Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What stresses you out about driving.

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

quirke folder - you'd better read page 109 of the Rules of the Road and perhaps get some driving lessons!

Lets take a roundabout like the one at the Galway Clinic. If you are leaving the old dublin road which is a single lane road, you enter the roundabout in the inner orbital lane(inner lane) and exit in onto a dual carraigeway. You are in the right lane(as such) so MUST stay in the right lane on exiting the roundabout.

The LEFT lane( I designed roads for a living as a Civil Engineer ) as you enter the dual carraigeway is for people whom would have been on the outer orbital lane. It ensures that even though you are on the roundabout(entering from the 1st exit) the people from the 2nd exit can travel freely with you on the roundabout and both of you can exit in separate lanes.

The same(in a similar instance) occurs on the Coonagh roundabout in Limerick. From the Ennis road you enter the roundabout for the dual carraigeway in the right lane as the dual carraigeway is the third exit. On navigating the roundabout you enter the dual carraigeway in the right lane leaving people from the Clonmacken road the ability to continue without stopping(most cases) into the left lane.

Obviously you are correct on a normal roundabout but not when it involves more than one lane.

Mine is not opinion rather one of International and Professional fact. The rules of the road(linked) do not point to this fact as each council tends to tender their own plans and rules of a roundabout there can never been a national basis for information. The European tendering process allows companies from all countries to bring their designs to Ireland. You will notice each new motorway looks different in so many different ways.

http://www.rulesoftheroad.ie/rules-for-driving/junctions-roundabouts/roundabouts.html

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I'm not familiar with the roundabout in Galway which you refer to.

In a standard two lane entry/two lane exit roundabout, a driver who wishes to go straight ahead (take 2nd exit) must enter and exit on the left lane.
    Going straight ahead:

Approach in the left-hand lane but do not signal yet.
    Signal left after you have passed the exit before the one you want.
    You may follow the course shown in the illustration by the broken red line in situations where:

1. the left-hand lane is only for turning left or is blocked or closed, or

2. when directed by a Garda.

This subject has been discussed many times on the Motors/Learning to Drive Forum.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

It's funny. From driving in Galway recently with the amount of roundabout separated by dual carraigeways, I really have been a bit bewildered as to what the exact rules of the road are on that one. Interesting stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

In a standard two lane entry/two lane exit roundabout, a driver who wishes to go straight ahead (take 2nd exit) must enter and exit on the left lane.

This subject has been discussed many times on the Motors/Learning to Drive Forum.

Thats ok. Im not going to open up a can of worms about it then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

+1, and in a standard roundabout when you're taking the nth exit, where n>2, then you stay on the inner lane until the n-1th exit, where n is the exit you wish to take at which point you indicate left and move over to the outer or left lane and move off the roundabout; if you're taking the first or second exit then you stay in the left lane the whole time on the roundabout, unless the road markings dictate otherwise in which case the road markings overrule all of the above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,321 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Daddy, can we get off this roundabout now please? I'm dizzy and I think I'm going to be sick on your lovely leather seats. Pleee - burp - eease?

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement