Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What stresses you out about driving.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭PattheMetaller

1.Joggers who don't check before they hop off the footpath onto the road as they don't want to lose their momentum: hey you might lose more than your momentum idiot:p

2. Cyclists who think they own the road. Saw one one day enter a roundabout via the exit, scoot around the roundabout in the right direction scaring the **** out of the driver who he came along side:eek:.

3. Cutting lanes on roundabouts

4. Tailgating

5. Improper use of indicators

6. Taxis who generally think they own the road

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Cyclist's with no lights, and jihads on the south circular road who cross without any consideration for oncoming traffic. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

1.Joggers who don't check before they hop off the footpath onto the road as they don't want to lose their momentum: hey you might lose more than your momentum idiot:p

Two joggers nearly met their waterloo as i pulled into might estate yesterday. Didn't even look, lol,

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

ergonomics wrote: »
    3. Very very slow moving traffic like lorries, tractors etc. that will not pull in to let the string of traffic behind them past even when there is ample space to do so. It's just ignorant.
    They have no legal obligation to pull in to allow traffic to pass and some people insist that it is illegal to do so.

Spare a thought for those of us who have driven slow heavy vehicles. I usually pull in when I can and it is safe to do so but the problem with very busy roads is that no one lets you back out as they don't want a tractor and machinery in front of them especially on the roads I'm on around the Dublin area.

On some roads tree branches tend to catch large vehicles if they pull in and lamp posts and ESB poles are dangerous for high vehicles where there is a pronounced camber on the road. In rural areas many margins are soft making it dangerous to stay to the extreme left if driving heavy vehicles.

Another difficulty is when I wish to turn right ahead. I have my indicator on trying to move towards the centre but all the blinkered 'me me me' car drivers just continue to overtake totally oblivious of my intentions and their safety and mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

They have no legal obligation to pull in to allow traffic to pass and some people insist that it is illegal to do so.

Spare a thought for those of us who have driven slow heavy vehicles. I usually pull in when I can and it is safe to do so

Slow heavy vehicles going 80km/h is one thing and I'll happily plough along after them and get by if I can, but I meant vehicles going 50km/h or less, normally tractors. I think it is inconsiderate for them to not let people pass. I should have been more specific. I was behind a lorry going to Tipp the other day. They obviously didn't know the road so I gave them an allowance for that but on some bends they slowed down to below 10km/h and never reached a top speed of 50km/h. He passed many places to pull in but continued on. If they didn't know the road or were lost everyone else shouldn't have had to be held up because of it.
    On some roads tree branches tend to catch large vehicles if they pull in and lamp posts and ESB poles are dangerous for high vehicles where there is a pronounced camber on the road. In rural areas many margins are soft making it dangerous to stay to the extreme left if driving heavy vehicles.

I'm not completely inconsiderate. I don't expect drivers to pull in willy-nilly just to accommodate me, but when someone is crawling along a rural road and they pass one, two, even three lay-bys but continue crawling along, well that annoys me.
    Another difficulty is when I wish to turn right ahead. I have my indicator on trying to move towards the centre but all the blinkered 'me me me' car drivers just continue to overtake totally oblivious of my intentions and their safety and mine.

If I'm driving behind a slow moving vehicle, or approaching a vehicle in the hard shoulder then I constantly watch their indicators and also the road ahead to see if they might be turning off, or pulling out of the hard shoulder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,321 ✭✭✭✭Esel

6. Taxis, who generally think they own the road
    Fixed that for you.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭salamander27

Long lines of tail-gaters stuck behind the nissan tida who seems to unable to overtake the 35mph lorry/tractor-trailer that is already driving in the hard shoulder. How wide do you think your car is!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No wonder you see reps in bmws passing multitudes of cars, busses, trucks etc, and at the end risking at the heat of the moment, passing the last three cars around the bend. Shure is'nt he on a roll!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

On the motorway, #1 annoyance would be drivers who don't maintain a constant speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

On the motorway, #1 annoyance would be drivers who don't maintain a constant speed.

