Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I entitled to refund/repair?

Options
  • 10-10-2008 12:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭

Hey I was just wondering if someone could help me out here and let me know where I stand.

I purchased an Epson printer from PC World back in January. Now it worked fine up until yesterday when some paper got jammed in it. I removed it as gently as possible, however afterwards the belt which is attached to the ink cartridge holder became detached.
    Now I just get a strange noise and the belt just moves without moving the cartridge holder so effectively it's useless.

Now I still have the receipt for it and was wondering if I would be entitled to a refund or replacement for it? I've heard the nightmare stories about PC World and have read online that repair of this problem generally costs too much so I'd ideally be looking for a replacement.

Would I be entitled to this as the printer broke down within a year, or would they argue that it was my fault?

Thanks for any help and just to clarify, I didn't take out the extra policy they offer.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Repair is most likely what they will offer you as it has worked alright for nearly 10 months now.

Might be worth trying to sort yourself though, most Epson inkjet printers have the cartridge drive belt stretched over two drive cogs, one at either end of the printer. If you place the belt on the cog at one end and use a strong, thin knife or scissors to (carefully!!!) stretch it onto the cog at the other end and gently move the cartridge back to the rest position. Can be quite tough as the belt is very tight but it is doable!

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

As far as your statutory rights go, youre covered for manufacturing faults, so dont stress over taking extra cover on that regard.

But I think whether they will fix this boils down to
    I removed it as gently as possible
    How gentle is gentle? Could you have damaged it? Most printers have specific jam removal instructions, if you didnt do it as stated, its easy to do damage (I know, Ive done it)

If I were you Id start whatever warranty procedure the store have, and see what they say. (Erm... I might not volunteer the information about the paper jam.....)

Advertisement