Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to eat linseed(flax) and psyllium

• 10-10-2008 11:48am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭

I suffer quite badly with...lets just say unpredictable intestinal issues :o and have been hearing a great deal about the benefits of linseed and psyllium for keeping you regular!

I bought a bag of both yesterday to give them a go. The brown linseed comes in the form of very tiny little seeds, similar with the pysillium. I put a teaspoon of each in a youghurt this morning with some fruit and it was quite nice. I actually still feel full-ish which is great. But, i started reading that the body cant actually digest or open the little linseed seeds and grinding them is better. Is this true? I dont want to waste the benefits of them by eating them whole and gaining no nutritional value out of them.

So, does anyone know is eating them whole ok and have you noticed any benefits from eating them long term!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭SMK

My understanding is the body is not supposed to digest them. I take linseed for the cholesterol lowering benefits and from what I gather, the linseed attaches itself to the fat and moves it through the body quicker - I'm sure there is a more scientific way of explaining it!!! I put linseed in my porridge or yogurt but you are supposed to have a good drink of water after you take linseed. I usually drink a pint of water with my porridge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Theres different forms of it though isnt there- seeds,oil,powder etc. So am just wondering is the whole seeds the same as the other variations?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭lindak

I also have the same problem what I do is i amke them my breakfast cereal and they are yummy and really healthy. I mix in a tub linseed, seasame seeds, flaxseeds, oatbran and wheat germ. Each morning I put strawberries and mixed berries with yogurt and 4 tablespoons of the mixed seeds together it is so nice and works great ! I have this every single morning for the last 2 years and they have helped with my bowel issues brilliantly !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭anniehoo

So you dont crush your seeds just put them in whole yeh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭lindak

Nope dont crush them ! I have also tried Psylium husk for a while when i was really bad and it helped .. Just shove it all in together is so good for you and actually tastes really nice that even if you symptoms clear up continue to take them ., I bring them on hols with me in zip lock bags.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭SMK

I believe the linseed we buy in shops here are already cracked so we can eat them as we buy them without having to crush them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭mags16

I toast linseeds, pumpkin and and sunflower seeds in a dry pan for a few minutes. I makes them delicious. Kinda tastes like crisps, weirdly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭pseudonym1

Pop em in blender/smoothie maker and add whatever fruit you like bit of yoghert and enjoy and digest- nyom!
    Also mukua honey and any oils your taken have been doing this for about 3 weeks alls working like clockwork.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Brown_Eyed_Girl

Try making this ............ its not too bad

Flax muffin
    1/4 cup flax meal
    tablespoon linseed
    1/2 teaspoon baking powder
    1 packet splenda
    1 teaspoon cinnamon
    1 large egg
    1 teaspoon of butter
    1. Put dry ingredients in a coffee mug (or bowl for different shape)
    2. Stir
    3. Add egg and butter. Mix.
    Microwave 1 minute on high. Take out, slice,

Advertisement