Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone on O2 prepay

• 10-10-2008 3:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭

for those interested, from the horses mouth:

the iPhone will be available via prepay on O2 for the christmas business. prices are beween €529 and €569 - in fact not subsidised at all. no info on special priceplans yet.

it should also become available soon for billpay customers that are waiting for theirs.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,937 ✭✭✭trellheim

3g or not 3g ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

3g AFAIK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭matchthis

Which horse? I see they are starting a new data thing of a max of 99c a day or something. Still, chances are no stock and did they mention which Christmas :D

THE horse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

What's the point when they can't even get stock for contract users?

http://www.o2online.ie/wps/wcm/connect/O2/Home/Shop/Phones/iPhone+3G/Find+out+more

• Advertisement

i think there is more behind this then "no stock".

hint: stop of all upgrades at the end of the quarter and releasing upgrades at the start ofthe new quarter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

i think there is more behind this then "no stock".

hint: stop of all upgrades at the end of the quarter and releasing upgrades at the start ofthe new quarter.
    Yes, they've over spent their budget.

for those interested, from the horses mouth:

the iPhone will be available via prepay on O2 for the christmas business. prices are beween €529 and €569 - in fact not subsidised at all. no info on special priceplans yet.

it should also become available soon for billpay customers that are waiting for theirs.
    What horse?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Random wrote: »
    What horse?
    My lovely horse?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Seriously, anyone who spends 550 euro on a phone deserves to be ass raped.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Random wrote: »
    Yes, they've over spent their budget.

are you saying 02 have no money to buy new stock?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Seriously, anyone who spends 550 euro on a phone deserves to be ass raped.

there are plently of ****ter ways to spend money tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭failsafe

are you saying 02 have no money to buy new stock?
    He's saying O2 have no budget to subsidise new iPhones

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

failsafe wrote: »

looks pretty bad for o2 then, doesnt it? are they sitting on stock then?

steve jobs must be very impressed with them right now...

I have no source for this other than I've read it in some posts and I'm pretty sure some people linked to "sources". I'm not 100% sure though but it sorta makes sense.
    looks pretty bad for o2 then, doesnt it? are they sitting on stock then?

steve jobs must be very impressed with them right now...

I believe there are stock problems regardless of how much money O2 were willing to put into it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

What?! Just after I signed my soul over to Apple for eighteen months?!

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭danger mouse

Hmmm cpw have them there is 6 16 gig iphone 3gs sitting in my shop since thursday. O2 retail dosnt seem to have them tho. I heard from a customer that he was given a list of all the stores with Iphones in them, 2 weeks ago by someone in o2 retail. then when he went to the stores on the list he was told by the SC that they had them but couldnt sell them??? wonder how true this is. O2 seem to be really short staffed in their call centre at the mo too. Takes ages to get through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Hmmm cpw have them there is 6 16 gig iphone 3gs sitting in my shop since thursday. O2 retail dosnt seem to have them tho. I heard from a customer that he was given a list of all the stores with Iphones in them, 2 weeks ago by someone in o2 retail. then when he went to the stores on the list he was told by the SC that they had them but couldnt sell them??? wonder how true this is. O2 seem to be really short staffed in their call centre at the mo too. Takes ages to get through.

Oh yeah, forgot about that - when I was first looking for one, Carphone Warehouse Maynooth had one left which they were allowed sell to customers from other networks, but not to current o2 customers. (As it was 16GB and white, I didn't get it then...)

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭danger mouse

Oh yeah, forgot about that - when I was first looking for one, Carphone Warehouse Maynooth had one left which they were allowed sell to customers from other networks, but not to current o2 customers. (As it was 16GB and white, I didn't get it then...)

Haha they didnt sell it to you as they would make more commession on it as a new connection or port, nothing to do with people on other networks. Some of these shops have muppets working in them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I heard this as the reason why they'd stopped upgrades for the time being too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭failsafe

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Just having look at the price plans, if you use the 3G daily you'll effectively pay €30 a month on top of whatever else you use. (More if you use more than 50Mb in a day).

Add that to the €20 min top up and that's more than my monthly bill without even making a call already.

No regrets. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,252 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Nice of them to throw in free Wi-FI:)

Are their international rates not against EU law.....I thought there was a cap brought in, 95cent to the UK and €1.90 to the rest of the EU seems very expensive...

• Registered Users Posts: 48 future.music

Dades wrote: »
    Just having look at the price plans, if you use the 3G daily you'll effectively pay €30 a month on top of whatever else you use. (More if you use more than 50Mb in a day).

Add that to the €20 min top up and that's more than my monthly bill without even making a call already.

No regrets. :p

I agree. Plus you're paying €569 for the phone instead of just €229 with a contract.

As much as people don't like signing up to 18 month contracts I think that with this particular phone it's definitely the way to go.

Also, has anyone noticed how much they're charging on PAYG for calls to non-02 mobile numbers? 49 cent per minute!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Ii guess that these phones will be the older 8gb models that Apple & O2 want to shift, like they did by flooding the country with the crappy 1st generation handsets earlier on in the year.

You can get a 16 GB handset for that on Ebay on many "buy it now" posts Jailbroken or not for €550 or less.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Apple-Iphone-3G-16GB-NEW-IN-BOX_W0QQitemZ180298192918QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item180298192918&_trkparms=72%3A1348%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

• Registered Users Posts: 13 lockie

hi. i'm a student and i don't make many calls. i text a lot and with free unlimited text to any network i save a fortune with just €20 top up every month which is enough for the calls. so unless the monthly payment is €20 i don't find the iphone billpay is the way to go at all. with the price of iphone PAYS in the UK of £350 and free nationwide wi-fi it is very attractive. but with O2 ireland charging more than €500, i would rather have a short trip to belfast and get the iphone there unlocked with turbo sim. ROI is such a ripoff nation and people don't complaint i wonder why...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,252 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

What happend to the 2G iphones? Anywhere they can be picked up cheap now?, I want an iphone for the Apple apps to go with my imac, not to worreid about 3G on it...

lockie wrote: »
    hi. i'm a student and i don't make many calls. i text a lot and with free unlimited text to any network i save a fortune with just €20 top up every month which is enough for the calls. so unless the monthly payment is €20 i don't find the iphone billpay is the way to go at all. with the price of iphone PAYS in the UK of £350 and free nationwide wi-fi it is very attractive. but with O2 ireland charging more than €500, i would rather have a short trip to belfast and get the iphone there unlocked with turbo sim. ROI is such a ripoff nation and people don't complaint i wonder why...

I understand what you mean but the main thing about iPhone is the mobile web - you'll be charged for that and as Dades has pointed out you can easily end up spending €30/month on it - trust me, once you have an iPhone you'll be wanting to use it as a mobile web device a lot. So, if i was a student and just wanted a phone to send texts and receive calls I'd stay well clear of the iPhone - cos really, if you're just using the phone to receive calls and send txts, what's the point in spending €570 on a phone (albeit a very nice & shiney one)?

If you made 10 calls a month, each lasting 5 minutes, to any Irish mobile network other than O2 (i.e. to a Vodafone/Meteor/3 number) that would cost you €24.50 per month.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Skippy65

O2 ireland are useless. If they cant get stock for bill paying customers now how are they going to get stock for prepay customers by christmas? Their customer service is terrible also

Advertisement