Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone Here Live in The Hardwick/New Hardwick??? Zee Coackroach Problem!

Options
  • 10-10-2008 5:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,989 ✭✭✭✭

I'm just curious if anyone here is living in this development and experiencing the cockroach problem that seems to be affecting this place. We had a major problem with them last year for six weeks but after getting the guys in from Owl pest control it went away (paid for out of my pocket and never reimbursed by the landlord).
    During that time we thankfully didn't suffer again from them but I heard of other buildings and apartments being affected in a big way.

So cue to this month and the problem has reared it's ugly head again. They are everywhere, it's disgusting. The woman who was in the apartment opposite ours has moved out because the problem is so bad. A few months back the caretaker was going door to door taking a census of who was having problems but for what reason I have no idea. The management company won't pay for pest control to come out and deal with the issue. The problem was so bad that the pest control were even spraying the common area's and my god was there alot of dead coackroaches in the days following that.

So I've been trying to get hold of the landlord but I have had no luck. Each time I ring his phone I get some sort of strange ringtone. I guess he could be out of the country but that's pretty poor when he needs to be contactable pretty much anytime. He still owes me €115 from calling out Owl last time, which was promised to me but I have yet to see so I'm a tad reluctant to call them out again as their fee has now risen to €130. I reckon if I don't manage to contact him I'll withhold payment next month until he gives me a call asking about the moola.

So has anyone else had a problem in this complex. What did you do? I'm thinking it might be time to move. Having to pay €1000pm and living in these conditions simply isn't good enough. It's a shame as otherwise it's a nice apartment, which is quiet and it's in a great location.

The cockroach infested apartment opposite ours is up for sale. I pity anyone who buys it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Nope.

Give your notice and move out. Then watch the landlord struggle to get a tenant as it will hurt his/her pocket and then he/she might do something about it.

Hit them in the pocket is the only way to force the issue in your case.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭what2do

There was an issue with this in a group of apts where I live and the management co/agent looked after it cos they need to stop them spreading....I'd say if you raise it as a health and safety issue they will have to sort if out.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,989 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

It was raised with them and their response was 'It's down to each individual apartment to sort out its own problems'. There are about 4-5 buildings in this complex so there's no way they'll pay to sort it out. I was told this by the caretaker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

If they're getting in from outside it is a management company responsibility as they ow the exterior of the buildings. Contact the management agent about it. In the majority of cases like this they will get the builders back in as infestations are generally as a result of gaps in the buildings.

We had a wasp infestation on one block of our development and the management company paid for pest control and recouped the money from the builders.

athtrasna wrote: »
    If they're getting in from outside it is a management company responsibility as they ow the exterior of the buildings. Contact the management agent about it. In the majority of cases like this they will get the builders back in as infestations are generally as a result of gaps in the buildings.

We had a wasp infestation on one block of our development and the management company paid for pest control and recouped the money from the builders.

I don't know if that's possible here as these apartments are at least 10-15 years old, hence the builders are long gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,399 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Cock roaches make it substandard accommodation. Have a word with the PRTB and the housing department in the city council.

www.prtb.ie
    www.dublincity.ie

Alternatively, hire in some hungry geckos.

Victor wrote: »
    Cock roaches make it substandard accommodation. Have a word with the PRTB and the housing department in the city council.

www.prtb.ie
    www.dublincity.ie

Alternatively, hire in some hungry geckos.

Thanks Victor, I'll look into this on monday. Hmnmnnn geckos you say!

Got a call saturday morning from the landlord that he would contact the management company and let me know the outcome. I get the feeling that he wants to try and tackle the problem himself, which I'm not totally surprised about.

Still I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and see what happens within this week. I have been looking up places on Daft but I'm not thrilled with the idea of moving as it's alot of hassle and any place we move too needs to be quiet for the missus and finding somewhere that is is somewhat hit and miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I seem to recall reading before that unless the building as a whole is treated all at once they will keep coming back. Tacking it one apartment at a time is never going to work.
    I'd move out OP, living with that is just gross.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Agreed - I would move out asap

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shelli

My dad owns an apartment in the Hardwick, afaik he hasn't heard anything about cockroaches from his tenants, but I'll ask him and see if he's heard anything from the management company.

Supercell wrote: »
    I seem to recall reading before that unless the building as a whole is treated all at once they will keep coming back. Tacking it one apartment at a time is never going to work.
    I'd move out OP, living with that is just gross.
    Agreed - I would move out asap

I think that's whats going to have to happen.
    Shelli wrote: »
    My dad owns an apartment in the Hardwick, afaik he hasn't heard anything about cockroaches from his tenants, but I'll ask him and see if he's heard anything from the management company.

The caretaker was telling me that a number of apartments had a cockroach problem but the tenants never reported it and just lived with them, which seems pretty fecking disgusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭what2do

have to say stil think the Mgt Agent should look after it - the cost of getting this sorted in our place was charged on our fees, you could see it on the accounts. For me it was not even a block I lived it - deemed to be to everyones advantage to get it sorted so we paid... have to say it wasn't something I would have queried as I really wouldn't want them spreading throughout the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭brownbeard

I assume no news is good news? I recently considered a move to this development, but this has put me right off. Anyone heard anything about this problem in the past three years or know anything about the situation? Was it fully taken care of or is an infestation like this something that can never fully be gotten rid of, like Brittany Spears or something?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement