Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Change order of "Save as type"

Options
  • 10-10-2008 4:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭

If anyone knows how to do this I will be forever grateful! And very impressed :D

Say in excel when you go to Save as the default one (Office2007) is .xlsx. So to save as a .csv you have to scroll down through the options.
    I save files as .csv and .txt(tab delimited) quite a lot.

Is there a way to change the order so that .csv is number 2 in the list and .txt is number 3? I know I am only saving seconds here in time terms but I like to be an efficient little bunny.

Many thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

There's a probably a registry hack or somesuch to do this, but I can't find it.

Something which may help is to go into the excel options, under the "Save" yokie and change the default document type to .txt (or.csv)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Daithi McGee

seamus wrote: »
    There's a probably a registry hack or somesuch to do this, but I can't find it.

Something which may help is to go into the excel options, under the "Save" yokie and change the default document type to .txt (or.csv)

Hi Seamus. I did and still am googling this and it seems that it might not be possible.
    I use excel all day long and 95% of my files are normal excel ones so I can't change the default save type. I do the .csv and .txt thing about two or three times a day. I know it is 10 mouse wheel turns to .txt and 14 to .csv so I can pick them without looking but it would have been nice to see the top three i use at the top rather than this whacko method I use :D

Thanks for the reply!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Then a very quick tip to avoid having to do all that scrolling;

Type in the file name and hit tab. Then just press C to change to CSV or T (twice) to change to TXT. And hit return to save it.

How much time would that save? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Daithi McGee

seamus wrote: »
    Then a very quick tip to avoid having to do all that scrolling;

Type in the file name and hit tab. Then just press C to change to CSV or T (twice) to change to TXT. And hit return to save it.

How much time would that save? :D

Seamus,

You sir are Genius. That is the kind of efficient stuff that rocks my world :D
    You have made me about 90% more efficient when saving those file types now. Combined with my common save to folders E.G "C/Temp" added to the left column in the save as window I is the super efficient! The macros help too :)

If I ever see you in Scholars I owe you a pint! (Cycling forum and bb pics) ;)

Advertisement