(

I agree, it doesnt give much, just if they are doing road closures etc. Best way is driving along it really

• Registered Users Posts: 68,778 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Because there is a LEISURE CENTRE in the way. Only in Ireland.

Buy it off them .. they'll be happy to sell I would say.

There's also the option of working around it .. it's off to the side a bit .. it's not gonna stop a dual carraigeway from the travellodge to the Blanch roundabout surely?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,778 ✭✭✭✭L1011

They are working around it - they're skewing the N3 through around to the north of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Davy wrote: »
    I hate that short bus lane along the N3 towards the roundabout, pointless!

Inbound ? Doesn't that bus lane stretch as far as Clonee, possibly further ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

While having to work around the leisure centre is silly alright, if it wasn't there it possibly would still be easiest to work around the massive roundabout. Besides - it isn't as simple as "straight through" because you have the Blanchardstown roundabout/local access to accommodate - this will be pretty nicely done with the new junction.

The finished N3 junction should look a bit crazy from the air though, not to mention on the ground!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,020 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Because the main thrust of the junction improvement is to freeflow the M50<->N3 west, not to freeflow the movement in and out of the city. It's sort of pointless to provide a simple 'up and over' because the N3 inbound has a signal controlled junction (Auburn Ave.) almost immediately after the M50. If this juction were out in the sticks with no junctions either side, this is how you'd improve it. There are countless examples of this type of improvement in GB actually. Just not suitable/sufficient for the calamity that is the current M50 J6. Dreadful planning allowed development WAY too close to the existing junction of course.

Jip wrote: »
    Inbound ? Doesn't that bus lane stretch as far as Clonee, possibly further ?

I mean the short stretch from the blanch shopping centre on ramp to the roundabout at the entrance to blanch village. Its only 200 metres long and traffic has to merge and then splits again when it gets to the roundabout. For the amount of buses that use it, i think it would be better to finish the bus lane before the merge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,492 ✭✭✭Heroditas

murphaph wrote: »
    because the N3 inbound has a signal controlled junction (Auburn Ave.) almost immediately after the M50.

They could have considered an underpass for this junction - much like the Newcastle junction on the N4.

Heroditas wrote: »
    They could have considered an underpass for this junction - much like the Newcastle junction on the N4.
    That would be interesting !

Heroditas wrote: »

Would be good, but id say cost a big factor. I hate that roundabout though, coming from auburn ave can be a nightmare at times. The lighted junction hopefully will improve things

• Registered Users Posts: 9,492 ✭✭✭Heroditas

That would be interesting !

Indeed! Think of the chaos that would have ensued while it was being constructed. :eek:

However, they did a very good job at the Newcastle junction and kept disruption to a minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭richardjjd

The plan will be for n3 city bound traffic to be entirely freeflow from before the Blanchardstown roundabout until after the Auburn Roundabout -- see the image [url=https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/40424/49842.jpg[/url]. It appears from the image that both of these roundabouts will cease to exist...

richardjjd wrote: »
    The plan will be for n3 city bound traffic to be entirely freeflow from before the Blanchardstown roundabout until after the Auburn Roundabout -- see the image [url=https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/40424/49842.jpg[/url]. It appears from the image that both of these roundabouts will cease to exist...

Correct, both roundabouts will be gone.

The roundabout at the auburn ave will now be controlled with just lights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭triple-M

The plan will be for n3 city bound traffic to be entirely freeflow from before the Blanchardstown roundabout until after the Auburn Roundabout -- see the image here. It appears from the image that both of these roundabouts will cease to exist...
    I could be wrong but it seems on that image that the n3 inbound underpasses the auburn avenue junction but on the other images it meets up with the junction at the traffic lights,anybody know whats actually going to happen here??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭IIMII

Can wait for this upgrade to be complete. Got stuck in Ballymun on the southbound land of the M50 the other mroning, and it reminded me of how bad the Blanch - Ballymount section was during that upgrade. The N3 interchange upgrade will be a complete God-send

Guessing you were stuck on tuesday when guards closed the road at blanch. It was madness. Hopefully with the new three lanes their will be no need for a full road closure, because with the new design of free flow junctions the easy up and over will be gone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

The plan will be for n3 city bound traffic to be entirely freeflow from before the Blanchardstown roundabout until after the Auburn Roundabout -- see the image here. It appears from the image that both of these roundabouts will cease to exist...
    In the new image, the free flowing slip is removed.

But from the mistakes of the Redcow, I hope they make sure they make it as freeflow much as possible, so we wont have to spend more money in years to come filling in the free flow movements..

• Advertisement

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/40424/49842.jpg

Is this the newest or is there a more recent one?

I think this one shows the layout a bit better:

64730.JPG

That roundabout in the middle there ... you're not gonna be able to do full laps of that are you?

And is there any updated information anywhere on expected completion dates or different phases?

That roundabout in the middle there ... you're not gonna be able to do full laps of that are you?
    You will, either to sling-shot back from the M50 southbound to northbound, or to go back around to Blanch village

Then I'm a little confused.

How does the traffic work in this picture?
    * Blue - M50 southbound to Blanch Village
    * Yellow - Blanch Village to N3 Inbound

Surely this traffic flow doesn't work? is there traffic lights there? Have I missed something?

++ edit .. sorry there's a red line there too.. I don't know why I felt the need to draw the blue one over it as that actually showed one of the routes fine .. hope it doesn't confused! Just ignore the red!

Surely this traffic flow doesn't work? is there traffic lights there? Have I missed something?

remember that a serious amount of the traffic at the roundabout at the moment wont be their any more. The center roundabout will be more so for local traffic for blanch village

Seems a bit mad. Which traffic flow is gonna get the yield / stop sign?

What's going on over at Auburn? Was driving past there today and coming outbound just getting to the Auburn roundabout there's a load of trees gone and a big lump of concrete there. Are they getting rid of loads of trees for some sortof sliproad to Auburn Ave? Is it an elevated slip?

And another (yah .. another!) thing. What's this road I've circled with green? Is the pink the road that leads to it or what?

Davy wrote: »
    Guessing you were stuck on tuesday when guards closed the road at blanch. It was madness. Hopefully with the new three lanes their will be no need for a full road closure, because with the new design of free flow junctions the easy up and over will be gone!
    Yeah, it was a nightmare. Got off and drove around to Blanch via Kilshane cross, and back on to the M50 at Blanch

Seems a bit mad. Which traffic flow is gonna get the yield / stop sign?

I imagine that it would be a yield at the top of the slip off the M50 southbound. That slip is going to be quite long.

And another (yah .. another!) thing. What's this road I've circled with green? Is the pink the road that leads to it or what?

81191700.jpg

Looks like this to me,, see the blue line connecting from blanch village

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,503 ✭✭✭daymobrew

It'll be interesting to cycle the new N3 - it's scary as is, with no shoulders on the roundabout and its approaches.

The pedestrian bridge near Castleknock Tennis Club is unnecessarily long winded, though I think that they might have shortened a bit by removing an unnecessary double-back.

Advertisement