Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Do penalty points transfer from a provisional licence to a full licence?

Options
  • 10-10-2008 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭

Hi

Having an arguement with my brother-in-law. While he was on his provisional licence he was caught talking on his mobile phone while driving. He got 2pts and a fixed fine (which he has paid). A few days ago he sat his test and past.

He says the points will not transfer to his full licence. I say they will. I told as far as I know that points from foreign licences i.e. outside the state, do not transfer (though there may be plans to change that perhaps...hopefully).

Anyway, do penalty points on a provisional licence transfer to a full licence ? I would assume so....but I am open to correction.

Thanks - laoisfan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I'm 99% sure that they are, although i can't find any documentation about it at the mo. I can't see why they wouldn't to be honest. I know that if say, you're caught speeding on a UK license in Ireland, and receive penalty points, although these points can't yet be transferred to the UK license, if you then apply for a full Irish license these points will then be activated on that new Irish license. So i can't see why penalty points on a learner permit/provisional license wouldn't transfer.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

It would make sense for them to transfer, pointless if they don't

• Registered Users Posts: 8 seanorpen

They do appear on full licence. 100 % sure of this. Unless of course he got the provisional under a different PPSN. (RSI Number)

You win

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Cabaal wrote: »
    pointless if they don't
    LOL :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Anyone know if they are transferrable between categorys. If I have points on a full license category I have held for a few years, then I achieve a full license in another category. I am thinking in terms of the 6 points in your first two years rule. So say I have a full bike license with 3 points. If I get a full car license am I then only allowed 3 points iun my first 2 years or the normal 6.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,431 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Think of it as the points applying to the person, not the licence.

Maybe I'm wrong, but any points gained while learning only get the 3 year clock ticking when you get a (full) licence.

Greenmachine, you are only one person (I hope!) and have only one licence, the points apply.

Anyone know if they are transferrable between categorys. If I have points on a full license category I have held for a few years, then I achieve a full license in another category. I am thinking in terms of the 6 points in your first two years rule. So say I have a full bike license with 3 points. If I get a full car license am I then only allowed 3 points iun my first 2 years or the normal 6.
    The points are applied to the licence, not to the category.

The points are applied to the licence, not to the category.

Is there also a first two year rule wherby you can only accrue 6 points instead of the 12 allowe2d for someone holding a full license longer than 2 years. If this is the case then I am 9 points awy from losing my license as opposed to 3.

Is there also a first two year rule wherby you can only accrue 6 points instead of the 12 allowe2d for someone holding a full license longer than 2 years. If this is the case then I am 9 points awy from losing my license as opposed to 3.
    I'm not familiar with this 'two year rule' thing!

I'll have to look it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,968 ✭✭✭✭L1011

No. Thats the UK not here.

• Advertisement

MYOB wrote: »
    No. Thats the UK not here.
    That's what I thought!

For a minute or two I was wondering if a new regulation had slipped past without me noticing!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

The points apply to the person and whatever license they hold. Otherwise it'd be daft, bloody daft I tells ya!

Think of it this way. If I was 'done' for drinking and driving on a motorcycle, I would lose my licence to drive in all categories, not just the category I was driving when the offence occurred.

Think of it this way. If I was 'done' for drinking and driving on a motorcycle, I would lose my licence to drive in all categories, not just the category I was driving when the offence occurred.

Exactly! Wishbone Ash is grounded!

nipplenuts wrote: »
    Exactly! Wishbone Ash is grounded!
    :eek:

:eek:

Ooops, sorry, if!!!?!

Yeah I know theabove was law in the UK. For some reason I though we had a similar rule. Thanks for clearing that up guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 mefain

Yes, penalty points do transfer from provisional license or drivers learners permit to a full license and are valid for 3 years from the notification date - you are right:)

• Registered Users Posts: 26 mefain

Hi you definately win! Penalty points when imposed are valid for 3 years from the date of notification, regardless of type of licence held ie provisional, learners permit or full. They are carried forward to any drivers license held in the offenders name until the expiry date. Also maybe worth knowing that, the points are applied to the driver not the catagory of license held so it doesn't matter if they were issued when driving a motorbike or car!

Advertisement