Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Is a rear fog light necessary for doing the driving test?

Options
  • 10-10-2008 3:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭

Is a working rear fog light necessary for doing the driving test?

My partner was informed last night by her new driving instructor (ISM) that we needed a working rear fog light on our 1998 suzuki jimny. Now the jeep only has front fog lights that we never use as we live in the city!! It has passed several NCT tests since we have owned the jeep and its the first time I have heard we need a fog light at the back of the jeep, (although its not factory standard on this model for its age afaik).

Will she fail the test on this matter?:rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Well here's a list, taken from the rules of the road of the required rear lights on a car.
    At the back:
    Two red lights (commonly known as tail lights)
    Two red brake lights
    Two red reflectors
    Number plate lighting
    Direction indicator lights (amber only)
    So no, a rear fog light is not a legal requirement. As you said, it would have been an extra. Anyway, the tester will not ask you to display your fogs during the test.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

I had the same problem coming up to my test and I asked my instructor.

He told me that although they may ask you where your switch is to turn on your fog light, they will not inspect whether it works or not.

Now I was missing the entire light, and he told me that although its not normally looked at that i may want to get a lamp fitted as there have been cases of people being refused tests without one, so i got one and it was never checked. But who knows I may not have been taken out had I not got one. It didnt have a bulb, and still doesnt, so if its only the bulb you are missing, forget it, if its the entire lamp, you should be fine, but you never know!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Tomohawk

Thanks for the replies. Looks like its another Irish driving test rumour and undefined myth...oh well!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

There is no requirement here for fog lights (front or rear) in any vehicle. Therefore they cannot be expected to be fitted/operational for a driving test here.

Some of the confusion is caused by the fact that a rear fog light is a mandatory requirement in the UK and many other countries. Therefore most cars here tend to have a rear fog light at least.

Further confusion is caused by the NCT. Although fogs are not required, front fogs are tested to see if they are aligned correctly (so that they don't cause inconvienence to others). If the fogs are disconnected/bulbs removed, they are not tested.

Advertisement