Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What stresses you out about driving.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I was a victim of road rage from the driver of the Clare Library van coming off a regional road onto a national road and I did the same as the last reply.

I stopped behind him and a stop sign of a T junction and then he reversed back onto the regional road from the national road because a car was coming.

I backed up and blew the horn for a very short burst. Just a quick toot to warn him I was there. He jumped out of the van, looked at the back of his van and shouted at me that I should learn to drive or keep off the roads.

I called the county council and complained him. I was given the "it wont happen" again reply. Im hoping it doesnt but I hope they actually repremanded him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

Okay this stresses me out:

Yesterday when I was leaving work to go home, I drove up to the exit, and indicated that I was going right. I waited for a chance to get a gap in the traffic, as I would be crossing a lane of traffic heading north in order to get onto the lane of traffic heading south. As I was waiting, my lane (far lane, heading south) was empty, but there was a car heading down the lane in front of me.

He (some boy racer skanger in a glanza, shwaaaarrrrr) had his left indicator on, and because of this I obviously assumed that he was turning off the road, onto the road I was on, so I moved out. Next thing, he speeds up, slams on the brakes just as he gets to me, and starts giving me dogs abuse out the window.

I was so shocked I said nothing, and continued to move across to my lane (which was still empty) but I could feel the rage building up inside me for the rest of the day.

I take responsibility for the fact that I shouldnt have been foolish enough to trust the indicator - I was taught never to trust that if someone is indicating left that they are in fact turning left. But I couldnt get over the stupidity of him for 1. Having the indicator on (If it was on since his last turn it must have been on a long time, because this was a very straight road) and 2. Speeding up when he saw me coming out anyway, talk about trying to cause an accident.

Anyone got any views?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

peanuthead wrote: »
    Okay this stresses me out:

Yesterday when I was leaving work to go home, I drove up to the exit, and indicated that I was going right. I waited for a chance to get a gap in the traffic, as I would be crossing a lane of traffic heading north in order to get onto the lane of traffic heading south. As I was waiting, my lane (far lane, heading south) was empty, but there was a car heading down the lane in front of me.

He (some boy racer skanger in a glanza, shwaaaarrrrr) had his left indicator on, and because of this I obviously assumed that he was turning off the road, onto the road I was on, so I moved out. Next thing, he speeds up, slams on the brakes just as he gets to me, and starts giving me dogs abuse out the window.

I was so shocked I said nothing, and continued to move across to my lane (which was still empty) but I could feel the rage building up inside me for the rest of the day.

I take responsibility for the fact that I shouldnt have been foolish enough to trust the indicator - I was taught never to trust that if someone is indicating left that they are in fact turning left. But I couldnt get over the stupidity of him for 1. Having the indicator on (If it was on since his last turn it must have been on a long time, because this was a very straight road) and 2. Speeding up when he saw me coming out anyway, talk about trying to cause an accident.

Anyone got any views?

You made a stupid mistake, but you've learned from it. However, when he wakes up in the morning, he'll still be a prick.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

Biro wrote: »
    You made a stupid mistake, but you've learned from it. However, when he wakes up in the morning, he'll still be a prick.

lol, true!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

peanuthead wrote: »

Anyone got any views?
    Pretty much what you say, really - you were taught never to trust indicators in order to protect you from 'people' like that. The roads are full of them, though, it's not in your interests to let it get to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Well put.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I also cannot understand why some people usually old people and women cannot stop their car at the white line, instead they stop half a car length over the white line so they have to scrunch their neck down and sideways to see the traffic light next to them.

Or else stop about 3 car lengths from the line/car in front and then creep forward a foot at a time while waiting for the lights to change. Annoying when I'm behind them as I prefer to just drive up, then put the handbrake on, sit back and relax until ready to move again. Also very annoying when they block cars behind them from entering into the filter lane either side of them. If they even looked behind them once to see the queue of people behind them with their indicators flashing...

Funnily enough, I beeped at one of those people a few weeks back so they would move forward and let me pass, and got the most filthy look from the person in the car to the left of me :)

Also, pedestrians who when crossing the road, will hit the button behind them just to be assholes. Have to sit like an eejit then at the red lights with noone about to cross.

Oh and people who use the bus lane to skip queues. N3 inbound is bad for this these days.

Gardaí who are too lazy/soft to bother enforcing any of the RotR.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭It BeeMee

Stark wrote: »
    Also, pedestrians who when crossing the road, will hit the button behind them just to be assholes. Have to sit like an eejit then at the red lights with noone about to cross.

Actually, is it just me or have people forgotten the fine art of using a zebra crossing correctly? There was a time when it was recommended to put one foot out on the road to indicate you wanted to cross, and wait for traffic to stop.
    Nowadays it seems acceptable to walk straight out without looking left nor right....

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭andrewh5

Gardaí who are too lazy/soft to bother enforcing any of the RotR.

Absolutely!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

People who drive 50mph everywhere, be it in a 30mph zone or a 60mph zone, idiots. And fog lights.... When its not foggy obviously:mad::mad::mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

What are these "MPH" you speak of ???:pac:

Must be related in some way to my mother in law who cannot for the life of her say EURO. Everything is still £ to her.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Must be related in some way to my mother in law who cannot for the life of her say EURO. Everything is still £ to her.

And she is always ringing asking what her email number is.

And she is always ringing asking what her email number is.

My MIL is one of those god awful people when it comes to technology and cop on.

She was told to call her daughter in law to apologise for telling her earlier that day she should lose a few pounds. Whilst she had her mobile to her ear(I had to dial the number of course) and the phone was ringing on both ends she said out loud to us " yeah, but she is kind of fat". Imagine the poor girl had answered the phone.

