Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Independent dealers closing down?

Options
  • 10-10-2008 2:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭

Driving down the Naas Road yesterday onto the M50 and noticed one of the car dealers had vanished replaced by a 'Euro Wash'.

Anyone else noticed others shutting down around the country?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

I've not noticed any yet but it's only a matter of time, I'd say the banks have given alot of them until January when sales pick up to get their house in order.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,450 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

quarryman wrote: »
    Driving down the Naas Road yesterday

"Independent dealers" over there open and close all the time

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

unkel wrote: »
    "Independent dealers" over there open and close all the time

what is the correct name for them?

This one had been there for a while?

Not that I'll miss this particular one.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

what is the correct name for them?

This one had been there for a while?

Not that I'll miss this particular one.

Who was it?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

The motor trade is fooked this year.Plenty of dealers going to go down the tubes before the year is out especially the ones sitting on huge amounts of used stock that they can shift.I cant even see the banks letting some of them get to January.

The Mooney group let go something like 35 last week.Thats roughly 5 per dealership and theres rumours that a couple of the dealerships in that group are going.

• Advertisement

Who was it?

Honestly can't remember the name, even though i was in there once or twice. There was definately a cowboy feel about the operation.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,450 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

There was definately a cowboy feel about the operation.

That was my reason for using the quotes. Independent dealer sounded very posh for some of that lot around the Naas road :D

unkel wrote: »
    That was my reason for using the quotes. Independent dealer sounded very posh for some of that lot around the Naas road :D

well i was trying to be generous in my definition.

tbh, i wouldn't miss any them if they all dried up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭MonsieurD

Oyster Car Sales, Dromkeen (on N24 - main Limerick Waterford road) are gone about three weeks ago. They were there a long time dealing in second hand stock only. Normally a good stock of cars in the forecourt (30+ cars). I am assuming that their demise is due to the downturn in the economy.

Definitely very difficult times for the car dealers in Ireland.

I reckon November/early December will be a crucial time for Dealerships. If orders for new cars is way down at this time (as I suspect it will be), they will have to rethink the huge profits that they have become accustomed to making on each new (and secondhand car) sold during recent years.

I have no pity for the big Dealerships - hopefully good times for the customer are on the way!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

MonsieurD wrote: »
    huge profits that they have become accustomed to making on each new (and secondhand car) sold during recent years.

Most dealers make 1.5-2% net profit on their operations. Hardly huge profits.

I have no pity for the big Dealerships - hopefully good times for the customer are on the way!

Yeah, when the dealer goes bust and you have to travel 30 miles further to get your car serviced, that'll show 'em!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Car-dealer

As a small car dealer, ie a very small operation with low overheads, I can confirm that larger dealers were and continue to seek silly money (%profits) for some cars.

I know this as I see the same car come up in the trade and be put on sale for crazy money, sometimes as much as €10,000 profit. I work on low overheads and therefore charge the lowest profit percentage I can afford to make the business work, thus I have a better chance of selling and making a small but worthwhile return, and customers of mine get good cars at very fair prices.

Now I know larger outfits have massive overheads - staff, buildings, insurance, power, stock ect ect but...

These hard times are actually corrective times whereby customers are now getting a fairer deal!

Car-dealer wrote: »
    These hard times are actually corrective times whereby customers are now getting a fairer deal!

I think you're right, these are corrective times. I think the current economic climate is going to be good for the economy in the long run - it's going to focus businesses and force them to abandon wasteful and unproductive processes they've been getting away with up till now.

I also think that this is good for the consumer both short and long-term in that it will increase competitiveness and (hopefully) customer service.

I don't think the sentiment of "they've been ripping us off for years, I'm glad to see some of them closing down. Serves them right!" is constructive at all. I don't want to see any business go bust (and people become unemployed, and the knock on effect of those people not spending their money in other businesses who will in turn go bust).

If someone runs their business badly, they deserve to lose it. If they run it well, they deserve to be rewarded. We shouldn't wish ill on businesses, if we don't like what they do or how they do it we should merely withdraw our custom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Bearcat

pal of mine went into a north dub garage with 6.5k in his pocket. He was looking at a 03 525i selling at orig 16k, 88K on clock. Dealer nearly snapped punters hand off for the cash and he got a beautiful car.

I feel in one way sad that dealers are on their knees but they did screw us in the good times......

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

AudiChris wrote: »
    Most dealers make 1.5-2% net profit on their operations. Hardly huge profits.

About as realistic as Petrol retailers making 5c per litre and Publicans "protecting their margins........."

We have the 2nd cheapest cars factory to dealer in the EU, and yes we have high VRT and Tax, but work it out - where does the rest of it go?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Car-dealer

I wouldn't sell my mother a €13.500 car for €6.500 - excellent story but that dealer was either mad or stupid ..or perhaps on the verge of bust!

