Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OS of choice for gamers

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

but...but....I need an up button!

Seriously tho, I am planning on upgrading to a Vista machine at the end of the year. I've gotten used to it on my work machine and my quibbles with the GUI have been solved.

Plus I'll keep my old crappy XP machine for old games.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Plan on building a new gaming pc with vista in a month or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

ntlbell wrote: »
    you do realise over the 3 sp's that nearly the whole kernel has been re-written?

Not being partial to Windows source code no.
    if your changing huge chunks of kernel code there's no reason to be not be able to add in enhancemnets

I would assume at the point where you have completely re-written the kernel it would make sense to release it as a new product, because thats what it is.
    for me these are not even enhancments they are fixes..

See above.
    XP handled memory pretty badly early on...

XP apps handled memory pretty badly early on too. I think one thing desktop virtualisation and the problems that have arose from it is that one thing is not always to blame.
    OS's that you can download for free have been doing sandboxing for decades.

Yawn, same old argument. Lets get one thing straight, Windows is king of the roost because its easy to use, its easy to break and its easy to fix. Until these other OS's understand that it will always rule.
    A stable secure high performing network stack should be a given when your forking out a few hundred euro for what's suppose to be an enterprise networking operating system.

Agreed

If you look at the adoption from nt 3.5 to 4 4 to 2k 2k to XP

compared to XP to vista is redic

Some companies don't upgrade as there's no need some are still on windows 3.1 but these stats are in there os after os

a vast majority do.

We have about 20,000 desktops and had XP tested for the move from 2k long before XP was on the shelves companies are not upgrading because they know it takes MS about 2-3 service packs now (because of expirience) to get something right, so they may aswell hold fire.

Your basically paying MS to be a beta tester so they can learn to do things other OS's have been doing for years and do it for no cost.

Ah here come on. You know fully well that no piece of complex software like Windows can be properly beta tested. Until its released into a live enviroment there are just too many variables to take account. Vista has had its service pack, its quite good now in my opinion and I happily use it on my gaming and work machine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Thomas-G

Uninstalled vista for xp32, never looked back. I love my emulators and they don't preform so good on vista.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

kaimera wrote: »
    it was nvidia drivers that were the cause of ~40% of vista crashes initially wasn't it?

Not hw per se.

As a gaming OS, vista is fine. Is it better than XP? Maybe not in the sense that some old-ish games wont run but it runs games, and runs them perfectly.

It was 29%, that percent gets bigger all the time! Given that at the time nV had most of the market, its not surprising that graphics issues were mainly on nV systems. Then there are the people that were overclocking cards and such. That factoid just doesnt mean as much as people think.

Ive run old games on Vista with as much hassle as XP (ie some), Swat4, Homeworld 1/2, System Shock 2, Diablo 2 etc. Havent had any game just not work as others are suggesting.

• Advertisement
Advertisement