Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gutted - Lost life savings

Options
  • 10-10-2008 11:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I had £35k deposited in the Kaupthing Isle of Man branch. I tried transfering it out in the last week but it seems to be frozen somewhere, (1 of the transfers left the account and is unaccounted for, the others were waiting to be transfered)

The deposit protection scheme is rubbish, there is no money in it so it could take years to repay.

The possibility of another bank taking up the depositors book also looks bleak, as apparently no assets left on the IoM. Most were transfered back to Iceland/Uk on interbank loans.

I believe the bank is going to get away with this. Many depositors are in a far worse position than me. The current state of the markets will not help either, this is just a complete mess.

I have lost all this money which has taken me years to save.

I can't eat or sleep, and i can barely cope with this anxious feeling in my stomach.

I'm absolutely gutted

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

Sorry to hear of your troubles. Can I ask how you came to choose Kaupthing IOM to hold your deposits?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭scary_tractors

That is horrendous. I am so sorry.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 451 ✭✭thetyreman

Not much consolation but it is only money,look at it(try)like if someone that you love needed that 35k to stay alive and you gave it to them,
    At the end of the day nobody died.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,650 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

The deposit protection scheme is rubbish, there is no money in it so it could take years to repay.

Maybe not...

Tynwald Approves Raising of £50,000 Savings Guarantee

"Isle of Man Pledges Action on Kaupthing Collapse

• Registered Users Posts: 8,019 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Sorry to drag up an old thread but I was wondering could somebody explain to me in laymans terms what happens to the money that OP deposited when banks declare bankruptcy like this? I knew a few people who were affected by the KS&F bankruptcy but didnt want to bother them with trivial questions like this at the time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement