Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oktoberfest

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Food & Drink: the only beer is Paulaner, by the looks of things, whereas the food selection looks great :D

Heineken have really taken to putting on these off-the-peg Paulaner Mocktoberfests all over the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

BeerNut wrote: »
    Food & Drink: the only beer is Paulaner,
    I would be shocked if that was the case, most of my mates would not drink that (I love it). And esp. if heineken have a say I would expect them to have heineken too.

rubadub wrote: »
    if heineken have a say I would expect them to have heineken too.
    And Murphy's, and Affligem, and Sol, and Amstel, and Żywiec, and Moretti -- the rest of the portfolio of mostly-rubbish they're pushing hard in Ireland at the moment? I doubt it. It would really take away the fake German feel.

It would really take away the fake German feel.
    Yes, but I expect many would clear out when they discover there was only 1 beer, if there was only one. At music festivals they get away with the standard heineken. My mate were emailing about this oktoberfest, I can tell you they would just head off if Paulaner was the only beer, many look at me in disgust if I am drinking any bottle/cask conditioned beers.

Look at the site too
    http://www.oktoberfest-dublin.com/exhibitors.htm
    - Veranstaltungsservice Breuel- Beerbar and German Schwenkgrill specialties
    - Major Toms - Beer Bar

First one sounds like there could be a nice selection of German beers, and then I expect Major Tom would appeal to the mass produced people.

It's just Paulaner. Five different sorts of Paulaner (hefe, hefe-dunkel, oktoberfest, hell [allegedly: I didn't see any] and alkoholfrei), but still pretty far from what you'd call "a nice selection of German beer".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Shameless cashin to be honest and so is the real one at this stage.

KTRIC wrote: »
    Shameless cashin to be honest and so is the real one at this stage.
    Oh yeah. Still, if Heineken Ireland can get people thinking about a different beer to the usual then there's some benefit to this kind of gig, IMO.

Also, the sausages are good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

The real Oktoberfest is no great shakes as a beer festival as a drinking festival it can be a good laugh

Oh yeah. Still, if Heineken Ireland can get people thinking about a different beer to the usual then there's some benefit to this kind of gig, IMO.

Also, the sausages are good.

So I take it you went? did you have to pay in? how much were the beers & food?

I went to the Munich one, didnt like the fact I could only get litres (that I could see). Could you get pints or dare I say half pints in dublin? I would like to try all I can.

rubadub wrote: »
    So I take it you went? did you have to pay in? how much were the beers & food?

I went to the Munich one, didnt like the fact I could only get litres (that I could see). Could you get pints or dare I say half pints in dublin? I would like to try all I can.
    It's free in. The hefe and oktoberfest are draught, and there's bottled hefe, dunkel and alkoholfrei -- all priced €5.50 for half a litre (except the alkoholfrei which is €4.50 I think). The draught litres are €10. The alleged hell is in a 33cl bottle for €4.50

Food items are in the region of a fiver each and are the real highlight of the thing: sausages, freshly baked ham, potato pancakes and so on. There's also a stand selling preserves and sauces giving out free samples. The bruschetta arrabiatta paste (how German!) is gorgeous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,995 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I've said it before and I'll say it again......

Paulanner is headache inducing evil swill.

Erdinger, all is forgiven!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

If there is only one beer than it will be fairly authentic German. My experience at fairs and fest is that one beer get the contract for the Festival and that beer to promoted to death at the festival. There is great variety and selection of beers in Germany. Every reasonably sized town will have it own beer, but in each individual bar the selection of tapped beers is normally limited to 1 or 2.

The supermarkets have a dizzying array of high quality beers however. I'm sure there are Beer festival in Germany with a large selection of beers on tap. However as one poster pointed out already the Oktoberfest and its equivalents are drinking festivals and not beer festivals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

I went on friday and it was a disgrace. Arrived at 4:30, went into the tent and me and my friends got seats. We were enjouing the beer, one of my friends went out to get a round of food in! But at about 6:10 they stopped serving beer and everyone had to leave TO MAKE WAY FOR THE CORPORATE GUESTS! Everyone was shaking their head in disgust! It was advertised as free on the radio, but then you're kicked out (into the lashing rain!) to make room for the people that bought tickets!

Quint wrote: »
    at about 6:10 they stopped serving beer and everyone had to leave TO MAKE WAY FOR THE CORPORATE GUESTS!
    Exactly like the big do in Munich then :D

Good old Heino, always looking after the punters.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Sounds fairly crap Quint

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

I was there last night for the first time. Just walked into the tent at about 8pm and no bother at all. Seems to be they let anyone in if they don't have the numbers.

Still had good fun, recommend it and hopefully it will be an annual event!

And my tuppenny worth is here.
    gurramok wrote:
    hopefully it will be an annual event!
    Since they clearly have a licence for this kind of thing at George's Dock, it'd be nice to have a proper, regular, farmers' market with craft beers and ciders. This was the first time I actually enjoyed browsing the stalls at an event held there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

But do they clearly have a licence, or did Heineken just get one transferred there for the week?

What I mean is I would love for it to be so, but I'm not sure it's as simple as George's dock now having a licence. Maybe I'm wrong though.

Sorry, that was lazy of me. I'm sure whoever's running an event at George's Dock is responsible for getting the licence. I mean more the fact that the Corpo seems happy enough to allow people to wander about and buy drink from stalls. I think there's a much better use this could be put to than a product promotion by one giant brewer.

I guess the question is: who's going to organise it and pay for the licence? From the looks of the Farmleigh gig, it seems the State is the only one with an interest in this sort of thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

The corporate tickets cost €52 per person and you only get a 500ml glass, not even the big 1 litre glass! What a rip off! The event would have been great if it wasn't for these corporate tickets

• Advertisement
Advertisement