Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What stresses you out about driving.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

Catseyes, Catseyes, Catseyes....I really cannot comprehend why there is roads...busy roads where you need to guess the clearance between the hedge, your car and the other side of the road. I get especially stressed when I come off the n7 into Mounthrath as from then on you need to raise your alertness and concentrate hard on the road (this is all at night btw!!!). I've had some horrid trips down with rain lashing the windshield,oncoming lorry after lorry thundering by all the while trying to maintain a constant speed with compete ar$es overtaking at will. I feel lucky that I'm a confident and calm driver but even a road light every 500 yards would at least give you a reference point but there is neither that, catseyes or anything to aid a driver at night.

I always find it amusing when a road is resurfaced, looks all lovely shiny and new and does not recieve its markings for a year and at that not always with catseyes or junction reflectors.

Personally I would take a bad road with good markings then vice versa.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Like somebody said after this its to "feather" the brake.
    Still appalling advice. If you were in a little world of your own, driving right up someones @rse at 100km/h and their brake lights came on, what would your reaction be? For many tailgaters it'd be:

1. Panic braking

followed by (assuming the above hadn't caused an accident)

2. Anger

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Tomohawk wrote: »
    Tossers driving in the buslane illegally while the rest of us wait in traffic. They are usually twats in '08 mercs and beemers. *****.

Whats worse tho, is the tools who let them back into the regular lanes of traffic further up the road. :mad:

I dont see the big deal about tapping the brakes. If the person behind is following at a safe distance there should be no problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Irishjack32

Well it looks like the roads will be a little bit less clogged with tractors, hopefully they will all be at home paying homage to their tractors... has anybody else seen this...LMAO

http://www.youtractor.com

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Anan1 wrote: »
    Still appalling advice. If you were in a little world of your own, driving right up someones @rse at 100km/h and their brake lights came on, what would your reaction be? For many tailgaters it'd be:

1. Panic braking

followed by (assuming the above hadn't caused an accident)

2. Anger

**** the tailgaters. Let them panic brake and smash into a wall IMO.
    As said, feathering the brakes is not going to cause an accident. Its the minimal amount of pressure required to get the lights to come on.
    If idiots who can't drive want to drive 3 inches from yer arse then whatever happens to them is entirely their own fault surely!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

As said, feathering the brakes is not going to cause an accident.
    I really don't know where to start with this. Have you ever actually driven a car?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

I really don't know where to start with this. Have you ever actually driven a car?

Ah the spillover from the motors forum.
    Work away with the pedantry please. Enlighten us all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Whether we press the brake to drop the hint or press the brake for slowing traffic ahead, either way the response from the guy up my rear end will be the same - to also slow. The pressing of the brakes is only a problem because of the tailgaiter. I have done it in the past to drop the hint. They usually see the hint, then drop back without further problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

People who refuse to pull into the left and slow down when I am driving with lights and sirens. So many people do not know what to do and then they panic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

The rare Dublin bus driver that's a Jerk and pulls off just as you are about to overtake, most of them are fine and signal in time so I can leave them out.

A lot of people don't know this, but if a bus indicates to pull out, then they have the right of way and you must leave them pull out.

This is only for buses, and indicating like this for everyone else does NOT give them the right of way and you are under no obligation whatsoever to leave them pull out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

I'm not stressed by ordinary idiots and psychos, but the "polite" driver still gets me.

This is the idiot who brakes suddenly in front of me while driving on a main road in order to let someone out of a side road. Or stops and waves pedestrians out without knowing that the other lanes are safe to cross. Or dives into the ditch on a windy stretch of solid-white-lined road to encourage me to pass on a blind bend.

