Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cancel UPC, keep BB+phone??

Options
  • 10-10-2008 4:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭

Hey I’m thinking of cancelling UPC in favour of Sky HD, but I’ll keep my broadband and phone with them. However like their downgrade fees, UPC aren’t very clear on some things:

• If I cancel all TV, incl Analogue do I still have to pay for the point where my broadband/phone comes in?
    • I have a €6 discount for triple play however there is a €6 charge on broadband with no TV. Are these 2 the same charge? Therefore will I be paying €12 more of just losing the discount?
    • Do I get to keep the cables? Obviously they’ll disconnect them from the master point under the roof however I want to use the points for FTA and Sky.
    • Is there any fee for downgrading even though I’m with them for more than 7 years?

Thanks in advance.;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

dave-higgz wrote: »
    If I cancel all TV, incl. Analogue do I still have to pay for the point where my broadband/phone comes in?
    No you don't. They will provide this point as part of the BB/Phone subscription charge.
    I have a €6 discount for triple play however there is a €6 charge on broadband with no TV. Are these 2 the same charge? Therefore will I be paying €12 more of just losing the discount?
    More than likely, yes. UPC bills are incredibly badly laid out and very confusing. Basically, assuming you have "UPC Broadband Express" broadband and the basic phone service, your monthly bill will look like:
    € 30 - UPC Broadband Express
    € 4 - Phone Line Rental
    € 6 - No TV package charge
    They will disconnect every cable point in your house, bar the point to which your Cisco/Scientific Atlanta cablemodem is connected to.
    Is there any fee for downgrading even though I’m with them for more than 7 years?
    You may be able to blag them into waiving this for you, but in all likelihood, they won't. What's worse is if you have digital TV from them, and you want to get rid of TV with them completely (analogue too), they consider these two seperate services so you will be charged €10 for downgrading/disconnecting your digital and another €10 for removing the analogue subscription. Ridiculous, but there you go. That said though, if you're on an Ex-NTL cable network (Dublin, Wateford, Galway) then even though you will have cancelled your analogue and stopped paying them for it, the analogue channels will still be available on the cable point your broadband enters anyway, so a simple two way signal splitter will let you connect your cablemodem in one side of the splitter and your TVs to the other side so you still get the 17 analogue channels for essentially €6 per month.

Hope this helps you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭dave-higgz

That's a great help, Thank you.

Now I have to spend an hour on hold to cancel them. Should be fun:D!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

Only to be told you have to write a letter to them!

Oh wait actually I was on their website and for new customers it's €30 for BB+phone not €36 as it should be. http://www.upc.ie/deals/newcustomer/

Therefore I will only loose my discount at present. Or are UPC only charging their existing customers??

ok so, rang UPC today and to my surprise got through very quickly (obviously aren't very busy on a Saturday). However the woman was dopey as hell and after 5 mins of her putting me on hold to ask someone else about my questions she answered:

I only loose my triple play discount of €6. There is no charge for BB without Tv just the loss of a discount.

Then she said that they wouldn't touch my cables but instead disconnect the analogue points from the roof. (Ladder + twist = reconnect!!!) Only kidding I'm goin Freesat.

Finally she said that there wouldn't be any charge for disconnecting just that you have to give them 30days notice or sumtin like that.

Kensington, thanks for the reply but a dopey UPC phone girl just contradicted your answer, who's right????

• Advertisement

Finally she said that there wouldn't be any charge for disconnecting just that you have to give them 30days notice or sumtin like that.

Kensington, thanks for the reply but a dopey UPC phone girl just contradicted your answer, who's right????

Bastid!!! :pac:

The fuggers charged me a downgrade fee for scrapping analogue a while back!!! Hopefully, all going well then they won't charge you the ridiculous downgrade "administration" fee.

As regards http://www.upc.ie/deals/newcustomer/ , that's the bog standard 3Mb broadband with a 20GB monthly data allowance which costs €20 per month on it's own. Add €4 for your telephone line rental and then a further €6 non-TV subscription charge brings it to €30.

hmm actually the €30 is made up of €20 BB and €10 phone.
    The phone is only €4 when taken with 3 services but it's €10 when taken with 2 services. http://www.upc.ie/phone/

Oh **** so BB with no TV €6 + phone with no TV €6 + loss of discount €6

= €18 more??????????

THIS IS SO CONFUSING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Oh **** so BB with no TV €6 + phone with no TV €6 + loss of discount €6

= €18 more??????????

No, I'd say it is just BB with no TV €6 and phone with no TV €6 so €12 more.

Still a damn sight cheaper then Eircom.

Of course you should confirm all of this over the phone.

Do you really need the phone, many people don't use their phone anymore, just mobile.

hmm actually the €30 is made up of €20 BB and €10 phone.
    The phone is only €4 when taken with 3 services but it's €10 when taken with 2 services. http://www.upc.ie/phone/
    Their website is very unclear. It states phone is €10 with 2 services and €4 with 3 services however, it turns out this is assuming you are an existing TV customer. I am subscribed to JUST phone and broadband from them (no TV at all) and pay as follows:
    € 40 => Broadband Ultra (20Mb)
    € 4 => Phone Line Rental
    € 6 => Non-TV charge

So, the way the website sees it as is:
    TV with Phone (2 services) => €10
    TV with phone and broadband (3 services) => €4

BUT in reality Phone with Broadband (NO TV) => €4 also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭abraxas01

It's a bit confusing alright, so I checked with my buddy in UPC. Story is as follows:
    - If you have BB & Phone, your phone is charged at €4. That's irrespective of whether you have TV or not.
    - If you have BB and no TV, you get charged a €6 standalone charge. That's irrespective of whether you have phone or not.

Therefore, for your BB & phone service, you will be charged:
    BB Value €20
    Basic Telephone €4 (€10 - €6 discount)
    BB Standalone Charge €6
    Total Cost €30 (hence the €30 on the site)

As regards the Downgrade Fee, he says it should only apply if the you're downgrading a product e.g. Digital Tv down to Analogue TV, or Max down to Select, etc. However, standard cancellation fees for stopping the product do apply if you're still in contract with them e.g. within 12 months. Think the cost is €100.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 doughiska

hi does anyone know that if u cancel your broadband and phone line with ntl but keep you tv channells they charge 103euro is this true they are the worst crowd ever even tough we have been with them for 3 yrs

Advertisement