Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OS of choice for gamers

Options
  • 10-10-2008 1:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, I'm just curious as to which operating system most gamers go for. I used Vista for a while, but after some serious issues, switched back to XP (which is fine!)

Which OS do you use?

Which OS do you use? 97 votes

XP32
    0% 0 votes
    XP64
    43% 42 votes
    Vista32
    5% 5 votes
    Vista64
    28% 28 votes
    Other
    22% 22 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

x64 Vista.

Not a bother really. Few teething gpu probs but it's always a bit awkward with mobile gpus.

Prolly be a bit better in a desktop.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Vista 64 myself, but its more from a PC builders perspective as it allows my to install as much RAM as my motherboard allows without Vista complaining.

For gaming there probably is very little performance difference between a 64bit and 32bit OS. In fact, apart from Crysis I can't think of any other games that support 64bit.

I've always wondered though why MS don't come out with a profile for Vista that is just for gaming. Much like the MCE interface but optimized for gaming, with all uneeded services disabled.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭Tyrant^

The only issue I had with vista was installing it. Seems to be problems having 8gb of memory in the machine while its installing. Had to take out 3 of the 4 sticks to install it ... but now it works super !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

I use 32 bit vita with 4 gb or ram and the 3 gig enabler for games like sup com.
    but to be honest vista prevents me from installing allot of games. im going to get a XP laptop and use that for my older games.

I mean so few good games are comming out the last few years im still playing old ones

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

For games, or any other use of my computer, I will never move to vista, it's a pile of poo and it should never have been released in such a state, I'd sooner move to purely playing games on consolest, than actually use vista. I'm on xp32, and I will be for the foreseeable future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Redrocket

windows 2000, been playing solitare for years now on it with no problems

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Currently on XP 32. I'll probably be moving to Vista Ultimate 64 soon.
    But I do more than gaming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Xp32.
    Because vista is made of fail and aids. And cholera.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

For games, or any other use of my computer, I will never move to vista, it's a pile of poo and it should never have been released in such a state, I'd sooner move to purely playing games on consolest, than actually use vista. I'm on xp32, and I will be for the foreseeable future.

Vista is a annoying and clunky, but for games you have to use it. No DX10 and certain titles (more and more) for you otherwise. You dont have a choice.
    Saying that, I have Vista x64 here and its fast, supports Stereo3D (XP doesnt anymore) and relatively clean. Its also stable. The biggest boost to Vista usability and performance was getting 2x WD 640GB (3 platter) drives in RAID0, it made it that much better. Better than CPU, GPU and RAM upgrades (got 4GB). Otherwise it choked and wheezed along.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I had a few issues with Vista when I first installed it, but once I figured out what I was doing wrong, it's worked like a dream. It actually pisses me off having to use XP in work because of all the little limitations it has. I can never see myself going back to using XP for gaming.

Also I also use a Mac at home so Vista is handy because it nicks a load of useful things from the Mac OS and apps, and flicking between the two doesn't confuse me as much anymore.

That said, I think the next Windows OS is on it's way, so if you don't like Vista you can hold off for a couple of years. Granted, the new OS is Vista with added bells and whistles so you can't really win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I <3 Vista. Yes, Windows 7 is on the way but they're currently saying late 2009 is the earliest it'll see a release. I'd add another year to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

what I find hilarious is how cyclical this mistrust of MS OS's is. I remember it was a good while after XP got released before people where willing to let go of their Windows 2000 security blanket. Back then everyone was giving out about "its bloated interface", it's "resource hogging"... etc. All the gripes you are now hearing again from all those XP owner about Vista.

Give a year and all those people will have moved to Vista and be singing its praises getting ready with their "Down with this sort of thing" banners for the next release from MS.

Compared to the state XP was in this soon after its release, Vista is frankly amazing. Most of the time people who give out about Vista are those that believe the hype or are suffering from PEBKAC errors.

Most older applications that Vista doesn't support can be run in XP compatibility mode anyway.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I can't understand why so many people are putting their faith in Microsoft to make Windows 7 so much better than Vista. If they said they were waiting for a new Mac OS or some uber Linux distro fine, but its just going to be another Microsoft product!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Burga Galti

Been using vista 64 ultimate for some time now. Not a problem with it. In fact, I've found it a dream to work with. Yes, it's a little different than XP, but once you get used to the differences it's a great at what it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

never a prob with vista 64 ultimate.

Actually I lie it ran bollocks slow when I ran it for 44 days without a restart.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭Tyrant^

Cremo wrote: »
    never a prob with vista 64 ultimate.

