Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone on O2 prepay

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭johnk123

Dades wrote: »
    Just having look at the price plans, if you use the 3G daily you'll effectively pay €30 a month on top of whatever else you use. (More if you use more than 50Mb in a day).

Add that to the €20 min top up and that's more than my monthly bill without even making a call already.

No regrets. :p
    I'm in the same boat as yourself. I do use data everyday, i text a load(but thank god for Eirtext) And i keep with my call quota.

I dont regret it either. Particularly in so that i went for the 16GB model which is €569 on PAYG.... plus your 300 odd euro a year in data, and the min required top up of 20€p/month..... the 45 per month seems like an okay deal in my eyes...

As you said Dades,

No regrets!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

I'm currently working for o2 in N.Ireland and frankly I wouldn't touch the Iphone on O2 Ireland. You are being shafted. I'm doing the iphone for £349 and £399 for 8 and 16 gig versions and they come with 12 months free web and wifi access. One of the Key items that I'm mystery shopped on is the Iphone and one of the four points that you must mention in your sales pitch is that its a "revolutionary internet device". At the cost that O2 Ireland are looking for web access.... you'd be silly to buy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭turly

Not to mention their revision to the O2 Speakeasy Terms & Conditions:
    Handset Locking

Your mobile phone is restricted to use on the O2 Ireland network. If you terminate your Pre-Pay service with us, or do not remain on one of our dedicated tariffs for iPhone, only the ipod function on your mobile phone will work. If you attempt to unlock your mobile phone and use on another network, it may become permanently unusable. This amends section 9.2 of the O2 Speakeasy terms.

Handy. You're stuck with 'em for life.

Rather than spending E569, you could do worse than buy a 32GB iPod Touch for E369 and spend 150 euro on an E51, blowing the other 50 euro on a few nice bottles of wine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭johnk123

turly wrote: »

Rather than spending E569, you could do worse than buy a 32GB iPod Touch for E369 and spend 150 euro on an E51, blowing the other 50 euro on a few nice bottles of wine.

True, for someone who doesn't need the internet always with them, the ipod touch is definitely a good choice. But you'd be surprised just how usefull the internet is to you if you are in and around cities a lot. And within a month or so of using an iphone, you'll be surprised how often you use it to pull up a web page or check cinema times etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,252 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

neilled wrote: »
    o2 in N.Ireland!

are the 02 pay as you go tarrifs the same in the north as the uk..

looks crazy expensive.....I think we need to send Eddie Hobbs up there...

http://www.o2international.co.uk/standardrate_and_data.aspx#payandgo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

NiSmO wrote: »

Yes, the net amount you are charged every month is €45.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

They're owned by Telefonica in Spain, a huge company, also o2 have reserves. *Why* they got themselves in the upgrade situation I do not not know, because they could have relatively easily dug into their retained earnings or went to Telefonica looking for more. Last year was one of their best financial years on record. They were obviously fearful of something else, but once again, we're not being told anything except what we need to know.

o2 only buy stock for their retail stores. For the bulk of the o2 dealers, they are bought and sold through a contracted external company who are paid commission on signups, so the idea some people are having about "can't afford new stock" makes very little sense.

Bare in mind, the stock situation in Ireland is so bad because you're competing against the whole world while trying to get an iphone. And because you're living on the middle of a tiny island pushed off europe, of course o2 ireland are going to be the last to receive any stock. The exact same will happen at christmas, to a lesser extent, but it will happen all the same, because not having a contract is a huge benefit to some people, especially young people under the age of 18.

I have an N95, which cost me €190 because i got my mothers vodafone upgrade. It was well over €500 on pay as you go at the time. Anyone who pays €500 for a phone, in my opinion, is either rich or stupid, or both. And anyone who pays that much and doesn't get insurance is even sillier to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭BoardsRanger

Just a question in relation to the free wi-fi for 12 months - does that mean that after a year you would not be able to use the phone to access the net via your home router??

• Advertisement

Just a question in relation to the free wi-fi for 12 months - does that mean that after a year you would not be able to use the phone to access the net via your home router??
    No. You can still connect to wireless networks like your home network or office/school/etc. but just that you won't have access to wi-fi for free in certain public locations. Moreso applies to other countries than ireland. Bitbzz is kinda scarely populated in ireland, especially in connaught.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭bluemachaveli

No just at bitbuzz hotspots!

Bill pay is the way to go! 99 cent a day is ****e!

Bill pay is the way to go! 99 cent a day is ****e!
    Yep. Buying an iphone on prepay is like building a lighthouse in a bog. Brilliant, but expensive and useless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭BoardsRanger

cheers and just one more question- i heard that iphones can only use bluetooth with other iphones- does anybody know if this is true?

cheers and just one more question- i heard that iphones can only use bluetooth with other iphones- does anybody know if this is true?

