Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MIXMAG / DJ MAG

• 10-10-2008 11:17am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭

I use both a lot to find out about tunes, kit etc. Do you find them good? Starting to think Mixmag is selling out a bit recently-Sam Sparro on the cover a few months back really pissed me off-no doubt his record label paid for that kind of exposure.....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,447 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

I asked a similar question ages ago. I am out of the loop in terms of tunes and clubbing etc so every now and then a bug mixmag to get an idea for what's doing the rounds lately. Sometimes the free cd has good stuff on it, I liked the one a few months ago with Dennis Ferrer in the mix.

I like the section about the big tracks lately and adverts on various events and who's appearing etc.

I reckon of course they are selling out, their main goal is to maximise their profits at the end of the day, they are a business. Any mag that claims otherwise just has a better 'facade' between the material and the business side!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭FLYNN-DOG

Thats true, I buy it every month and recentky started to look at some of the covers and CDs-Herve (****e), laidback luke (****e) - way too much electro. Youre on the money with the Dennis Ferrer one alright-some serious good deep house / tech-house on that CD. There hasnt been a good techno mix since the Dubfire one

But them the odd time, if the CD is anyway half decent (hence only the odd time). Very commercial, if someone sneezes in Ibiza its in it, whereas they'll just ignore something like the Life Festival.

Yeah but they'll give major props to Glasto and Bestival which aren't even dance festivals. Dizzee rascal in Mixmag? No thanks. That said, if you're involved in promotion etc you can get your listings in there by emailing them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 749 ✭✭✭SteveDon

Both mags are fairly ****e for finding music, mixmag is especially pants.

• Advertisement

What would you reccommend SteveDon? Bar Beatport and RA?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 749 ✭✭✭SteveDon

myspace is always good for finding new music, its a bit of a labourious process but you can find some gems out there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 337 ✭✭disssco

Beatport is good for checking out new releases.

Youtube is good for listening to older tracks. I've found some great songs by just clicking on related videos and giving them a listen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭acman

I like MixMag...you do have to filter through the commercial crap to find the gems though.

I was sifting through the shelves in Easons lately and I came accross "Slick DJ Mag"...an Irish dance music mag. What are your thoughts on it?

acman wrote: »
    I was sifting through the shelves in Easons lately and I came accross "Slick DJ Mag"...an Irish dance music mag. What are your thoughts on it?

I have got it before and like it.

Not a huge amount packed into it, but far more relevant to someone like me than reading page after page about who is playing in DC10 this summer or what Dave Guetta thinks of the new sound system in Space.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,931 ✭✭✭✭L1011

DJMag is a dreadful, trance-hating (despite/in spite of their readers votes in polls), bad house-loving rag these days. Given up buying it. Mixmag I've bought once in about three years now...

I miss Muzik magazine :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭acman

What happened to...dare i say it, ministry mag?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

Never bought either. Used to buy Idj which I liked but with the internet I really dont see the need for magazines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭franklyshocked

Like the comments above I'll generally buy if there's a decent CD or technology review but I think Mixmag has deffo become the weakest of the lot.
    IDJ is a really good mag,
    most of the time :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

Both mags are overpriced rubbish full of ads for so called super clubs,plus they'll jump on whatever bandwagon is flavour of the month and conviently ignore underground music like Hardcore Breaks, i wouldn't mind up to about 7/8 years ago both mags were decent but ive no interest anymore in them, i too miss Muzik magazine that was a good mag as was Dream and Eternity before it, M8 might be a bit cheesy but for under €2 compared to nearly €7 for Mixmag it's about the only dance mag ill consider buying thesedays.

PS-That new Irish dance mag looks ok, but charging €3.90 when it's £2.70 sterling when you consider the current exchange rate is not on.

acman wrote: »
    I like MixMag...you do have to filter through the commercial crap to find the gems though.

I've contributed to it before, great mag alright, hope it rises through the economic conditions

FLYNN-DOG wrote: »
    I've contributed to it before, great mag alright, hope it rises through the economic conditions

they should stop taking the piss charging €3.90 when up the North it's £2.70 which comes to €3.29 a difference of 61 cents just to buy it in the 26 counties.

jonny68 wrote: »
    they should stop taking the piss charging €3.90 when up the North it's £2.70 which comes to €3.29 a difference of 61 cents just to buy it in the 26 counties.

A few months ago, £2.70 was over 4 euros...

They also have no VAT on magazines - we have 21%.

MYOB wrote: »
    A few months ago, £2.70 was over 4 euros...

They also have no VAT on magazines - we have 21%.

that was then..this is now, so people from the 26 counties are expected to fork out an extra 61 cents...:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

that was then..this is now, so people from the 26 counties are expected to fork out an extra 61 cents...:confused:
    its the vat no?

• Advertisement

seannash wrote: »
    its the vat no?

Regardless it's not that much difference, the only magazine worth buying although a bit cheesy at times is M8,fr the price of €1.80 or so you can't complain, if M8 can sell a magazine at that price there's no reason why others can't too!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

Regardless it's not that much difference, the only magazine worth buying although a bit cheesy at times is M8,fr the price of €1.80 or so you can't complain, if M8 can sell a magazine at that price there's no reason why others can't too!!
    sounds a bit like the greedy promoters thread.magazines are there to make money,thats it really.
    better idea is to register on m8s website,then you can read the magazine online for free.i wish i had dont that before i got my subscription

Hypocritical i know .:o but if anyone does have a copy of this months Mixmag any chance of uploading the Slam CD,looks decent

• Registered Users Posts: 33 ibeatza

I dont agree that mixmag is selling out,
    I have been buying this mag for years and yes admitedly I didnt like the changes they made a few years ago as the mag was more underground but times change.

I think the cds are great and as for people giving out that there is too much electro? wtf?

i mean they have electo, house , techno, drum and bass they change them all the time
    plus herve and laidback completely different djs and completly differnt tunes.
    just coz you dont like the cd of one month or the cover doesnt men they r selling out

yes the mag could do with a few chamges but in my opinion there is no other dance mag like it
    dj mag doesnt even come close.

Latest issue was a while ago (6 weeks maybe?) and theres still 21% VAT to make up that difference.

Advertisement