Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drill a hole through desk for Wires to go through??

• 10-10-2008 5:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭

Hey

What would be the best way to put a hole through a desk so I can get a couple of wires through?

Should I just go at it with a drill? Something like this?

6408.jpg

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39 paul8f

Think twice about what you're doing...

What if someone moves the desk without seeing the cables? This could end up with mains cable being exposed, and could cause the person to get an electric shock (or knock the power out for other people).

Only put the cables through the desk if the desk is firmy bolted to the floor, and use trunking or conduit to house the cable.

Then you could use the drill above, but instead of using a regular drill-bit, use a holesaw bit e.g. 25mm diameter. Also, use some sort of a grommet in the hole to prevent the cable from chafing off the edge.
    HOLESAW.JPG

313oi8-D%2BhL._SL500_AA280_.jpg
    Use goggles, and best of luck with it ! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 39 paul8f

For examples of proper (in-desk) cable organizing grommets check out:

http://cableorganizer.com/desk-grommet/round-desk-grommets.htm (standard)

or

http://cableorganizer.com/belkin/in-desk-usb-grommets.html (USB)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 211 ✭✭00011000

any idea where I can buy the grommets in a shop in ireland?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

00011000 wrote: »

ANY electrical wholesalers or else BnQ.

Also,most motor factors stock grommets for fitting into car bulkheads and firewalls.

But a rubber grommet wont work on a desk,as most o-ring grommets are only for 2mm thick material.

Idealy what you would need is either a cable tidy or else a length of 20-25mm split black copex and a plastic gland/nut steup.

I do this all the time for companies/offices and running CAt5e/Cat6 and Power leads up from floor boxes into the backs of metal and wooden desks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

00011000 wrote: »
    ikea do a 3 pack c/w 64 diameter hole saw for about 4 yo-yos: signum make ref 901.714.84 or 17225

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

OP, are they computer cables or electric cables?
    If computer cables then use a hole saw as Paulf suggested, making sure there is enough clearance to allow any pre-fitted connectors (vga, kettle lead etc) to pass through.
    If there electrical cables I would'nt, unless you can take the piece out completely ensuring the desk can be moved/removed without having to disconnect everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭inovo

I'vve done this before. Make sure the hole is big enough to fit all your cables plus the size of an electrical plug.

Advertisement