Drive your own damn car, follow the rules, and let other people drive theirs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭*Dallas

Was on the m50 yesterday from blanch - finglas about 7pm the entire overtaking lane was full, so i stayed in the left lane. every 5-6 seconds everyone in the right lane would jam on their brakes cause they were so far up each others arses.. i had a great time laughin at the sheer stupidness

* parents dropping kids to/from school - give the kids an umberella ffs

* idiots who tailgate

* idiots who sit in the overtaking lane on m50/n3 knowing there is traffic behind them yet refusing to move. i hate doing it, but i will have to flash them

* people who don't use indicators

* people who drive SUV's in the city that dont have a spec of dirt on them! IMO i think you should need some sort of commercial licence to own one of these. from what i can see its a total superiority complex 'i own the road casue my car's bigger then your' :mad:

rant over..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

people who dont indicate when they are going around roundabouts!! Especially if they are in the wrong lane and not indicating!!!!!

But i suppose that stresses everyone out. Another thing that really gets on my nerves is when people barge out in front of you so you have to give way to them, I understand sometimes people can be sitting somewhere for ages waiting to be let out, but you cant justify edging your way out so far that youre causing an obstruction and people have to let you out. There is being assertive, and there is being an idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

*Dallas wrote: »
    * parents dropping kids to/from school - give the kids an umberella ffs

I drive my kids (1 in junior and 1 in senior infants) to school - it's a 15 minute drive.

If that stresses you out - too bad.:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Vixen Sexlectra

I can drive.. but I freak out at roundabouts and parking
    (I know I such a woman!!) ha

Ah sure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 tmulcahy365

E92 wrote: »
    A lot of people don't know this, but if a bus indicates to pull out, then they have the right of way and you must leave them pull out.

This is only for buses, and indicating like this for everyone else does NOT give them the right of way and you are under no obligation whatsoever to leave them pull out.

Yeah I'm fully aware of that,
    I'm talking about the ones that put their foot down and signal to pull out when I'm 2 feet from the rear of the bus and have already pulled out to overtake. I don't want to be the meat in a bus truck/car/[oncoming traffic] sandwich.

Thankfully it happens much less of late.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

There's a lot of rage in this thread. Allow me to add some of my own...

- People who won't drive at the speed limit when conditions allow. This seems to be a particular problem on the N81. Hordes of people all driving at 80kmh. Strangely enough, they all seem to drive at 80kmh regardless of whether they're in a 50, 60 or 100 zone...

- People who don't know how to drive down a steep hill. That smell is your brake pads melting because you haven't taken your foot off it for the past 300m...

- People who think it's ok to put their full-beams on once you're more than 20m ahead of them on a straight road. If you can see my rear lights, I can see (and be blinded by) your brights.

- People who slam on the brakes the second they see a squad car, despite the fact that they were already doing 10kmh below the limit.

- Speeder-uppers - you know the ones who brake at even the gentlest bends on a road, then take off the second they hit a straight stretch.

- The farmer near Brittas who feels the need to walk his cows across and 500m down the N81 at 7.30am and 5.10pm EVERY SINGLE DAY!!! Jesus Christ, could you possibly pick a more braindead time of day to do this?

- People who almost kill themselves pulling out in front of you, then potter along at 60mkh.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

E92 wrote: »
    A lot of people don't know this, but if a bus indicates to pull out, then they have the right of way and you must leave them pull out
    I'd say a lot of people don't know it because it isn't true!

Bus drivers are subjected to the same rules and regulations as other road users.
    Zube wrote: »
    I'm not stressed by ordinary idiots and psychos, but the "polite" driver still gets me.

This is the idiot who brakes suddenly in front of me while driving on a main road in order to let someone out of a side road. Or stops and waves pedestrians out without knowing that the other lanes are safe to cross. Or dives into the ditch on a windy stretch of solid-white-lined road to encourage me to pass on a blind bend.

Drive your own damn car, follow the rules, and let other people drive theirs!
    100% agree!

This country is full of the "I'm a courteous driver" types who think they are doing everyone a favour when they are nothing but a nusiance on our roads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭*Dallas

T-Maxx wrote: »
    I drive my kids (1 in junior and 1 in senior infants) to school - it's a 15 minute drive.

