Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone Broadband Unusable - how to I get out of contract?

Options
  • 10-10-2008 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    A friend of mine got Vodafone 3G Broadband last May is paying 30 euro a month for something that is a money drain and is useless to her.
    She gets crap quality after 5pm every day and can barely use it during the day time, i did a speed test recently and she was getting less than 100k download during the day time on a weekday before 5pm, that is if she is off work during a weekday and manages to get to use the internet (very rare).
    Dialup internet would be faster. Actually with dialup you can at least expect the page to eventually load up. With vodafone broadband 90% of the time after 5pm during a weekday and weekend she cant get anything to appear when she needs to use the damn thing.

She is living in Limerick city so coverage should not be an issue.
    I am guessing contention is the issue and with some many users connecting to the same cell the broadband is unusuable even if it says connected at 3.6 meg bytes.

From reading the Vodafone website, the "Hassle-free returns policy" mentioned is no good now cause she left it too late.
    She is only a casual user of the website so she never persued cancelling it up to now.

She doesnt have a phone in the house and doesnt have NTL/Chorus connection so she is limited in what broadband provider she would get. Not knowing much about the internet, she decided to pick Vodafone last May purely because her mobile contract is with them too. That is the only reason she went with vodafone. I only found out about all this recently, so I told her to go back to the shop in which she bought the broadband from and complain to them. They didnt want to help and just gave her a vdoafone customer helpdesk number to ring. She hasnt rung it yet, she asked me to talk to them on her behalf because she doesnt know what to say. So Im gonna ring on her behalf and try get her out of the contract. Because right now she is basically giving 30 euro to Vodafone for something she cannot use.

Questions for you all:
    Q1: Can anyone give advice on what she can do to get out of the 12 month contract?
    Q2: Could I claim that since she is not getting adequate service that Vodafone are in breach of their contract and say I will get the RegCom on to them?
    Q3: Is there Direct Debit Issues I should be aware off?
    Could she just stop the DD from the bank?
    Q4: Can anyone recommend a broadband company in Limerick city?
    Which isnt DSL, Cable or one of the crappy mobile broadbands. Is there a wireless company in Limerick?
    Q5: Is Digiweb any good?
    I'm not from Limerick so I dont know what is good and what is crap for Limerick City.

Thanks
    Baron Fly Guy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

I bought one of these modems last May but returned it 6 days later because the coverage was crap and that was the end of that.

Unfortuately thay have signed a contract for 12 months and they are using the product so I'd doubt that they'll have any come back from Vodafone. I'm sure the level of service that was possible was some where in the contract and as the product was on trial for 2 weeks for the customer to see if its suitable.

You have no control over the direct debit as Vodafone have a contract and a mandate telling your bank manager to take the money when due.

Advertisement