Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What stresses you out about driving.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Honey-ec wrote: »
    Left hand lane = inside

Right hand lane = outside

Hence the admonition never to overtake on the inside.

That's what I was always taught. Perhaps Wishbone Ash could clarify this one. It might actually explain why so many people haven't got a clue how to use a roundabout if they're confusing the inside and outside lanes.

When looking at a CD, where would you consider the inside and where the outisde?

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭andrewh5

Left hand lane = inside

That's what I was always taught. Perhaps Wishbone Ash could clarify this one. It might actually explain why so many people haven't got a clue how to use a roundabout if they're confusing the inside and outside lanes.

I think it goes far deeper than that. I think it is because a great many 'drivers' here have never had a proper driving lesson in their life. Teaching by qualified driving instructors only should be mandatory not optional. In Germany no-one can accompany an unqualified driver except a fully qualified driving instructor. Their test is a damn site harder as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

Horns, i hate them, i never use mine. There's something i've always hated about them.

Horns compulsory in cars for a reason - they are useful for alerting others to your presence: when you are in somebody's blind spot and they start to move into your lane, when pulling out at a blind junctions etc.

Of course, they are not intended a f**k you button, which seems to be the more popular interpretation.

Biro wrote: »
    When looking at a CD, where would you consider the inside and where the outisde?
    That is exactly why the UK traffic police refer to lane 1, lane 2, lane 3 etc. Lane 1 is the extreme left hand land.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

I didn't write the rules of the road mate, and distinctly remember going "but that doesn't make any sense!" when I was learning how to drive.

Unfortunately, that's the way it's designated and we all have to live with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Mr.David

Of course, they are not intended a f**k you button

But they do a dandy job of being one none the less :D

Mr.David wrote: »
    But they do a dandy job of being one none the less :D

Mine tends to be used as one more and more these days: usually when someone takes 10 seconds to pull away from traffic lights or has just cut me up on a roundabout :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

*Dallas wrote: »
    on a public thread am i not entitled to my opinion?

i used to have a laugh walking to/from school with my friends and that was a good 30 min walk. maybe thats the issue here, your such a pushy parent your kids have no friends to walk to school with :p

Of course you're allowed to your opinion. Who said you're not?

I'm glad you walked to school and enjoyed it. I walked or cycled myself.

Calling me a "pushy parent" based on a simple reply to your half-arsed comment is ridiculous though, not even to mention my kids' so-called lack of friends.

Do you even know what a junior infant is?

T-Maxx wrote: »
    Of course you're allowed to your opinion. Who said you're not?

I'm glad you walked to school and enjoyed it. I walked or cycled myself.

Calling me a "pushy parent" based on a simple reply to your half-arsed comment is ridiculous though, not even to mention my kids' so-called lack of friends.

Do you even know what a junior infant is?

I do. A lady lives near me and has 3 children. One in a buggy and 2 junior infant aged. She walks them to school every morning and back again in the afternoon. Not a short walk either. Good on her I say!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

I didn't write the rules of the road mate,

The section on roundabouts never says "inside" or "outside" lane. It says left lane and right lane when dealing with two lanes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

andrewh5 wrote: »
    She walks them to school every morning and back again in the afternoon. Not a short walk either. Good on her I say!

+1. I hate it when I see people driving somewhere that could easily be walked in a matter of minutes. What a waste of petrol not to mention the wear and tear done to the car by driving on short journeys.

Zube wrote: »
    The section on roundabouts never says "inside" or "outside" lane. It says left lane and right lane when dealing with two lanes.

I know that, I was referring to Andrewh5 and Quirke Folder's posts, where they both said they consider the right hand lane to be the inside.

Bus drivers are subjected to the same rules and regulations as other road users.

Didn't know that. I always thought that if they indicated right to pull out from a bus stop for example, that traffic behind them had to give way. Other than that anaomoly they are subject to the same rules of the road everyone else is(even though buses coming up Washington Street heading towards Cork city centre constantly switch lanes even though they know full well which lane they're supposed to be in for whatever bus route they are operating and then start using their horns whenever you don't let them move in even though they're completely wrong:(!)

Clearly my driving instructor was wrong then:D:o:o!

It might actually explain why so many people haven't got a clue how to use a roundabout if they're confusing the inside and outside lanes.

and:
    I didn't write the rules of the road mate, and distinctly remember going "but that doesn't make any sense!" when I was learning how to drive.

