Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone modem charges

• 10-10-2008 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭

I've been using my phone a bit as a modem for my laptop (using the app in Nokia PC Suite).
    I've heard though that the charges are completely insane.
    I'm on an o2 business plan. Anyone do this on a regular basis, and know roughly how much it costs?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

if you don't have a data plan, 1c per kb. Loading the front page of boards once would cost about a euro

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭budweiserfrogie

fjon wrote: »
    I've been using my phone a bit as a modem for my laptop (using the app in Nokia PC Suite).
    I've heard though that the charges are completely insane.
    I'm on an o2 business plan. Anyone do this on a regular basis, and know roughly how much it costs?
    I too am with o2. I use a windows mobile. I have their basic data tarif.
    It costs €7.50 per month for 250mb, this covers all my email and browsing on my fone.
    Last month i had to use it for a few days as a modem on my desktop pc when my eircom modem packed in.
    Even after a few days lite use i still only used just over half my 250mb allowance in total for the month.
    Also available is 1GB(1000mb) for €15.
    And 10GB for €30.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭fjon

Cheers for the info guys!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I'm with the €7.50 (inc vat) package myself. I used to have 3 broadband which gave 10GB a month but cost €20, I didn't use it enough to justify the extra cost at all and I'd never use more than a few MB a month so I went with o2 who I'd been with for years with my phone anyway. The connection is better, there's less chance of it being effected by spamhaus if using thunderbird etc but the bad thing is if you need it in the UK, it will cost €8 a mb:eek: So I got myself a vodafone UK sim which gives 50MB for £1 a day. I may only be in the UK 4 or 5 days a year, so with this, it'll only cost me £4 a year for 4 days/50mb a day access which is extremely cheap and 50mb a day is more than enough for the essentials like email etc and enough to do a bit of browsing and stay connected for msn or whatever. Just no youtube ;)

Advertisement