Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkee.

• 10-10-2008 1:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭

Hi, I'm thinking of moving to about 3 miles from kilkee but know little about the area other than its probably overrun in the summer by limerick people!
    Is there any quiet beaches around there or is it just the toursisty spot?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭spadder

Lovely spot. I'd love to move there myself. What will you work at? do you have a job lined up in the area?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

It used to be a little rough years ago but the place has changed alot in the past 15 years. I'd prefer somewhere near to Ennis cos it'd be a little too quiet for me and you'd still only be 40 minutes away from most of Clares nicer beaches but each to his own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭cards

I work from home mostly so need broadband which is very hard to find in rural areas.This is a rental property but it has internet ; I'm just waiting to see what kind. I do have to go to Shannon a few times a week so I need somewhere I can commute from.It seems to take from 45 to 75 minutes from internet reports.Guess,it depends on what sort of car you drive,lol..
    Anyway, lahinch would probably be closer but don't want to live in the town. Definately looking for rural living and this property is 3 miles outside kilkee; just slightly concerned that it will get a little overrun in the summer. It seems there's only one beach there rather than a coastline of beaches like castlegregory..Peace with broadband.Thats my goal !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭The Don

cards wrote: »
    Hi, I'm thinking of moving to about 3 miles from kilkee but know little about the area other than its probably overrun in the summer by limerick people!
    Is there any quiet beaches around there or is it just the toursisty spot?
    Thanks.

There are plenty of quite beaches that are within driving distance. There's a few really nice beachs near Doonaha, Carrigaholt beach which is ok, Querrin, Clarefield, Doonbeg. Is it just for swimming or for surfing because Spanish point and Lahinch have some of the best surfing conditions in the country.

During the summer Kilkee is generally busy from about May weekend until August weekend. Its been getting steadily less busy over the last few years though. But there's still a decent enough crowd around. There are alot of Limerick people but there are also alot of people from other places. During the winter Kilkee is basically a ghost town. Pubs won't be empty but they won't be packed either. There will generally only be a crowd around during the big weekends like Halloween, etc. Christmas is good as everyone comes back home and everywhere is packed.

Which side of Kilkee are you thinking of moving to? The Doonbeg side (North), Carrigaholt side (West/South) or Lisdeen side (East)?

Edit: I know a few people who commute to Shannon from Kilkee and it takes them about an hour. You'll get to know the road and short cuts really well.

Thanks for the info.Much appreciated. I can't actually swim :o , but go running most days so need somewhere peaceful to stretch the legs! Also, love horses and would love to be able to have access to riding stables etc..but there doesn't seem to be any linked to kilkee.This is the property;
    http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=595085&search=1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭finbarrk

There is a lovely quiet beach in Doonaha which is only a few miles from that house. There is a pic here.
    http://www.doonahabattery.com/wst_page3.html
    Danganelly and O'Deas riding centres would be about 15 miles away.
    http://www.ibrickane.net/equestrian.htm

cards wrote: »
    Thanks for the info.Much appreciated. I can't actually swim :o , but go running most days so need somewhere peaceful to stretch the legs! Also, love horses and would love to be able to have access to riding stables etc..but there doesn't seem to be any linked to kilkee.This is the property;
    http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=595085&search=1

That place is just back the road from me. :) There's plenty of quiet roads to go running around there. We don't really get that much traffic down that direction. From there you could head east towards Clarefield and the beach there. Its about 2 miles to it from that house and the beach is always quiet. Or you could head south through Querrin and then to Querrin shore and along the head of sand thats there. Thats also usually quiet but its not as far. There's also a few really quiet back roads that can take you to Doonaha.

I'm not sure about the riding centres. That Tarmon West one isn't there any more anyway which is a pity because it was just up the road.

When are you moving in?

Cheers for the responses guys. Unfortunately after getting in contact with the landlord the broadband that I need may not be available. Its not totally ruled out yet but does look a bit iffy..

I'm now looking at lahinch also and found this cottage .
    http://www.daft.ie/imagebrowser.daft?type=rental&id=624889&photo=1
    I contacted the restaurant across the road and he has eircom broadband but doesn't know much about it so I'm still inquiring about it but it does look more promising.Its so hard to get broadband in a nice rural area or so I've found it anyway. Thanks again for all the advice.

Ya its pretty tough to get broadband back there alright.

Advertisement