Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone on O2 prepay

124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

metalfest wrote: »
    i think they need to realize they're selling phones.......
    like think about it, half a grand for a phone......

If you think €480 for an iPhone is bad, check this out: http://www.carphonewarehouse.ie/product.php/309/40/nokia_8600/9d6265cb3da3119030bcb0e29a11766f

You would have to be completely insane to buy that phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

i know, i just think it a bit crazy like.....

I tis a bit mad. I have an iphone and given the amount of data I use it for and that 02 have unlimited data with fair use I thinkit worth it - I was paying £30(sterling) on a monthly plan before and now pay £35. So except for the original cost of the phone and the extra £5 a month ( which is not that much considering how much more I use the 3G data network) it is not any more expensive.

But the pay to go. Nope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

metalfest wrote: »
    i think they need to realize they're selling phones.......
    like think about it, half a grand for a phone......

The N95 was about 700€ when first released.
    Check out the cost of a new and unlocked, N96.

My iPhone cost me 569€, unlocked. It is also a 16GB iPod. It is a mini-Mac in my hand. It is a streaming device. It also makes calls.

I own the other phones too (and many others besides). They all appear neaderthal in comparison.

Bond-007 wrote: »
    So sticking a sim card into it is not enough?

I take it buying overseas will cause huge problems with activation?

Sticking a SIM in is enough. My Italian iPhone encountered no problems and I regularly swap at least half-a-dozen SIMs in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭odie2020

So i purchased a Speakeasy Iphone came home put in my bill pay sim and its working fantastic... no stupid iphone tarrif....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

odie2020 wrote: »
    So i purchased a Speakeasy Iphone came home put in my bill pay sim and its working fantastic... no stupid iphone tarrif....

for the love of god make sure you have a data tariff on your billpay account

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭metalfest

that nokia 8600 is a joke....lke at the end of the day it is a phone..
    fair enough new smartphones are basically computers, but unless your bill pay forget it.........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭metalfest

well done:) :D
    and no silly 18 month contract

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭odie2020

yes indeed i do have a data plan,

total of 40 euro per month,

25 euro gives me unlimited calls to O2 and Landlines
    and 15 euro data add on gives me 1gig of data..

Sweet,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

...and 15 euro data add on gives me 1gig of data..

What add on is that. I thought they only had 7.50 for 250mb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

BostonB wrote: »
    What add on is that.
    The one on their website

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

cgarvey wrote: »

Are you talking about Broadband 1GB? Is that not completely different to Mobile Internet 250MB.
    Can you use that for browsing the web on your mobile?
    I thought it was only using your phone as a modem. Are they one and the same?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

you can do with you data allowance (from any bundle) what you want. you don't have to use it exclusively on your computer or exclusively on your phone. if you think you need 1GB of data for checking your mails on the mobile - fine. nobody cares! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

BostonB wrote: »
    Are you talking about Broadband 1GB? Is that not completely different to Mobile Internet 250MB.
    Can you use that for browsing the web on your mobile?
    I thought it was only using your phone as a modem. Are they one and the same?

Ah, OK .. I thought you were being extremely lazy ;)

Yes, you can use the broadband add-on, on your phone (and/or in a USB dongle/modem, if you like). Last time I checked the Mobile Internet didn't allow phone-as-modem usage, but the Broadband add-ons did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,252 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Can you unlock and Jailbreak an 02 iphone 3G using Pwnage?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

Can you unlock and Jailbreak an 02 iphone 3G using Pwnage?

Jailbreak - yes

Unlock - no

• Registered Users Posts: 6 genyass

For all that have activated an o2 iphone 3g, what happens during the activation process? Are you required to imput your mobile number or sim number? Or would it be possible insert a different sim with a turbosim and activate under that number?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Gerard_Smith

Hang on, you can buy a pay as you go iphone in Ireland NOW!? :eek:

Indeed and begorrah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,252 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

i heard 02 are now giving a free tub of KY Jelly with every iphone:D

• Advertisement

Yeah I just had a look, whats this 99c per day data tariff? Is that deducted from your credit every day regardless of whether you use 3G or not because from where I'm standing thats looking like a €30 monthly bill.

Yeah I just had a look, whats this 99c per day data tariff? Is that deducted from your credit every day regardless of whether you use 3G or not because from where I'm standing thats looking like a €30 monthly bill.

Not at all, it is initialised ONLY if you use data in a given day.

i heard 02 are now giving a free tub of KY Jelly with every iphone:D

Nonsense, man, you get the KY Jelly app at the App Store. O2 give you a voucher just to, um, rub it in

culabula wrote: »
    Not at all, it is initialised ONLY if you use data in a given day.

I see. So I'm at home, got the iphone on, surfing the net via my wifi connection, got the 3G turned off if that is an option and I'm not getting charged 99c for the pleasure. That seems far more reasonable.

I see. So I'm at home, got the iphone on, surfing the net via my wifi connection, got the 3G turned off if that is an option and I'm not getting charged 99c for the pleasure. That seems far more reasonable.

Well, the iPhone always defaults to wifi anyway, so you're cool.

Whether you're using 3G or not doesn't affect how much you're charged. You are charged for the amount of data, not the speed you download it at. Turning off 3G will save your battery life considerably, though.

mobius42 wrote: »
    Whether you're using 3G or not doesn't affect how much you're charged. You are charged for the amount of data, not the speed you download it at. Turning off 3G will save your battery life considerably, though.

No the point I was getting at was if I'm at home and I do all my Internet related stuff that day via wifi I would not be happy getting charged 99c anyway. Apparently that is not the case.

No the point I was getting at was if I'm at home and I do all my Internet related stuff that day via wifi I would not be happy getting charged 99c anyway. Apparently that is not the case.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.
    Now that the iPhone's available on prepay, they should probably create a setting to turn off data, like the data roaming option except for your home network. Though if you don't want to use data, you probably shouldn't get an iPhone in the first place.

Advertisement