Not everyone has cruise control:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Damien360

Not everyone has cruise control:D

It is simple driving technique to press the accelerator harder while climbing a hill to maintain constant speed. I remember being taught this many years ago by my driving instructor. Very few people seem to understand this and to top it off, they sit in the outside lane of the motorway telling themselves they are going fast so theresfore have no reason to be in the "slow lane".

Rant over...for now

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

1: Cars that are in the right lane approaching a roundabout and turn onto left road, f**king shocking.

2: Claregalway - I dont even have to explain!!!!:pac:

3: Some cars that put full headlights on during the night after you have overtaken them. Blinding the hell out of me.

4: Idiots that stay on the outside lane of a dual carrigeway and dont know how to use basic driving skills on it.

5: The N18- there will always be a driver on it that doesnt do the speed limit and the surface of gort gives me headaches!!!

6: Pedestrian crossing at roundabouts in Limerick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

The complete moron on the M1 at the border this afternoon, in her Mini with her L plate and long blonde hair who decides to overtake a slower moving vehicle without a glance behind where there were 4 cars doing a substantially greater speed and already overtaking both her and the car in front of her (I was on the inside lane, just accelerating up to join them)...cue lots of brake lights lighting up, horns going and tbh I don't know how she didn't get pitbulled....she then stays out in the overtaking lane at her pedestrian 110km/h until the lead car has enough and decides to undertake her (a brave move considering her lack of awareness of what's behind her).
    This kind of thing stresses me out no end/...why is it nearly always women? I don't like being sexist about it but it's true...

Oh yeah, also on the M1 at Dunleer last thursday morning, another female driver, this time an elderly one, who had been parked up on the hard shoulder decided to join the traffic flow again...only trouble is she doesn't build her speed on the HS first, instead opting to just indictate and barrel out into the inside lane in 2nd gear. I was on the inside lane also, doing the limit, with the usual gaggle of cars in the overtaking lane blocking me from moving out...instead I had to nearly stand on the brakes (and the horn lol) drop it to 3rd and manage to squeeze into a gap in the overtaking train. It's as well it wasn't raining or I don't think I'd be here to tell about it.
    Ironically there were 2 TC marked cars on the Dundalk to Drogheda stretch that morning...both parked up waiting for speeders....perhaps if they actually did some driving they'd see and maybe even deter some of this muppetry that is so much more dangerous than cars doing 140km/h.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

tech2 wrote: »
    1: Cars that are in the right lane approaching a roundabout and turn onto left road, f**king shocking.

I take it you drive in Galway a lot so by your other reference to Clare Galway(horrible place with that damned T-Junction.

Anyway, Galway is the worst place I have even been for roundabout antics. They do not indicate when going around the roundabout. i.e taking the third exit, going right. They never indicate EVER. Im sitting like a knob waiting to see do they keep coming around holding up myself and everybody behind me when they simply leave at their exit and then and only then can I proceed.

Usually at the G Hotel roundabout!

And Why oh Why are the roads in Galway so damn slippy? I have driven those roads in little vans with thin tyres, rigid trucks with loads of tyres, sporty cars with wide tyres and normal car with normal tyres but rain its a nightmare and dry its still slippy.

Knocknacarra area is the worst!!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Thank God somebody else noticed. I felt like a right tit with the amount of wheelspin and slippery slides I got when I first moved up to Galway.

Thank God somebody else noticed. I felt like a right tit with the amount of wheelspin and slippery slides I got when I first moved up to Galway.