Actually I lie it ran bollocks slow when I ran it for 44 days without a restart.

Id like to see a windows OS that doesn't :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Been sitting on Vist Ultimate 32bit for some time now. I think I'll go ahead and update it to the 64bit edition. Have 4 gigs in the machine anyway so worth a shot.

TC

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Tyrant^ wrote: »
    Id like to see a windows OS that doesn't :p
    tbh i'm pretty impressive with that figure of 44 days.

doesn't hold a candle to my unix box i had in work.

booted on the 4th of feb (when i started work) didn't turn off until the 25th of july (when i left) :P

would have still went strong but anyways that's off topic :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

custom pc did a test on this and found that in all cases but one XP was faster than vista for games (the one game that was faster was stalker).

Personally i use xp32, its been around for ages, great support, and still most drivers are designed around it, now i know times are changing but still though f for the future id still go with xp32, theirs no real motivation to switch to vista unless u like eye candy and then thats overshadowed by the frustrations will u find.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

magick wrote: »
    custom pc did a test on this and found that in all cases but one XP was faster than vista for games (the one game that was faster was stalker).

Wasn't that pre SP1.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭OK-Cancel-Apply

Well, like I said, I used Vista with my new PC at first, but it gave me serious problems. All games were freezing up with looping sound, forcing a hard reset. Sometimes, the desktop itself would freeze (while not in game). It seemed that the harder the GPU was working, the quicker the system would cease up.

After trying virtually everything under the sun, I eventually downgraded to XP, and I haven't had a single problem with my games since!

I actually liked all the improvements MS made with Vista, and as soon as I find a solution to my problem, I'll switch back.

My spec:

Intel Core 2 Quad 2.4 Q6600
    4GB Corsair XMS2 PC6400 RAM (though my system can't use all of it)
    Windows XP SP2
    XFX nVidia 8800GT 512mb
    XFX nVidia 680i LT motherboard
    650w Hiper PSU (good brand :))

did you try the SP1 foir Vista? That fixed pretty much all the problems the majority had with it (well that and a load of other patches, but they didn't get fancy names, only serial numbers). But sure if Vista works for you, why would you want to upgrade. Eventually people will have no choice, but until then, go with what works for you, I say.

Ohhhh yeah. Tried SP1...and virtually every update available! Tried different gfx drivers...everything. Nothing worked. I may try again when SP2 comes out.

Have you tried fire? The great purifier solves most problems.

humanji wrote: »
    Have you tried fire? The great purifier solves most problems.

Although last on the list, it IS ON the list :pac:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

XP 64 for me. Some problems with drivers on occasion. Mostly issues with older titles that can't be worked around with compatibility mode, but smooth sailing with any recent and new titles.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Reportedly 60-70% of Vista crashes were caused by 3rd party graphics drivers - I think Nvidia on its own accounted for 40%.

Personally, I will never use Vista, but that's because its start menu and explorer are a pile of ****.

Reportedly 60-70% of Vista crashes were caused by 3rd party graphics drivers - I think Nvidia on its own accounted for 40%.

Personally, I will never use Vista, but that's because its start menu and explorer are a pile of ****.

pile of ****, yup this i agree with, its slower to find stuff. Now i dont gererally hop on a bandwagon but in vista's case..............

its a pile of ****

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

:eek: Actually the Vista start menu & explorer are far far better than that in XP, the search to open a application is brilliant (And it annoys me in XP now having to trawl thru the menu to locate a program, which could be in 3 or 4 sub folders in some cases :rolleyes: ), I also like the way Vista indexes your files so that the integrated search in explorer finds what your looking for quickly. If anything those two items in my opinion are a major step up from the others
    pile of ****, yup this i agree with, its slower to find stuff. Now i dont gererally hop on a bandwagon but in vista's case..............

its a pile of ****
    Have you used Vista? Since SP1 its been perfect, granted I have the spec for it, but it runs as smooth if not smoother than XP for me...

Nick

• Advertisement

yoyo wrote: »
    :eek: Actually the Vista start menu & explorer are far far better than that in XP, the search to open a application is brilliant (And it annoys me in XP now having to trawl thru the menu to locate a program, which could be in 3 or 4 sub folders in some cases :rolleyes: ), I also like the way Vista indexes your files so that the integrated search in explorer finds what your looking for quickly. If anything those two items in my opinion are a major step up from the others

Have you used Vista? Since SP1 its been perfect, granted I have the spec for it, but it runs as smooth if not smoother than XP for me...

Nick

yup i have a vista laptop, but still think the menu needs to be reworked

Advertisement