Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

They ban you for anything round here....

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

You NEVER read a thread started by me that trundled over about 5 screens.

Never.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Look!!! as far as I am concerned this issue is closed

I hold no personal animosity to T01, just said what I thought was an opinion.

Most others didn't agree me , I notice, and I acknowledge that.

Thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

I think you are taking the wrong approach by contesting/complaining about your ban. you would be better served - imo, anyway - by starting a converstation about how off-topic is off-topic. The fact that threads are kept relatively on-topic means that Karoma had no choice but to ban you when you replied to his warning with a post that you have to accept was off-topic.

Your OP was funny enough, but it's really more suited for a blog, i thought anyway. Funny as it is, this is a discussion forum, and it doesn't really prompt a discussion of anything - maybe the worst thing that ever happened to you, I accept :) - but there could be loads of threads like that and, funny as some of them might be, it'd be a pain in the arse after a while. maybe that's what bantam meant :) The fact remains, tho, that instead of reporting his posts (and I understand why you didn't) or just ignoring him, you fought back. And again, fair enough, I doubt that either of ye (you or bantam) would take anything too seriously. In that situation, all that's going to happen is that you'll end up going back and forth until the thread has to be locked. So what does the mod do? Warn ye all to get back on topic. What else could he do? And when you made a smart comment back, what choice did you give him?

my advice is, don't take these things too seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

FB, I know you're mental and all that lately, but this feedback isn't really about you.

I originally ignored you and your pygmy sex-goat. But, when it got abusive, then I had a few words. Big deal.

I think it takes a nutcase to really go after a post like you did, but you're maybe struggling with some stuff at the moment. Is something going on at home? Perhaps you're having some financial difficulties?

The ire of my feedback was directed at yer man karoma.

My only real problem was with the coversation:

"Tallaght, you're a ****er"

"Eh what? You're a ****er too, then"

"You mad bastrad....you're BANNED......for SEVEN days".

:confused:

Tbh, I said it before, responding to the mod of the forum calling you a ****er isn't dragging the thread off topic!!!!

Plus my post was totally suited for AH. I disagree that it wouldn't promote discussion, but even if it didn't....there's laods of stuff that doesn't promote discussion on boards. What about all those "post your links to ........ resources here" or those **** threads "Pics only, no chat" etc.

Like, in the good old days, when dudess was in there.....she may have said "hey guys, can we just take it easy please?". I'd have apologised straight up, and all would be well with the world.

My feedback is that there are too many mods who utterly abuse their position, while ironically complaining about users "fighting the powah".

tallaght01 wrote: »

My only real problem was with the coversation:

here's your problem dude, in your summary above, you paint the picture a certain way. If you read the actual quotes and you weren't involved in the thread, it reads differently.

Karoma:
    @tallaght01, nexahakwatsit, flutter:
    I've got a headache. Next one of you ****ers to add to it gets a banning.

Daddio: The report button exists. Use it.

Get back on topic and "play nice".

You:
    ****ers with headaches shouldn't read edgy, controversial threads, kid

So, while you may summarise that as

I would summarise that as:

Mod: Stop talking ****e, all of you
    You: No
    Mod: Banned.

And I'd have no complaints about that, tbh. While you may have some justification in arguing that a thread that doesn't really have a topic to begin with can't go off topic, you can't complain that you were banned for giving a smart answer when you were specifically told to stop.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Yeah tallaght, I have to say I agree with tbh.

However, I think it is double standards at work if a mod refers to posters as ****ers - even collectively/to nobody in particular etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

Dudess wrote: »
    Yeah tallaght, I have to say I agree with tbh.

However, I think it is double standards at work if a mod refers to posters as ****ers - even collectively/to nobody in particular etc.

but the regular posters are peasants. Let them eat cake :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Like, in the good old days, when dudess was in there.....she may have said "hey guys, can we just take it easy please?". I'd have apologised straight up, and all would be well with the world.

I knew this was Dudess's fault, I just knew it.

Even when they were all saying it was Karoma, I knew it was her fault.

I disagree.

I think if you call someone a ****er, you have to expect them to say something back to you, in reality.

People on boards take that kind of thing from moderators more than they should.

I'm not particularly up for taking it. I guess I'm just not a pussy. If that's a bannable offence, then fine.

But basically, at the end of the day.....