Bluetooth only works with headsets and car kits.
    No file sending between iPhones or any other phones!

Bluetooth only works with headsets and car kits.
    No file sending between iPhones or any other phones!
    Is that true? Whilst I understand why, isn't that a bit stupid?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

johnk123 wrote: »
    True, for someone who doesn't need the internet always with them, the ipod touch is definitely a good choice. But you'd be surprised just how usefull the internet is to you if you are in and around cities a lot. And within a month or so of using an iphone, you'll be surprised how often you use it to pull up a web page or check cinema times etc

Because you can't use the e51's wifi, hsdpa or your own choice of browser to look up the internet?

NiSmO wrote: »
    Yah, I understand why, but what about photo's that I take that i want to share with my family, or other material that belongs to me?

Third Party app's are controlled and regulated by Apple. Such an app will never, ever reach the consumer, and apple will make sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

nevf wrote: »
    Yah, I understand why, but what about photo's that I take that i want to share with my family, or other material that belongs to me?

Third Party app's are controlled and regulated by Apple. Such an app will never, ever reach the consumer, and apple will make sure.

This app is being released on the App store soon and allows you to transfer files between iPhones that have the program. Not as good, but better than nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Royal Gunner

O2 completely overspent their Q3 budget and decided to cancel all upgrades for everyone until October 1st as a result.

There is a massive stock of 3G Iphones sitting in Dublin but Apple will not release them to O2 as there are deliberately holding them back to create a demand.
    Apple have already surpased the Q4 08 target of 10m units and are happy to slow the release of the phone to market as it is creating a massive demand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,252 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

O2 completely overspent their Q3 budget and decided to cancel all upgrades for everyone until October 1st as a result.

There is a massive stock of 3G Iphones sitting in Dublin but Apple will not release them to O2 as there are deliberately holding them back to create a demand.
    Apple have already surpased the Q4 08 target of 10m units and are happy to slow the release of the phone to market as it is creating a massive demand.

If they hold on much longer there going to have serious competition, LG Renior, Sony C905, Nokia N96 to name but a few....
    Why anybody would sign up to overpriced 18mt contract is beyond me....the iphone is nice but it's a pile of ****e compared to the competition..

• Registered Users Posts: 48 future.music

Where are you getting this information? I find it highly implausible that Apple are withholding stock from O2 just to create demand. Apple are in business to sell their products. Period. If it was Apple's policy to withhold stock to create demand then it would be happening in other countries too. This is not the case, in Britain iPhones are readily available. I do not find it at all plausible that Apple are carrying out a policy of withholding stock to create demand just in Ireland - a relatively tiny market for them. Anyway, there's absolutely no need for them to drive up demand - demand for iPhone 3G has ALWAYS been phenomenal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭apollodjs

Its out today on speakeasy in CPW on grafton st think they have a few not sure of price.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

the iphone is nice but it's a pile of ****e compared to the competition..
    If there's that much demand for shíte I'm gonna start eating more fiber.

If they hold on much longer there going to have serious competition, LG Renior, Sony C905, Nokia N96 to name but a few....
    Why anybody would sign up to overpriced 18mt contract is beyond me....the iphone is nice but it's a pile of ****e compared to the competition..
    the main reason for signing up to o2 contracts on o2 would be, from my experience, the fact that it's €5 cheaper per month on all contracts if you choose the 18mth option over the 12mth option.

Some very good, in fact brilliant, more flexible phones hitting the market now, and I predict that the iphone's reign of the title of smartphone chief is short lived. Sure, touchscreen and user interface are brilliant features, but you can't sell the product on them two features alone forever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

The iPod still doesn't have an internal radio. So I dunno.

I've had mine on bill pay for about 2 months now. On prepay i could spend any thing from 60-80 a month on credit! I have to say that the bill is perfect for me.

Loads of minutes left and using Eirtext i get an extra 250 texts a month!
    While i agree the tariffs can seem expensive, the €45 a month works perfect for me! I would like unlimited data but if i take it easy on youtube 1gb is fine!
    The best move i ever made!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

nevf wrote: »
    Sure, touchscreen and user interface are brilliant features, but you can't sell the product on them two features alone forever.

The funny thing is though, they can and they have, and are laughing about it. Bastards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Devious

Quick question guys, sorry if slightly off topic, im with Vodafone and entitled to an upgrade , have had a Nokia N91 for the past 2 years and want a change, I was going to switch to 02 and get the 16 gig iphone but im not so sure now. If you guys had the choice what would you go for? Should I wait for new models?

Advertisement