Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Legislation take up of rifles over .22 cal

Options
  • 10-10-2008 2:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

In the early 70's all rifles over .22 cal and all hand guns were confiscated under emergency legislation. I had to hand up my almost new .222 BSA to the Gardai. I got a receipt (which I still have along with a copy of my licence) but no compensation. Does anyone know the current position re this legislation? Reading this forum suggests that others have rifles over .22.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

You can reclaim your rifle but you will have to apply for a licence for it first which you should be able to get.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

SladeWX wrote: »
    In the early 70's all rifles over .22 cal and all hand guns were confiscated under emergency legislation. I had to hand up my almost new .222 BSA to the Gardai. I got a receipt (which I still have along with a copy of my licence) but no compensation. Does anyone know the current position re this legislation? Reading this forum suggests that others have rifles over .22.

Yup have a .223 myself. Brother has a .300 winchester magnum, has had a .270 and .243

So yeah would be cool if you could get it back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭foxhunter

I have a couple of guns that were handed in at the same time as your's.
    They belonged to my father and were stored in cahill brua street for years.
    I applied for the licences and got them delivered to the door by the gardai when the licences came through .
    So yes you can get it back without any hassle they have hundreds of guns up there still that people havn't claimed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭fat-tony

Contact the Firearms Section in Garda HQ in the Phoenix Park. If you can quote your receipt number and other details, they can retrieve your rifle and you can ask to check the condition of it before you decide whether to apply for a licence. My father had two pistols confiscated under the "temporary" Custody order of 1972 and I was able to have them released to a firearms dealer while I got a licence etc. two years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 SladeWX

Thanks guys! That's great news. Silly of me to think that they'd actually come back looking for me to give me my rifle back! Thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

This isn't really a Target Shooting specific thread, so...
    moved to general Shooting forum.

Advertisement