It certainly sounds as though you believe "inside" and "outside" mean something rules-related on roundabouts.

E92 wrote: »
    Clearly my driving instructor was wrong then:D:o:o!

The Rules may have said something like this at the time:

As a courtesy, you should let indicating buses back into the stream of traffic following setting down or picking up passengers, and you should be especially vigilant regarding pedestrian movements to and from buses, especially those of children in the vicinity of schools.

or this:
    You should allow signalling buses back into the stream of traffic after they let passengers on and off. Be especially careful of pedestrians getting on and off buses and of children near schools, and when near schools always be prepared to stop.

Oh ok then. So I was partially correct;)!

So in other words you're supposed to let buses pull out but you don't have to.

Zube wrote: »
    It certainly sounds as though you believe "inside" and "outside" mean something rules-related on roundabouts.

Sigh. I was hoping I wouldn't have to use the muliti-quote function cause I can't work it properly, but here goes - these are the posts I was replying to.
    Thats what the inner orbital lane is for. The outer orbital lane is for taking the 1st or second exit. The inner orbital lane is for the 3rd or 4th exit( on a standard 4 point roundabout).

Fact: As a former Civil Engineer on NRA roads
    andrewh5 wrote: »
    Inside to me is the RIGHT HAND LANE!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

E92 wrote: »
    Oh ok then. So I was partially correct;)!

So in other words you're supposed to let buses pull out but you don't have to.
    I would even say that 'supposed' is too strong a word! :D

Drivers are 'encouraged' to allow buses to pull out, just in the same way that we are 'encouraged' to leave the car at home and walk where possible.

(Dublin Bus buses used to have a sticker on the rear offside saying "Please let buses pull out").

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Comment regarding all the talk about roundabouts.

Bear in mind that most people in this country had their licenses prior to roundabouts existence.

Also in Kerry and Mayo the approach of a roundabout is different from every place else. You use the right hand approach for straight through(2nd exit) and right(3rd exit).

Left hand lane = inside

That's what I was always taught. Perhaps Wishbone Ash could clarify this one
    'Inside' and 'outside' are totally inappropriate terms to describe lanes.
    Honey-ec wrote:
    The correct term is 'overtaking on the left'.

Many also refer to it as 'undertaking' which just sounds so ridiculous!

• Advertisement

'Inside' and 'outside' are totally inappropriate terms to describe lanes.

The correct term is 'overtaking on the left'.

Many also refer to it as 'undertaking' which just sounds so ridiculous!

Inner Orbital and Outer Orbital. Centre Line for a 3 lane roundabout(rare enough).

Undertaking suggests illegality of passing on the left where at times It can be legal such as slow moving traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭dmca77

1: People who dont thank you fro letting them in or out ( now I never let anyone in or out) a wave thats all it takes
    2: block yellow boxes
    3: taxi drivers and bus drivers
    4: two lanes going into one, they expect you to move over when they not in correct lane
    5: rubber neckers
    6: Lorry drivers
    7: M50 PEOPLE WHO CUT IN AT LAST MINUTE WHILE OTHER COMUTERS HAVE WAITED FOR AT LEAST 50 MINS
    I could spend all day at this!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭earlyevening

Sorry if its been mentionned a million times. I havent read the thread.
    People who roll forward at red lights annoy me, especially when they're a car length over the line. It particularly galls me if they then don't move when the light actually turns green.
    Let me remind you. GREEN = GO. RED = STOP. orange i'm not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I know that this is the *don't mention it* topic - but just for one second, FOG LIGHTS. Turn the flipping things off.

Other than that, I'm fairly relaxed driving. I notice lots of stupid things (and try not to do them myself) but they usually don't bother me.

dmca77 wrote: »
    6: Lorry drivers
    It's interesting that you are 'stressed' by a segment of drivers who are one of the most qualified to be on our roads yet you don't make any mention of that category who are least qualified but cause the most problems - i.e. category B drivers! :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

People who roll forward at red lights annoy me, especially when they're a car length over the line.
    This is especially futile as it means they're no longer activating the pressure sensor that will eventually trigger the lights to change to green.
    Let me remind you. GREEN = GO. RED = STOP. orange i'm not sure.
    Oraange (i.e. amber) means stop. That's another annoyance....