I knew something was nearly "normal" about it when I spun out in my car outside the Clybaun in Knocknacarra and the bus driver and other drivers didnt bat an eyelid. I did a full 180 in the wet at around 20kph whilst accelerating mildly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Teacherman

Idiots, who weave in and out of traffic on M50 without indicating. Cars that speed up, as you are moving into their lane(after indicating two or three clicks) and then flash their lights at you when you do. Cars that tailgate are the worst. At times I put on my hazard lights to frighten them or brake a little -both are probably not good ideas, but they sometime require a lesson in reaction times.:mad:

Teacherman wrote: »
    Idiots, who weave in and out of traffic on M50 without indicating. Cars that speed up, as you are moving into their lane and then flash their lights at you when you do. Cars that tailgate are the worst. At times I put on my hazard lights to frighten them or brake a little -both are probably not good ideas, but they sometime require a lesson in reaction times.:mad:

Tapping the brakes to light up your brakelights is encouraged by Hibernian Insurance the UK advanced driving school they use for their ignition test.

I did this test 5-6 years ago and couldnt believe it when they said it. Im glad it was suggested by the pro's because it really makes drivers back off when I do it.

I dont notice tailgaters as much anymore as I did years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

I take it you drive in Galway a lot so by your other reference to Clare Galway(horrible place with that damned T-Junction.!

Nope I come from the N18 side but I know its bad for people coming from tuam everyday because I go to sligo most wknds from limerick.

Its the worst bottleneck of the whole journey coming up and also going back down. If anyone knows a good way of getting around this place on the way to sligo can they mail me thanks!!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

Tapping the brakes to light up your brakelights is encouraged by Hibernian Insurance the UK advanced driving school they use for their ignition test.I did this test 5-6 years ago and couldnt believe it when they said it.
    I only do it when I am slowing down, that is, activating the brake lights (initially without engaging the brakes) as I slow until I'm going slow enough to use gears & brakes as needed. That's what my instructor taught me 20 years ago.

But there seems to be a difference of opinion here about what 'tapping the breaklights' means. I think some take it to mean 'giving a tailgater a fright'.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

I'm not long on the road but for someone who's temper is usually calm I suffer severe road rage :D

Unlike most here I hate lights on on a bright 12am day. I can see your car fine stop trying to blind me.

All of the usual other gripes, though my pet peeve is people waiting to see if the traffic light does come in different shades of green :mad::mad: FFS watch the other set, when they go red be prepared to take off.

As a less other-driver orrientated irritation would be hedges and such nature crap on sharp country road corners so I can't see if anything else is coming the other way on this wonderful pot holed filled road wide enough to barely fit two peels (tiny car) side by side.

• Advertisement

tech2 wrote: »
    Nope I come from the N18 side but I know its bad for people coming from tuam everyday because I go to sligo most wknds from limerick.

Its the worst bottleneck of the whole journey coming up and also going back down. If anyone knows a good way of getting around this place on the way to sligo can they mail me thanks!!!:D

At the carnmore turn for the airport(claregalway straight on), turn right and follow this until you see a sign for Grange and when around Grange you will see another sign for Turloughmore. From Turloughmore, follow signs back to Galway and you will hit the N18 after Claregalway on the Tuam side. Ok its adds about 15kms to your trip but your not sitting in all the traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Tapping the brakes to light up your brakelights is encouraged by Hibernian Insurance the UK advanced driving school they use for their ignition test.

I did this test 5-6 years ago and couldnt believe it when they said it. Im glad it was suggested by the pro's because it really makes drivers back off when I
    That's absolutely crazy, are you sure it wasn't just your particular tester? It doesn't matter if God himself encourages it, common sense still says it's dangerous. Hazard lights do the same job with far less danger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 tmulcahy365

The number of business people in exec cars who can't afford a handsfree kit.

The guy in the BMW X5 reversing off the busiest roundabout in Letterkenny at around 6pm on Saturday. Even if your engine has gone through the bonnet DO NOT GO BACKWARDS ON A ROUNDABOUT.

The person I met driving the wrong way down a dual carriageway...
    And the person reversing back the motorway hard shoulder because they missed their turn-off

****e road markings, really really hate these.
    Badly designed roundabouts, some of these are death-traps for people who've not been on them before.

Drivers using just spot lights and side lights.
    The number of cars with no working brake lights or only the high level brake light working.

