Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graphics card problem?

Options
  • 10-10-2008 6:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭

Hi,
    Any advice on the following would be greatly appreciated(i am not the most gifted with computers)

I have my current system about 15 months which has been perfect up to about 2 weeks ago and finally stopped working last night.I can only start up using safe mode, starting normally gives me a corrupted screen and hangs on the window's logo.

I first noticed a problem 2 weeks ago playing Warhammer online(i initally thought it was a warhammer bug),with occasional graphic problems like freezing,crashing but last night the computer froze, and the screen became corrupted.

I rebooted in safe mode and have tried new graphics drivers,and also i have re-seated the graphics card itself.

Is this a graphics card problem seeing as i can use safe mode to start up without any corruption?

Here is my main system specs;all @ stock speeds;

BFG GeForce 8800 Ultra OC 768MB GDDR3 HDTV/Dual DVI (PCI-Express)
    Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3P (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard
    Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2x1GB) DDR2 PC2-6400C4 800MHz Dual Channel Kit (BL2KIT12864AA80A)
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 "LGA775 Conroe" 2.67GHz (1066FSB)
    If i do need a new graphics card,what should i be looking for similar performance(1900x1200 resolution),thats compatible with my motherboard.

Thanks in advance,
    Mark.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Ishindar

sounds like a software corruption problem. the best way to fix it is to format your hdd and and reload windows, after 15 months it would be good for your pc anyway. at least u can back up your stuff first.
    it could also be a overheating problem but less likely. check that all your fans are working and hetsinks are clear of dust, particularly the graphics card and cpu.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Mthor5

Thanks for suggestion Ishindar,

Just finished a fresh install of windows/reformatting the hard drive(that was a fun Sunday morning/afternoon:pac:....and still have the same problem,it must be the graphics card.Fans and temperature are fine.

When the motherboard logo screen comes up first, that is corrupted with dots, then the windows loading screen is too,then it just hangs completely corrupted.

It will boot to start up screen fine if theres no nvidia display driver installed,but the motherboard logo and windows screen is still corrupted.

Think i'll get a 4870(is that best value for money for similar performance?) and hope its not the motherboard thats fecked:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

If its corrupt in the bios it's the card, probably bad memory. The 4870 is faster by a great deal then the 8800Ultra.

Advertisement