This is especially futile as it means they're no longer activating the pressure sensor that will eventually trigger the lights to change to green.

Oraange (i.e. amber) means stop. That's another annoyance....

That makes me laugh. I have seen so many cars wondering why the lights are not going green fast enough so are edging forward and leave the sensor box and then the lights will never go green until a car stops behind them.

I also cannot understand why some people usually old people and women cannot stop their car at the white line, instead they stop half a car length over the white line so they have to scrunch their neck down and sideways to see the traffic light next to them.

ALSO, Why can people not read the white lines on the roads? It seems in car parks that people make up their own rules. Childers road retail park, every lane is one way so every other lane you cannot enter because traffic flows the other way. It has the solid white line with a broken white line and the whole way up the lane it has arrows YET people still drive up these looking for spaces. I tend to drive down the middle and force them to move out of my way.

This will get you all going !!!!!!!!!! (needs a few more !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Its a large junction and you and the person in front of you and yourself are coming into a T junction and turning right. The car in front turns right on green and sees the red that is controlling the other lanes and stops in the middle of the junction. Its not even their red light but they stop anyway. You and the other drivers nearly rear end each other because of this and they sit there in the middle of a yellow box waiting on a green light. My horn nearly bursts in the engine bay when this happens.

Two lane on and two lane off roundabouts are dangerous these days. You approach the roundabout in the right lane and because there is a right lane exiting you know you can use this lane(legally). You head around the inner orbital lane and indicate to exit when the person on the outer orbital lane suddenly realises they want to go around again and slice over you. Or the person coming onto the roundabout from the 1st exit presumes you are going right so drives right across in front of you.

OR, you can in the outer orbital lane and the person in the inner orbital lane slices across in front of you to exit in your lane FOR NO APPARENT REASON other than bad driving instructors telling them they MUST ALWAYS exit in the left lane which is B**LOCKS.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

Two lane on and two lane off roundabouts are dangerous these days. You approach the roundabout in the right lane and because there is a right lane exiting you know you can use this lane(legally). You head around the inner orbital lane and indicate to exit when the person on the outer orbital lane suddenly realises they want to go around again and slice over you. Or the person coming onto the roundabout from the 1st exit presumes you are going right so drives right across in front of you.

On the ringroad in Kilkenny there's a roundabout that recently had it's approach changed. Previously you could only go straight on in the left lane if carrying on along the ringroad but because traffic was getting so heavy there they changed it to you could go straight in either lane. It's signposted clearly and was mentioned in the local paper. A lot of people still have not realised this though and when you approach in the right lane they think you're trying to cheekily skip the traffic/overtake them and try and cut off off.

Was coming across the other day and there's some guy in a jeep in the left lane, me in the right lane. He looks over at me, shakes his head and turns the steering wheel sharply towards me to try and cut me off. I knew I was in the right though so I didn't budge and his face takes on a look of utter panic before he swerves back into his lane and almost loses control on his jeep. This all happened in a split second obviously.

As a woman in a Fiesta I was obviously supposed to move out of the way of his big vehicle but I was in the correct lane, as was he, and I wasn't going anywhere. Scared the life out of him when I didn't move.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

It's interesting that you are 'stressed' by a segment of drivers who are one of the most qualified to be on our roads yet you don't make any mention of that category who are least qualified but cause the most problems - i.e. category B drivers! :confused:

+1
    IMO that the average truck driver is more proficient (ofc they need to be) and more courteous than the average car driver.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭It BeeMee

- People who almost kill themselves pulling out in front of you, then potter along at 60mkh.

These are also the people that spend 20 seconds watching you approaching, then decide "yes, i have time to pull out" when you're 50 yards away...

"I'm Feckin' Obviously a Gob****e" lights - bad enough in the clear weather, but twice as bad in the rain.

I was going through a roundabout yesterday. Taking the right turn, apx 270 degrees (and also the third exit) so stayed in right hand lane. A van in the left hand lane (we both joined the roundabout at the same entrance) stayed outside me and not only "overtook" but cut across me before exiting the same road. Luckily, I had witnessed his performance at the previous roundabout so was kinda expecting it.

Now I'm not an advocate of road rage, so there was no flashing of lights or beeping of horns. Instead, I calmly dialled the phone number on the van and told the girl that answered that the company should run driver education courses, as the driver of 08 CN xxx clearly hasn't a clue...

Advertisement