Texting while driving.
    Merc in front braked and indicated to turn left.
    Oncoming traffic, so I brake gently and glance in rearview mirror to see girl lose control of silver audi A3 and after much frantic arm work she managed to avoid ploughing into me. Of course she finished her text afterwards while wandering into the hard shoulder. (LOLZ OMG I like almost ploughed into the back of a car while writing this txt. etc)

People who can't drive in snow. First gear and 6000rpm is not the answer.

People who tailgate on the M50/M1, with their brake lights coming on every 2 secs. Keep some distance and use engine braking if you have it.

Cars with knackered tyres, traffic wardens should be made to keep an eye out for them.

Roads that use too many roundabouts instead of proper flyover roundabout combinations, especially all those for town bypasses.
    If you use the Monaghan bypass you will know what I mean.

Road that has no camber on bends, usually its curving sliproads, fairly rare though.

The rare Dublin bus driver that's a Jerk and pulls off just as you are about to overtake, most of them are fine and signal in time so I can leave them out.

Large groups of cyclists, why don't they break into small groups less than the length of a truck..

Joggers listening to headphones who really have no idea what's going on around em. Holding your arm up in the air while jogging across the road in front of me will not save you.

Pedestrians who cross the road in front of me in my blind spot as I try to pull out onto a busy road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭jamesO

People who don't know the rules of the road, like not taking your place in a yellow box when turning onto a new road.

jO-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Anan1 wrote: »
    That's absolutely crazy, are you sure it wasn't just your particular tester? It doesn't matter if God himself encourages it, common sense still says it's dangerous. Hazard lights do the same job with far less danger.

x2. Agreed 100%....We had a discussion some time ago about this on here, Cyclopath2001, if I remember correctly favoured doing a Michael Flatley on the brake pedal as opposed to hitting the Hazards in the event of a hazard/braking emergency :rolleyes:. After which some utter nonsense was spewed about using your hazards for this purpose was against the law.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::eek:

What a load of HORSESH!T

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

x2. Agreed 100%....We had a discussion some time ago about this on here, Cyclopath2001, if I remember correctly favoured doing a Michael Flatley on the brake pedal as opposed to hitting the Hazards in the event of a hazard/braking emergency :rolleyes:. After which some utter nonsense was spewed about using your hazards for this purpose was against the law.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::eek:

What a load of HORSESH!T

well, I had these on my last bike (motor-, that is.....not that pedal mullarkey......) I have a set left over, and was thinking about putting them on the car........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

galwaytt wrote: »
    well, I had these on my last bike (motor-, that is.....not that pedal mullarkey......) I have a set left over, and was thinking about putting them on the car........

Nice:D....The hazards might be an easier option ! I seem to remember hearing something about Mercedes adding some sort of strobing function on the brake lights when it detected hard braking.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭salamander27

I think what was meant by tapping the brake was actually to feather the brake pedal, ie. just barely push it so that the brake lights come on but you don't actually slow down as you are not applying enough pressure.
    Doesn't always deter the tailgater.
    I find doing something completely random (maybe a combination of flash the hazards, touch the brakes, swerve a little left and right) gets them thinking they shouldn't be so close to the mad man in front!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭reggiethefirst

Women, more specifically
    women in Range Rovers,
    Women in Range Rovers who don't know how a yellow box works.
    Was in the yellow box waiting to turn right, like I'm allowed as I wasn't obstructing traffic, she was on the street to my left, indicating right to pull onto the street I was pulling off of. She then proceeds to ignore the fact that I have right of way, I had just started moving off, she trys to pull around me despite the fact I was turning and two objects cannot occupy the same space at the same time. Jams on the brakes, lays on the horn starts shouting as if I was in the wrong because i had an L on my windscreen.

• Advertisement

Anan1 wrote: »

No it wasnt the particular tester because she was **** anyway driving her hackney(by night), tester car by day. Even though you could only get insured up to a 1.4 she took us out in a 1.9 diesel golf estate with 260K miles on the clock and filthy.

It was the English person in the seminar room whom told the entire group in tandem whilst also using slides.

Like somebody said after this its to "feather" the brake.

Advertisement