I recently did a deal with a buyer and gave them €1500 off to agree a sale on a car that should have been priced around €22995, that I had priced closer to €20000, so they got a good deal, but on the above scenario they would have walked in with €10000 for a €20000 car! - times are a bad, but not that bad lol

whiterebel wrote: »
    We have the 2nd cheapest cars factory to dealer in the EU, and yes we have high VRT and Tax, but work it out - where does the rest of it go?

So,we're in an economy where taxes are so high that the factory will sell us the cars for less then they sell them to other markets, and that's your proof that margins are high here?

That logic's not working for me, sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Bearcat wrote: »
    pal of mine went into a north dub garage with 6.5k in his pocket. He was looking at a 03 525i selling at orig 16k, 88K on clock. Dealer nearly snapped punters hand off for the cash and he got a beautiful car.

I feel in one way sad that dealers are on their knees but they did screw us in the good times......

pics or it didn't happen

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

So,we're in an economy where taxes are so high that the factory will sell us the cars for less then they sell them to other markets, and that's your proof that margins are high here?

Have to agree with Chris there. Also, nobody got screwed. People didn't dirve as hard a bargain as they should have, but if I was a dealer in 1998-2002, I would have been building up a massive cash reserve for now as it was never going to last forever. These are the smart business people, and these are the ones that will survive.

One of my uncle's sold only 1 new car in the whole dealership in July....1. And the customer for that tried to screw them playing off against another dealer the day before she collected, but the other dealer refused to deal with her as someone else had already registered a car for her. The other uncle is selling alright as the Kuga is in high demand, though there aren't enough of them, and neither are selling used cars...almost all new, if any.

Neither has seen anthing as slack since the early 80s.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Seeing as you're defending the dealers, I wouldn't expect it to.

ninty9er wrote: »
    Have to agree with Chris there. Also, nobody got screwed. People didn't dirve as hard a bargain as they should have, but if I was a dealer in 1998-2002, I would have been building up a massive cash reserve for now as it was never going to last forever. These are the smart business people, and these are the ones that will survive.

One of my uncle's sold only 1 new car in the whole dealership in July....1. And the customer for that tried to screw them playing off against another dealer the day before she collected, but the other dealer refused to deal with her as someone else had already registered a car for her. The other uncle is selling alright as the Kuga is in high demand, though there aren't enough of them, and neither are selling used cars...almost all new, if any.

Try to deal with car companies that have been caught encouraging anti-competitive practice? I tried it 3 years ago and got nowhere. How obvious it was that they were under instruction not to drop the actual price, but to get around it offering a tow-bar, alarm etc. Compare it to the situation in the UK and that's how bargaining is done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Oyster Car Sales, Dromkeen (on N24 - main Limerick Waterford road) are gone about three weeks ago. They were there a long time dealing in second hand stock only. Normally a good stock of cars in the forecourt (30+ cars). I am assuming that their demise is due to the downturn in the economy.

The reasons he is gone are because his cars were pretty crap quality, all had high mileage and were over priced. I been there a few times looking at cars and was dissappointed each time.

There also was a garage half way out the Limerick-Newport road that has closed as well, although it was due too a fight between the two co-owners. The name of the place escapes me...

The reasons he is gone are because his cars were pretty crap quality, all had high mileage and were over priced. I been there a few times looking at cars and was dissappointed each time.

There also was a garage half way out the Limerick-Newport road that has closed as well, although it was due too a fight between the two co-owners. The name of the place escapes me...

It's a pity that Orange Motors guy wouldn't go the way of the wall!

It's a pity that Orange Motors guy wouldn't go the way of the wall!

Where is he? I know the name but a few garages spring to mind...

Where is he? I know the name but a few garages spring to mind...

Behind Hegarty's on the Tipp Road

Edit....just carzoned him...he's now called NRG Motors....the Nth name change in the last few years....it all stems from Castletroy Motors anyway.

Ya sure Castletroys Motors we that, then something else, now something else again. I think they were avoiding what was said in the papers:D

Seeing as you're defending the dealers, I wouldn't expect it to.

So, rather than explain your logic and validate your point, you dismiss my query due to where I work...

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

I've a good mate in Renault Sales and he hasn't sold a single new car since the middle of last month. This is a lad who was moving 1-2 new cars a day six months ago. Scary times ahead...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

There was an independent car sales showroom up on the Greenhills Road, just beside Stewarts Land Rover Dealership, that shut up shop a few months ago. Can't remember what they were called...

So, rather than explain your logic and validate your point, you dismiss my query due to where I work...

:rolleyes:

I have no idea where you work, and you really need that logic explaining?.... better that you show your 1.5-2% if its actually your business?

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

I have no idea where you work, and you really need that logic explaining?.... better that you show your 1.5-2% if its actually your business?

I think we all need your logic explaining, not a word of your posts makes any sense.

Advertisement