Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N3-M50 interchange

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Maldini2706

Apparently it's still going ahead yeah. It didn't look close to completion on Friday, but they can do wonders when they're actually motivated.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭brownbinman

the sign on the slip road says its closing on the 20th now, so put back a week.

Haha, why do they bother announcing it at all? I'd say at least 3/4s of all the major changes have been postponed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Looking at it tonight just now driving past and the road alongside the N3 looks done and it blocked off with some cones .. not sure what it's like further down though ..

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Random wrote: »
    Looking at it tonight just now driving past and the road alongside the N3 looks done and it blocked off with some cones .. not sure what it's like further down though ..

Ye most of it is done, down at the merge tot he main line the final layer was only laid today. It would have been finished for today i reckon but the weather slowed them i bet.

The trees went at the auburn roundabout today in prep for removing the roundabout.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Any word on when the roundabouts are being removed? The whole place looks different without the trees... was driving outbound toward toward Navan .. the skyline looks very different!

It does look weird alright, the same can be said for citybound from clonee, the blanch village roundabout is clear, and can see right upto the m50 roundabout

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Random wrote: »
    Any word on when the roundabouts are being removed? The whole place looks different without the trees... was driving outbound toward toward Navan .. the skyline looks very different!

Indeed, on Sunday I though I was looking at the traffic on the new diversion route. Then yesterday the view inbound at the Auburn roundabout has changed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭Skyhater

New N3 > M50 North slip road was scheduled to open today.....
    (From www.m50.ie)

Junction 6, N3 Blanchardstown
    15/07/2009 :
    From Monday 20th July until December 2009 the existing entry slip road onto the northbound M50 will be closed. Traffic wishing to enter the northbound M50 will be diverted via Scott’s Roundabout and a newly constructed slip road.
    ....anybody use it yet???

Are there any signs of positive or negative impact on traffic as a result??
    (My bet is on a positive impact after people get used to it)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

If this new slip has opened today, God help the evening commute tonight.

I'd say that people would be best of leaving the office after 7 to avoid the choas that is sure to be created over the first few days while people get used to the new layout, hopefully things will settle down after that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭rameire

the attached is all i can find so far, no exact image of the slip, but it does look like there are vehicles in the distance ( to the right ) using the new slip.

pic taken from dublin city website

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭whosedaddy?

when I passed on the M50 this morning there was deffo no traffic on the new slip - only ongoing road works...

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭brownbinman

sign now says 24th July to close the slip road

it'll never happen at this rate

• Registered Users Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭rameire

rameire wrote: »
    the attached is all i can find so far, no exact image of the slip, but it does look like there are vehicles in the distance ( to the right ) using the new slip.

pic taken from dublin city website

i stand corrected,
    probaby work vehicles i can see in the background,
    or my eyesight is going.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭whosedaddy?

it'll never happen at this rate

LOL - how true..

M50.ie traffic layout page got updated too.

Yeah, just check M50.ie and it has the following update as of this morning,

Junction 6, N3 Blanchardstown
    20/07/2009 :

From Friday 24th July until December 2009 the existing entry slip road onto the northbound M50 will be closed. Traffic wishing to enter the northbound M50 will be diverted via Scott’s Roundabout and a newly constructed slip road.

The sign has said 24th since last Wednesday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

That gym looks ridiculous there.

It's like a separate country. Only in Ireland only in Ireland.....

It would of been far more logical to buy it out and just build a straighforward interchange here.

But no, lets just make a complete ****. YAY. I have to watch this now.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,535 ✭✭✭✭L1011

mysterious wrote: »
    That gym looks ridiculous there.

It's like a separate country. Only in Ireland only in Ireland.....

It would of been far more logical to buy it out and just build a straighforward interchange here.

But no, lets just make a complete ****. YAY. I have to watch this now.