Moral of story. Woman + technology do not mix

Old woman + technology = possible death

Old people in general - dangerous.

Mother in laws and anything not designed and built in the 50's = disaster

There wont be so many any more anyway as the lack of a medical card will be their downfall. No more paying for broken ankles because your clutch is too stiff on your medical cards now old man!!!!! LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 NoSummer

When I leave space in yellow box in traffic some people merging from left assume its their right to squeeze in and fill up the box. Hey you can only do that for Right turns correct? If thats what is going to happen each time I may as well hop into the box myself. Annoying...

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭veritable

women are the most dangerous drivers on the road, they have terrible coordination and have an incomprehendable inability to concentrate. i have never felt safe in a car when a girl is driving. I know i'm generalising but it is scientifically true for 99% of women

NoSummer wrote: »
    When I leave space in yellow box in traffic some people merging from left assume its their right to squeeze in and fill up the box. Hey you can only do that for Right turns correct? If thats what is going to happen each time I may as well hop into the box myself. Annoying...

Well it's technically illegal, but how else do you expect them to get out when there's a long line of traffic. As long as they're not blocking cars from turning right into the junction, then I don't see the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

veritable wrote: »
    women are the most dangerous drivers on the road, they have terrible coordination and have an incomprehendable inability to concentrate. i have never felt safe in a car when a girl is driving. I know i'm generalising but it is scientifically true for 99% of women

Its a good thing you said 99% or else there could of been uproar lol:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

veritable wrote: »
    I know i'm generalising but it is scientifically true for 99% of women

87.5% of statistics are just made up!

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭veritable

114.31% of those made up statistics are true!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭scubasteve

I hate:
    People who dont indicate, Peeople who cant use a roundabout, Taxi drivers pullingin/out whenever they please and stoping in the middle of the road, People in the fast lane not over taking, black BMW drivers( All D**ks without fail(Imean black BMWs not black drivers)), Pedestrians who walk out in front of you(particularly bad on the southside!!!!)AAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Ahh that felt good. all better.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Since this has kind of turned into a "venting" thread.
    Drivers who pull out without checking their bloody blind spot!
    Nearly got the whole side taken of my car about an hour ago, by some tool pulling out from the kerb with me in his blind spot. AARRRRGGGHHHHHHH:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

I suppose ye order 568 mls of beer, ask for 454 g of sausages in a butchers' shop, start off on a 238.76 cm surf boards, say that there's 1.524 m waves and the charity event Goal run at Christmas is the "Goal 1.609344 km" as opposed to the "Goal mile" too:rolleyes::rolleyes:?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

E92 wrote: »
    I suppose ye order 568 mls of beer, ask for 454 g of sausages in a butchers' shop, start off on a 238.76 cm surf boards, say that there's 1.524 m waves and the charity event Goal run at Christmas is the "Goal 1.609344 km" as opposed to the "Goal mile" too:rolleyes::rolleyes:?

Not to mention that film with Tom Hanks - the green 1.6km? They must have fun when buying tyres - describing what size wheel is on their car!

Not to mention that film with Tom Hanks - the green 1.6km? They must have fun when buying tyres - describing what size wheel is on their car!

How do you order tyres without telling the person what size wheel you have?

235/35/R?? If I didnt tell them the missing ?? segment then they would never know.

There is nothing wrong with being correct. Its not pedantic, its just not acting stupid.(Im aware how stupid that sounds!!! so dont get all pedantic about it?

E92 wrote: »

Oh yeah, being even more pedantic.

I hate people who say tyres when they are talking about wheels!!!! Women!!

I hate yanks who call big SUVs and 4x4 Cars. Its not a car you god damned cartoon caracther.

Do you still go around saying MPH when road related?
    Do you still refer to items in a shop as a £ currency?

Do you still go around saying MPH when road related?
    Do you still refer to items in a shop as a £ currency?

£ refers to a form of currency that no longer exists (in this country). MPH refers to speed, something which still exists. You can't ask for two pounds in money terms anymore because pound coins are no longer in circulation. You can still ask for a pound of meat, because meat still has weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

You approach the roundabout in the right lane and because there is a right lane exiting you know you can use this lane(legally). You head around the inner orbital lane and indicate to exit when the person on the outer orbital lane suddenly realises they want to go around again and slice over you. Or the person coming onto the roundabout from the 1st exit presumes you are going right so drives right across in front of you.

OR, you can in the outer orbital lane and the person in the inner orbital lane slices across in front of you to exit in your lane FOR NO APPARENT REASON other than bad driving instructors telling them they MUST ALWAYS exit in the left lane which is B**LOCKS.
    quirke folder - you'd better read page 109 of the Rules of the Road and perhaps get some driving lessons!

£ refers to a form of currency that no longer exists (in this country). MPH refers to speed, something which still exists. You can't ask for two pounds in money terms anymore because pound coins are no longer in circulation. You can still ask for a pound of meat, because meat still has weight.

That was my point.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

scubasteve wrote: »
    I hate:
    People who dont indicate, Peeople who cant use a roundabout, Taxi drivers pullingin/out whenever they please and stoping in the middle of the road, People in the fast lane not over taking, black BMW drivers( All D**ks without fail(Imean black BMWs not black drivers)), Pedestrians who walk out in front of you(particularly bad on the southside!!!!)AAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Ahh that felt good. all better.:cool:

I totally agree Scubasteve but i would add those cyclist who insist on cycling down the road in 2 or 3 on weekends and i have come to blows with one before after he knocked my wing mirror off in one :mad:. i'd love if my car was like James Bond :-) with few tricks to blow them of the road.

Advertisement