Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netgear WGT624 dropping to 1mbps.

Options
  • 10-10-2008 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭

Installed Wednesday so not sure if it's installed correctly. It was reaching 54mbps last two days except last night and today where it drops to 1mbps. Then back up slowly and down again. It says signal strength is excellent all through this. In instruction manual it never mentioned anything about the ethernet cable in the box, just went on about usb cable and adaptor. I didn't use usb cable. Maybe I was supposed to use both to set it up? When I try open Netgear Smart Wizard it close as quickly as it opens. Not sure what to do.:(

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Installed Wednesday so not sure if it's installed correctly. It was reaching 54mbps last two days except last night and today where it drops to 1mbps. Then back up slowly and down again. It says signal strength is excellent all through this. In instruction manual it never mentioned anything about the ethernet cable in the box, just went on about usb cable and adaptor. I didn't use usb cable. Maybe I was supposed to use both to set it up? When I try open Netgear Smart Wizard it close as quickly as it opens. Not sure what to do.:(

Who is your isp as a matter of interest.

The 54 figure is the nominal wireless speed between the wireless router and the wireless card in your pc or laptop - it has nothing to do with your internet speed. and again the 'signal strength' is not referring to your internet connection but to the wireless connection.

The netgear doesnt use a usb cable and it is normal to set it up using an ethernet cable between it and the computer.

You haven't mentioned anything about your internet connection - is that working?

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Appleblossom42

Yes the internet is working. Thanks for that information about connections, it's good to know. Im with UPC, 10mb.

338069641.png

Was just a bit worried too about the fact that I can't open the programme to make a password. As I said previously it closes as soon as it opens. I had heard once you have wireless set up it's much easier to hack into your system. I have Norton 360 installed, using that programme's firewall, so hopefully I'm covered. Going on what I've said do you think the router's set up properly?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

The router probably isnt set up properly and Norton is no protection at all against someone hacking into it.

Again the inevitable question did you read the manaul?

Usually you access a Netgear router by http://192.168.0.1 then you should get a 'welcome' screen asking for user name and password which by default are admin and password or admin and admin.

You should then be able to access the various settings.

Set up WPA security and a password save your settings and then when your computer tries to access the network next time you should be asked for the password.

Please please read the manual!!!!!!!!!!!!

Advertisement