Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cancel an O2 direct debit?

Options
  • 10-10-2008 2:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭

I've finally had enough of my o2 broadband modem. I can get nothing out of it.

Now i just rang o2 up and the guy wanted to charge me the full price of the remaining 10 months to cancel. Which means im not really cancelling at all, just paying up front.

I had rang a few weeks ago, and the girl then mentioned nothing about a fee. Just cancel and thats that.

So what do i do now?
    Can i just cancel the direct debit?
    What implications does that have?
    Why would 1 customer rep not mention the fee? Maybe if i ring up a few more times, i might get her again ;)

Anyone know?
    Thanks...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

A couple of weeks ago, you were probably still in your first month, trial period, and hence there would have been no charge. Now you're in the 12 month contract period though, so there is a charge. You should have read and understood the conditions before allowing it to go beyond the trial, especially since it wasn't working.

At this point, you can't simply walk away. If it's not working, you'll need to document evidence of this, and use this to show that O2 are in breech of contract by not providing what you pay for. You may even need to go to the Small Claims Court. If you simply stop now, without any proof of it's failure, then you'll pretty much be liable for all fees and the monthly subscription costs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

You can cancel your direct debit by calling O2, writing a letter to O2, asking on the O2 forum or emailing customer care.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

Just like to point out that the rules for cancelling a DD for broadband are no different than any other service. Have you tried the consumer issues forum? http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=580

There's a big thread here with lots of info: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055148787&highlight=direct+debit

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭rasper

just ring them up and tell them you've one bar or whatever appropiate and
    it takes 40mins to open a page, and this is not the contract you signed, throw in a dash of small claims court but above all be nice to call centre staff and state how vitally important it is to have internet access and you have nothing but respect for O2 ,promise it'll work

Advertisement