Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VRT

Options
  • 10-10-2008 12:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

Guys, I'm heading across to England to pick up a BMW tomorrow. I was across last weekend and agreed to purchase the car, but they wouldn't give it to me until they fixed a broken reverse light switch. They said the car was unsafe without it! Everything is fixed now, so I should be able to pick it up tomorrow without any problems.

The car has a few extras, parking sensors and a built in Radio/Sat Nav/TV combo unit. It does not have leather seats!

Anyway, I've read lots of horror stories about people getting charged way higher VRT due to extras and I know that the VRO guys like to inspect BMWs for extras. Is the anyway to minimize my VRT quote like call into the office at 4:30pm on a Friday?
    Also what's the best way to argue with them if they place a value that is over the top? Bring along a print out of the same car for sale here in Ireland or would I just be wasting my time?

Also, do you think the budget will change how VRT is charged as a lot of people are now importing cars from England driving (pardon the pun) the price of Irish cars down. So should I get the car sorted out before the budget next Tuesday!

Cheers for your advise.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I think the VRO will send your VIN to BMW in the UK and get the list of extras from them so you can't hide anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭davemie

steve06 wrote: »
    I think the VRO will send your VIN to BMW in the UK and get the list of extras from them so you can't hide anything.

But isn't it possible that items get removed/replaced on second hand cars, hence chaning the price? So the car you buy isn't always the same as the car that was sold by BMW day one.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

Your asking people how to evade the VRT. :mad:

Revenue aren't fools.

I just imported an 08 320D Coupe. Revenue website said VRT was €7187, I had car inspected, the VRT came out at €8196. I have seen very similar car to mine on Carzone for €48,500, they said mine had OMSP of €51k. I will be appealing valuation.

Revenue will take the VIN and come back with list of extra's fitted to the car. You wont avoid the extra's. Ask them for a VRT 6 form when paying the VRT, you can gurantee they will overstate the OMSP.

Couple of plus sides for me.
    1. Longer warranty
    2. Better selection of cars
    3. Bought form BMW dealer, they are VERY keen to do business. I managed to wangle 7% of asking price.
    4. The 5 year service pack is £634.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭davemie

Mylow wrote: »

Good point, I've updated my post on how to best minimize VRT.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

how often do them change/update the OMSP?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭lynchie

steve06 wrote: »

VRO have a computer in Rosslare that has full access to BMW's systems. They dont have to send it to the UK to check it, then can do it themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭robbie99

Mylow wrote: »

Revenue aren't fools.

I just imported an 08 320D Coupe. Revenue website said VRT was €7187, I had car inspected, the VRT came out at €8196. I have seen very similar car to mine on Carzone for €48,500, they said mine had OMSP of €51k. I will be appealing valuation.

Revenue will take the VIN and come back with list of extra's fitted to the car. You wont avoid the extra's. Ask them for a VRT 6 form when paying the VRT, you can gurantee they will overstate the OMSP.

Couple of plus sides for me.
    1. Longer warranty
    2. Better selection of cars
    3. Bought form BMW dealer, they are VERY keen to do business. I managed to wangle 7% of asking price.
    4. The 5 year service pack is £634.

I had a similar experience myself. At that VRT, it must have been the msport with extras like leather, 19" wheels etc.. right? And what mileage and month was the car? I thought to get the service pack the car needed to be new, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

robbie99 wrote: »
    I had a similar experience myself. At that VRT, it must have been the msport with extras like leather, 19" wheels etc.. right? And what mileage and month was the car? I thought to get the service pack the car needed to be new, no?

That's the one :-)
    Mileage was 7k
    March 08

As the car was demo model I could get service pack.

Robbie, I have sent you pm with details not to get to off topic here.

Advertisement