If that stresses you out - too bad.:cool:

on a public thread am i not entitled to my opinion?

i used to have a laugh walking to/from school with my friends and that was a good 30 min walk. maybe thats the issue here, your such a pushy parent your kids have no friends to walk to school with :p

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭andrewh5

Here we go:
    Taking 10 seconds to pull away from the line at traffic lights - haven't you heard of putting the thing in first and keeping the clutch down???

No indications at roundabouts.

Going all the way around the roundabout in the LEFT lane!!!!!!!

Taking forever to accelerate away from junctions, lights etc.

Front fog lights being used when it isn't foggy or snowing - It's illegal!!!!

No lane discipline!!!!!

Bloody SUVs - you don't need them!!!!

Parking at an angle in a parking space. If you can't reverse park you shouldn't be driving!

Learners blatantly disobeying the new laws regarding being unaccompanied - you are so easy to spot it is untrue!

Having driven here, the UK, France, Belgium, Holland, Cyprus and the USA, I have to say that the general standard of driving here is appalling.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Honey-ec wrote: »
    - People who don't know how to drive down a steep hill. That smell is your brake pads melting because you haven't taken your foot off it for the past 300m...
    Modern brakes are well up to the task, unless the hill is 10 miles long! 2 miles of constant light braking to control downhill speed wouldn't toast brakes of anything built in the ast 15 years, never mind 300 metres!
    - The farmer near Brittas who feels the need to walk his cows across and 500m down the N81 at 7.30am and 5.10pm EVERY SINGLE DAY!!! Jesus Christ, could you possibly pick a more braindead time of day to do this?
    Not much of a choice. You can't leave dairy cattle long at all without milking them.
    - People who almost kill themselves pulling out in front of you, then potter along at 60mkh.

That drives me cuckoo... plebs!

TheNog wrote: »
    People who refuse to pull into the left and slow down when I am driving with lights and sirens. So many people do not know what to do and then they panic.

and those whose first reaction is to hit the brakes :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

andrewh5 wrote: »
    Here we go:

Going all the way around the roundabout in the INSIDE lane!!!!!!!

Thats what the inner orbital lane is for. The outer orbital lane is for taking the 1st or second exit. The inner orbital lane is for the 3rd or 4th exit( on a standard 4 point roundabout).

Fact: As a former Civil Engineer on NRA roads

Thats what the inner orbital lane is for. The outer orbital lane is for taking the 1st or second exit. The inner orbital lane is for the 3rd or 4th exit( on a standard 4 point roundabout).

Fact: As a former Civil Engineer on NRA roads

Inside to me is the RIGHT HAND LANE!

and those whose first reaction is to hit the brakes :D

Or people who don't realise that the best reaction to an ambulance approaching from behind would actually be to drive forward another 200 metres where there is place to pull in. No, they just blindly stop, and probably close their eyes till it all goes away.
    Or people who almost drive up on the kerb to avoid an ambulance on a wide road coming from the other side who already has piles of room.

Inside to me is the RIGHT HAND LANE!

Yes, the one closest to the centre of the roundabout - ie the one you should use to go all the way around it.

Biro wrote: »
    Yes, the one closest to the centre of the roundabout - ie the one you should use to go all the way around it.

Then I meant drivers who go all the way around in the left hand lane. I see at least 4 drivers a week do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Then I meant drivers who go all the way around in the left hand lane. I see at least 4 drivers a week do it.

A pet hate of mine...

Example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbXLbrxhIaw

It's chronic alright. Also bugs the crap out of me when they approach in the left lane to go straight ahead (ie the 2nd exit, or 12 o'clock), which is fine, I approach in the right lane beside them to turn right, and they proceed to blindly drive straight at their exit, crossing the inside lane completely on their way. I always beep, but they're probably baffled as to what they've done. I need to buy a €200 barge and just hold my ground and let them sqeese against me so they'll have to pay for their lesson. Guaranteed they'd never make that mistake again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Left hand lane = inside

Right hand lane = outside

Hence the admonition never to overtake on the inside.

That's what I was always taught. Perhaps Wishbone Ash could clarify this one. It might actually explain why so many people haven't got a clue how to use a roundabout if they're confusing the inside and outside lanes.

Advertisement