1) retorting to the moderator that called me a ****er can not possibly be construed as me taking the thread off topic. Surely?

2) Being banned for saying the same thing back to the moderator that he said to me seems strange, although in the context of how things normally work, I guess a lot of users would regard it as the norm.

1) retorting to the moderator that called me a ****er can not possibly be construed as me taking the thread off topic. Surely?

not taking, keeping.
    2) Being banned for saying the same thing back to the moderator that he said to me seems strange, although in the context of how things normally work, I guess a lot of users would regard it as the norm.

you should have reported the post. simple as. That's what any user is expected to do. The Ironic thing is your "I'm not a pussy" status, earned so well by standing up to karoma, has been somewhat eroded by complaining on here. Any user who did what you did would have been treated in the same way (in AH, certainly). It's up to you if you want to keep using AH or not.

• Advertisement

tbh, regardless of whether I kept, took or rode the conversation off-topic is neither here nor there. People should be entitled to some civility.

I started the thread in good faith. I started out being civil. I am the only one involved in this charade that can say that. I completely ignored flutter the first time he stuck his oar in. And even after that, I didn't think it was a huge deal. The thread would have found it's feet again soon enough.

It would have been easy, and it would have been good moderating to be civil to everyone concerned. But that doesn't get you your promotion to Smod, I guess.

So, he calls me a ****er. The idea of reporting Karoma to himself is laughable. It really is. You know what Karoma is like. I figure that if everyone stands up to him when he acts like that, things might change. That looks pretty unlikely from here.

But I'm not gonna sit there like a spa, while some randomer tries to show off to his mates. If that's a banning, so be it.

tbh, regardless of whether I kept, tok or rode the conversation off-topic is neither here nor there. People should be entitled to some civility.

I started the thread in good faith. I started out being civil. I am the only one involved in this charade that can say this. I completely ignored flutter the first time he stuck his oar in. And even after that, I didn't think it was a huge deal. The thread would have found it's feet again soon enough.

It would have been easy, and it would have been good moderating to be civil to everyone concerned. But that doesn't get you your promotion to Smod, I guess.

So, he calls me a ****er. The idea of reporting to himself is laughable. It really is. You know what Karoma is like. I figure that if everyone stands up to him when he acts like that, things might change. That looks pretty unlikely from here.

But I'm not gonna sit there like a spa, while some randomer tries to show off to his mates. If that's a banning, so be it.

well, "so be it" implies that you wouldn't be starting a feedback thread on it :p I mean - I agree with your general points. All I can say is, "twas ever thus".

tbh wrote: »
    well, "so be it" implies that you wouldn't be starting a feedback thread on it :p I mean - I agree with your general points. All I can say is, "twas ever thus".

"so be it" means I'd rather be banned for it, than sit there motionless, like one of flutterin's shytes, and take it.

Having said that, I never had any illusions that the ban woujld be overturned. I'm really just a casual user of AH anyway, and I never inhale, so it's no biggie.

But I do hate the way that some mods speak to people on here, and I just got it into my head to make a bit of a song and dance about it this time.

Realistically, though, I'm full of love for everyone :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭auerillo

I don't come here that often anymore, but see there is yet another thread about the politics forum, specifically about the moderation thereof. Yet another member joins the by now rather large club members who no longer contribute there, and consider the moderation to be a contributing factor to the impoverishing of the politics forum, and the sometimes petty, personally directed and spiteful nature of some of the moderation to be a disgrace.

Ho hum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

auerillo wrote: »
    I don't come here that often anymore, but see there is yet another thread about the politics forum, specifically about the moderation thereof. Yet another member joins the by now rather large club members who no longer contribute there, and consider the moderation to be a contributing factor to the impoverishing of the politics forum, and the sometimes petty, personally directed and spiteful nature of some of the moderation to be a disgrace.

Ho hum.

Emm, wasn't this thread about Karoma's moderation of After Hours. Where did the politics forum come in to it?

I is confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

watna wrote: »
    Emm, wasn't this thread about Karoma's moderation of After Hours. Where did the politics forum come in to it?

I is confused.

Ssshhhh he's too busy fighting da power to notice important details like that. Leave him at it :pac:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

auerillo wrote: »
    I don't come here that often anymore, but see there is yet another thread about the politics forum, specifically about the moderation thereof.

It helps to read the actual topic of a thread before dragging it up.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement