Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What stresses you out about driving.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Yes towel. I know what you mean(not Dublin). Strange looking expensive machine spraying chippings when they guy in the back of the tipper with a shovel did just a good a job.

WAIT WAIT I JUST REMEMBERED THE THING I REALLY HATE ABOUT THE ROADS

Lollipop wardens at traffic lights. They were there before the traffic lights existsted but now the traffic lights exist and/or pelican or zebra crossings, then why are we paying so much money to keep them in hi viz jobs, smoking into childrens faces helping them across the road when the perfectly good green man( which people obey ) does that job for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭chickenhawk

T-Maxx wrote: »
    23. Parking like a jerk, so close you can't open the driver's door and have to climb across from the passenger side

A person did this to me three days in a row once. I left a note the second day asking them not to. So i took the wipers off their car and left them so they look like they were attached. Next time I seen their car they had two big scratches on the window. They didn't do it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

TRACTORS WITH TRAILERS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

A person did this to me three days in a row once. I left a note the second day asking them not to. So i took the wipers off their car and left them so they look like they were attached. Next time I seen their car they had two big scratches on the window. They didn't do it again.

revenge is sweet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Watching the price on the pump tick over like crazy yet the litres are stuck in slow motion as I fill it up and feel my wallet shrinking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I'd be a fairly relaxed driver and accept most mistakes as 'normality' but the thing that really annoys me is the whole misplaced courtesy thing. I am waiting to make a right turn waiting for a line of traffic to pass from the opposite direction. As sure as anything, a moron who is the last vehicle in that line will stop and 'flash' me. WTF? You are the last car. Why not keep going and I will turn after you have passed and there will be no confusion? To add insult to injury, these morons will expect to be 'thanked' for going out of their way and assume that they have done a good deed. :rolleyes:

And there is also those who stop before a yellow box in heavy traffic and gesture impatiently for me to cross their path. Yes, you idiot, that is the purpose of the yellow box! :rolleyes:

Rant over! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭tom-d

When you arrive at your destination on a main road it does not turn into a carpark................................... where you half pull in at the side of the road still moving slowly then indicate and turn no wait actually im not going to turn but i still leave my indicator on,................... keep driving at 2km/h................. then pull out back onto the road(without indication)......................... go slow for the next mile looking for a place to turn!:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

I hope I don't ever travel in a lot of yer cars with all the ranting and raving going on here:p!

I'd say on average I use my car's horn maybe once every month. I'd only ever use it if somebody did something really bad, like somebody overtaking on a bend and I'm about to go around the bend. I see no point in getting p!$$€d off about it, I'd prefer if people didn't bother with these mistakes but I just accept that people are going to make mistakes and live with it.

I find if I do get p!$$€d off then I end up not concentrating properly and I get in bad humour. Ones gets so stressed out about it too, and for what?

The only things that really get on my nerves are when other people start getting road rage, peoples' inability to indicate at roundabouts but most of all when you do someone a favour and you don't get acknowledged for it e.g. if the obstruction if on the opposite side and you pull in because you see a car coming and people just keep going even though they're completely wrong without any acknowledgement.

Oh and I forgot, I hate when people don't go into yellow boxes for right turns as you're allowed to(provided you don't block other road users), or worse still when you can see people looking at you as if you're wrong for going in even though you most certainly can go in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

Fog lights when there is no fog.

I have noticed this a lot lately, especialln new cars - beemers, mercs, and ??? 4x4's for town???.

You have to turn your lights on, then turn the fog lights on, so you have to know they are on. Why?? :confused::confused:

I have also noticed that some people turn their park lights on, just so that they can turn their fog lights on. Why??? :confused::confused:

Fog lights are to be used when there is fog. Simple as.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

i hate most people on the roads... namely people on the roads 2 years plus who make mistakes but make up for them ten-fold with excuses and " stfu you silly c*** im driving years, i know the law "...

makes me piss my pants laughing more then honda drivers. C'mon guys.... Get a bit of cop-on, don't be a f****** sheep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Cionád wrote: »
    I've given up that battle. They will never learn.

I've found a great way to piss them off, use a roundabout properly!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

P.C. wrote: »
    Fog lights when there is no fog.

I have noticed this a lot lately, especialln new cars - beemers, mercs, and ??? 4x4's for town???.

You have to turn your lights on, then turn the fog lights on, so you have to know they are on. Why?? :confused::confused:
    +1

Maybe because then everyone else won't appreciate how cool the car looked like in the marketing adverts/forecourt ad or on carzone?

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭D_murph

People with their doors not fully closed.

i agree with the rest of them BTW but this one stuck out a bit because i have seen it so many times :rolleyes:

how can anyone be driving at 60MPH on a dual carriageway with their drivers door not closed properly FFS?????

even in you have the door light turned off (darker weather/time of year excuse), surely you should be able to hear the sound a half opened door makes at even half this speed :rolleyes:.

says a lot for situational awareness of some "drivers" :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

I heard some where that if you have your dips on you are 33% less likely to be involved in a collison. I dont know why people say they are dazzled by dipped lights during the day!Maybe if ur driving an extremely low car and a Range Rover pulls up behind you or something but if your distracted by normal dips in a normal car then i dont think you are fit to drive as you are distracted far too easly!

1.Whats extremely annoying is (people from cork will know) if your passing the entrance to Merchants Quay car park there are 4 lanes and all curl to the left to form 3 (the forth lane ends). This is all clearly marked by broken white lines yet people are oblivious to the direction of the lanes and just continue straight ahead. Sometimes i just theink people dont watch the actual road and just look at the horizon! it infuriates me.

2.People not giving a salute after the kind gesture of giving way. all it takes is a flash or a wave. NOT HARD!!!!!!

3. People Driving with their rear fog lights on when they are in traffic (even if its foggy if your in traffic they should be OFF)

4. Tailgaters

5. People who are oblivious to the fact that their indicator is on. I once drove from Cork to Dublin and from the end of the M8 to the start of the Mitchelstown Bypass they had their indicator on. Low and behold a woman driver...

Im going to stop now. i can feel my blood presure rising :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

Hogzy wrote: »

2.People not giving a salute after the kind gesture of giving way. all it takes is a flash or a wave. NOT HARD!!!!!!

Back when I was getting driving lessons, I did this once. Needless to say, to my suprise, I soon learned you are not to gesture other drivers. Believe it or not, it is the inncorect thing to do! But its not like it stopped me gesturing other drivers.

My biggest hate about other drivers are not the ones that fly down an open bus lane in peak traffic - but the idiots that let them back in at the end of the bus lane :mad::mad: At times, I really wish I could be a garda for just one day to sit at some of the buslanes I drive by every day and catch the feckers that do it. Why should I sit in traffic and you be allowed to fly down the buslanes. It should be no buslanes or patrol buslanes strictly, That'll stop them!

*rant over*

HungryJoey wrote: »
    Back when I was getting driving lessons, I did this once. Needless to say, to my suprise, I soon learned you are not to gesture other drivers. Believe it or not, it is the inncorect thing to do! But its not like it stopped me gesturing other drivers.

My biggest hate about other drivers are not the ones that fly down an open bus lane in peak traffic - but the idiots that let them back in at the end of the bus lane :mad::mad: At times, I really wish I could be a garda for just one day to sit at some of the buslanes I drive by every day and catch the feckers that do it. Why should I sit in traffic and you be allowed to fly down the buslanes. It should be no buslanes or patrol buslanes strictly, That'll stop them!

*rant over*

As I drag my GF down the stairs to read this................ She thinks Im the only person who wants to be traffic corps for one day to sit on my favourite roundabouts in Limerick and catch people breaking the rules just so they can jump 20 cars. Im not alone.

The Roundabout at the Parkway shopping centre at rush hour(leaving in that direction in 5 minutes). The 3 rd exit towards the city centre must be approached in the right lane. Some people leave around 1.5ks back and arrive onto it from the side and use the inner orbital lane. Annoying but legal because they fill the roundabout in seconds and we are all left waiting for their good grace to get onto the roundabout.

Its the F**KWITS whom drive up the lane marked shopping only and then cut right into the lane. I dont go out of my way to block them like others which are doing it very dangerously.

Some people keep jumping the clutch to hug the back bumper of the car in front. If I was the car in front I would go back and punch the driver for riding the back of my car. They are trying to prevent the driver getting in.

Its a pet Peev of mine that there roundabout.

I also want to hire a foreign national on a Sunday on the Dublin road in Limerick to point at the sign on the bus lane telling people ITS NOT A BUS LANE TODAY, PLEASE DRIVE IN IT. WHEN THE BUS LANE IS CLOSED YOU MUST DRIVE ON THE LEFT(I.E IN THE BUS LANE) BECAUSE THE NORMAL LANE NOW BECOMES AND OVERTAKING LANE. Excuse the high caps. The amount of time people block me from travelling in the left lane on a Sunday is incredible.

Bearing in mind, some people will make mistakes because they are not from the area. Around the same roundabout there is a lot of singage and can become confusing. I used to think my old MN reg and my new LH reg could get me away with murder but I recently found out that most people do not know what the details of their registrations actually mean.

A Garda told me his drink driver question when he comes up to your window at night has always been "can you call me out your registration number please". I told him mine and he said that he was pleasantly suprised I knew my reg off the top of my head. I was suprised and said "of course, doesnt everbody". He said a lot of men will but Women will never know it(most of the time). One woman asked could she phone her husband but the Garda said she smelt of whiskey and vomit so maybe it was better she just got out of the SUV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Bearcat

taxi drivers cutting me off and i mean cutting me off. All occassions pulling and barging on top of you in a lane where now there is no room between you and the next guy in front.....have been sliced twice on the M50 badly and at white cross by gob sh@tes in their taxis.....they love using that middle finger. all drivers were fat and middle aged. The younger taxi drivers are streets ahead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭darling.x

I'm a fairly relaxed person while driving, but things that really get to me are:
    1. tailgaters.
    2. People sitting in traffic who blocking entrances - they are going nowhere but they still block the entrances. crazy.
    3. I'm from the country. People out walking who won't keep in. They won't even keep in slightly in a ditch. It unbeleivable. I'm a learner - i might drive into you. Just keep in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

darling.x wrote: »
    3. I'm from the country. People out walking who won't keep in. They won't even keep in slightly in a ditch. It unbeleivable. I'm a learner - i might drive into you. Just keep in.

Or the morons who walk abreast of eachother AND on the wrong side of thw road (ie, with traffic, instead of against it)...I'd imagine many pedestrian deaths could be avoided if walkers knew their place on the roads, especially in rural parts...

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Flyer1

Absolute total and utter IDIOTS who drive at 75 - 80km/h on a main road and then flash you when you overtake them. They are the one's holding up traffic. Or even worse is the one's who put the shoe down when you go to overtake them - I had an idiot do that to me before, I was committed to going, the guy behind me had filled in my space.

I always drive at the speed limit if conditions permit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

*rant over*

I Hate this when driving, but especially when cycling, these prícks generally dont check their mirrors when pulling out...

A funny story I posted in the cycling forum a while back about these assholes..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭seclachi

Cyclists, I don't hate all of them, I`m all for them in cities with nice wide roads and cycle lanes where its perfectly safe (well, maybe not I`ll get on to it in a min). On irish roads in the country however they are an absolute fecking disaster, mainly on narrow twisting roads where there's barely enough room for two cars to pass.

You have to slow down and stay a few meters behind them (I`m always in the horrors they`ll get hit by a briar or loose their balance and fall off). You might not get an opportunity to pass for a couple of minutes, by which point there's a queue of cars behind you, and the first one behind you always some gob****e in a rush to the pub.

Then when you get the narrow window of oppertunity you have to accelerate from 15mph to 40 to try and get past as fast as possible before some knacker in his 92 honda with racing stripes who thinks, because some clown in the council put up a 80kph sign up on that road, that you can actually do that speed on that road.And on top of all that the cyclist always seems to wobbling as he goes up a hill just as I am passing.

When I was in Copenhagen I also found myself hating them, because as an Irish man jaywalking is in my blood, but while its easy enough to spot and a hear a car, some spindly fecker on a bike is very stealthy. So if you do jaywalk you have to watch on for one cycle lane, then a car lane, then when your halfways over the other car lane and then a cycle lane. Hence why jaywalking is a big nono over there.

Some of the cylcists over there seem to feel as they dont need a licence things like road safety or rules dont apply, I saw a few shoot straight through lights as cars were turning right through there lane, Im guessing they might have right of way, but I know if they did that in Ireland they`d get car`d in the face so bad :D.

Im probably going to get abuse by cyclists now for being an ignorant motorist, but what exactly can I do, Id be happier if every road had a cycle lane, but when you cant even pass another car on some irish roads I think it might a bit much to ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Back when I was getting driving lessons, I did this once. Needless to say, to my suprise, I soon learned you are not to gesture other drivers. Believe it or not, it is the inncorect thing to do!
    It's perfectly ok to make a small gesture of thanks but you should never beckon another driver. Most people do it thinking that they are being courteous but they don't ensure that it is safe to do so.

I rarely beckon others. I often leave a gap and avoid eye contact with the other driver. In this way they can make their own decision and be responsible for their safety and the safety of others.

I don't understand the annoyance some have at not being 'thanked'. I'd prefer the other driver to concentrate on what they are doing.
    HungryJoey wrote:
    My biggest hate about other drivers are not the ones that fly down an open bus lane in peak traffic - but the idiots that let them back in at the end of the bus lane :mad::mad:
    If they shouldn't be on the bus lane, wouldn't it be appropriate to allow them off it. It's a bit contradictory to complain about it and then prevent them from leaving it. I'd prefer to put safety first rather than worrying that someone has skipped a few cars.

You should be more philisophical about it. Would your day any better because no one has allowed any cars in off the bus lane? Hardly. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,321 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I am a miserable F**K!
    Agreed. :D

Not your ornery onager

esel wrote: »
    Agreed. :D

Victor Meldrew watch out, here I come.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

Hogzy wrote: »
    3. People Driving with their rear fog lights on when they are in traffic (even if its foggy if your in traffic they should be OFF)

I do this - to people who come up behind me on a nice bright day with thier fog lights on. I then turn on my rear fog lights to try and politely let them know they have 'accidently' put on their fog lights. Never works. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

I used to get really stressed out when driving but now I try to take a deep breath and let it go. There are two things that really annoy me still though. Actually make that 3.

1. Tailgaters. Just **** off. There is no way to be polite about it. I was driving from on a country road last Sunday night. It was twisty but has a number of good stretchs for overtaking. This Hicace is absolutely up my arse on the twisty bits but when ever he had choice to overtake he pulled about 4 car lengths back from me. In the end I got so nervous I pulled in, but I just didn't get his logic. Absolute idiot.

2. When I'm first in a string stuck behind something really slow like a tractor and am clearly trying to get past it but the person behind me keeps pulling out as well to try and overtake the two of us even though I am clearly going to go the first chance I get.

3. Very very slow moving traffic like lorries, tractors etc. that will not pull in to let the string of traffic behind them past even when there is ample space to do so. It's just ignorant.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

The Roundabout at the Parkway shopping centre at rush hour(leaving in that direction in 5 minutes). The 3 rd exit towards the ci

Lol as i was reading the first few lines of your post i was thinking, Parkway, Parkway, Parkway!! :D

Ok my stresses.

Horns, i hate them, i never use mine. There's something i've always hated about them.

People pullin out infront of classic cars, because they think every ****ing classic can only do 10 miles an hours. I pity the fool who pulls out some day in his tin can, and gets a slap of tens tonnes of 60's finest lol!

People not using lanes correctly, and then blasting you for using them correclty, ie. Parkway roundabout.

Anyone who has limo tint on their sh1tty cars, and the springs of the seat taken out, and the seat as low as it can go.

Old women in Micra's.... Bahhh!!! Get off the road!

Enough said, i'm too much of a calm and easy going driver to say anymore:P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭pyramuid man

what annoys me most are drivers on the opposide who are waiting to turn right, dont check that the road they are turning onto is clear and stop blocking the other lane of traffic. happened to my OH last night (was in the car with her). going through a small village and she was obeying the speed limit, car on opposite side was turning right into a car park. in the car park a car was reversing out of a space and blocked the entrance to the carpark. so the car turning right pulled across the road in front of us and stopped, forcing us to break suddenly, stop dead on the road and my gf to sit on the horn!!!! FFS she could have looked before she turned and then waited until the reversing car had moved instead of nearly causing an accident.

also people who dont know what a yellow box is for!!!

oh and merc drivers who think they own the roads!!! was driving the M7 recently and one of the lanes was closed causing a tailback. a lorry had come to the end of the slip road on my left and was waiting to get into the lane. traffic in front started to move and i stopped, planning on letting the lorry in front of me. merc driver behind sat on the horn, wanting me to move on and not let the lorry in!!! WTF was his problem!!!! so i put the car into reverse and revved the car, giving the merc driver (who though i was going to reverse into him) the fright of his life and then let the lorry in. sweet!!! let another lorry in further down the road and he didnt dare beep me!!! imagine someone beeping you for being polite and courtious on the road!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

Wimmin

Advertisement