Except the road would still have had to swing north to avoid the canal and railway line while still preserving all existing accesses via the roundabout and the buyout price for a profitable gym at CPO would have been prohibitive. I would suggest that the NRA - who are qualified in this, unlike you - analysed this and are doing the cheaper option. Its going to work just as well as anything that wiped out the gym would have.

MYOB wrote: »
    Except the road would still have had to swing north to avoid the canal and railway line while still preserving all existing accesses via the roundabout and the buyout price for a profitable gym at CPO would have been prohibitive. I would suggest that the NRA - who are qualified in this, unlike you - analysed this and are doing the cheaper option. Its going to work just as well as anything that wiped out the gym would have.

If there is a will there is a way.

Qualified or not. I've proved it enough I'm good at what I do.

Maybe you can't see it. I can though.:)

• Advertisement

If there is a will there is a way.

Qualified or not. I've proved it enough I'm good at what I do.

Maybe you can't see it. I can though.:)

You draw lines on maps which pay no heed to terrain, obstructions, space, CPO values, etc, etc. You're quite good at that, but unfortunately those and reality are worlds apart.

You draw lines on maps which pay no heed to terrain, obstructions, space, CPO values, etc, etc. You're quite good at that, but unfortunately those and reality are worlds apart.

I do.

I didn't design the N3 interchange yet. But I could design it better.

I do.

I didn't design the N3 interchange yet. But I could design it better.

Sounds like a challenge to me :)

Show us how a design without the Gym would improve the key traffic movements on the interchange!!!

Taking in to account the train line, the canal, the pedestrian bridge, and the varying elevations of all of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Taking in to account .... the pedestrian bridge
    And don't dare make a ridiculously long bridge like was first proposed. :p
    The current one is used by parents/children going to the nearby Educate Together primary school and commuters walking to/from Castleknock train station, and me.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭ciaran75

drove by this morning and it looks pretty much ready to go for tomorrow, all of the tarmac, lines etc. have been done.

they are also doing lots of work between m50 roundabout and auburn roundabout (going into town), looks like traffic will be diverted there in the next few weeks while they bridge on the current section of road.

ciaran75 wrote: »
    drove by this morning and it looks pretty much ready to go for tomorrow, all of the tarmac, lines etc. have been done.
    It was even mentioned on AA roadwatch this morning and on their website:
    Motorists should bear in mind for their commute tomorrow morning (24th), that from 6am the slip road from the N3/Navan Rd onto the M50 northbound at J6 Blanchardstown will be closed until December. An alternative slip road will be in operation from the N3 at the Blanchardstown R/A onto the M50.

Skyhater wrote: »
    It was even mentioned on AA roadwatch this morning and on their website:

Yeah, it was also metioned on Live Drive a few times this morning so it's a go for sure.

I don't think it will have any effect on the morning rush hour but I'd say the evening will be a nightmare on the N3 as l can see all the traffic getting clogged up at the Blanchardstown R/A. I hope it has no affect on the M50 or the whole northside will grind to a halt!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

celticbest wrote: »
    Y
    I don't think it will have any effect on the morning rush hour but I'd say the evening will be a nightmare on the N3 as l can see all the traffic getting clogged up at the Blanchardstown R/A. I hope it has no affect on the M50 or the whole northside will grind to a halt!

I've been thinking a little about this - it's certainly true that any traffic coming outbound on the N3 and wanting to join M50 N will have to follow a more clumsy route. But how many drivers actually do this? Any originating in the city centre would be better served taking the N2, which is dual-carriageway from Glasnevin Cemetery. Might this be a smaller problem than it seems?

• Advertisement

mackerski wrote: »
    I've been thinking a little about this - it's certainly true that any traffic coming outbound on the N3 and wanting to join M50 N will have to follow a more clumsy route. But how many drivers actually do this? Any originating in the city centre would be better served taking the N2, which is dual-carriageway from Glasnevin Cemetery. Might this be a smaller problem than it seems?

The n2 can be fairly heavy, finglas village, lidl roundabout and the likes

Advertisement