Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Error wen connecting to internet through network

Options
  • 10-10-2008 12:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭

I cant connect to the internet on my laptop through my network.

OK first ill tell you the set up.

ISP (Eircom)

My destop(running Xp) > Router( wireless netopia) > ethenet cable.

My laptop(running vista) > Router (through wireless)

Ive setup a network for both computers, i can connect to the network from my laptop wirelessly but anytime i try to go onto the internet it wont connect, i ran the diagnostic on it and it said cannot connect with primary DNS server and gives the IP address of my desktop.. i cnt udnerstand how i can connect to the computer through the network but not the internet?

any ideas as to what is wrong here? ive rang eircom and spoke to a guy who basically told me to delete the networks ive set-up and start again which also didnt work... he then told me to ring microsoft and gave me their number as he said its a problem with them. Ive no idea why it wont connecto the net ill try microsoft after work, but any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

Ive setup a network for both computers

Ok, what do you mean by this?
    If you detail the steps I can help.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Cat5

Are you obtaining an ip address automatically from the router?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

iRock wrote: »
    Ok, what do you mean by this?
    If you detail the steps I can help.

well ive set up a network so that i can access files on my desktop from my laptop... but it wont connect to the internet...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Cat5 wrote: »
    Are you obtaining an ip address automatically from the router?

yea i think so... ive set up my laptop to connect to the internet through the router like ive applied the security settings and enabled wireless in the broadband help page.

Advertisement