Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggestions on where to find 3/8" (US) Hex Head Bolts in Dublin

Options
  • 10-10-2008 6:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I need to get 2x 3/8" x 1-5/8" bolts for use in a piece of gym equipment that came from the US. A standard Hex Head Bolt should do the trick, the ones that are there already are tightened with an allen key but any bolt should work.

I tried Lenehans in Rathmines and Woodies, both only seemed to do metric sized bolts, M8, M10 etc, I bought the closest sized ones but unsurprisingly, they did not fit.

Any idea where I can get US standard bolts in Dublin, I found a place in the UK that sells them but I'd like to be able to get them in person if possible. Plus the UK shop wants to sell me 100 of them and I only need 2:)

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

That's not going to be easy I suspect. I assume they're going into a threaded hole in the equipment rather than through a non-threaded hole into a bolt on the other side? If so, it might be easier to tap the existing thread out to the next metric size up (probably M10) and replace the bolts with equivalent metric ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭the merchant

Have you tried Tucks?

http://www.tucksfasteners.ie

Have you tried Tucks?

http://www.tucksfasteners.ie
    Ah yes, that was one of the possibilities I had thought of, but couldn't put my finger on the name. I have heard good things about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭blobert

Thanks for that, I'll give them a try, though they seem to be closed at the weekends.

The bolt is going through a metal bar and into a threaded hole in a wooden seat.

There was a second metal bar on top of this that the longer bolts i have were going through as well but I want to remove it hence the needing shorter bolts of the same width.

Any other suggestions would be much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭the merchant

blobert wrote: »
    Thanks for that, I'll give them a try, though they seem to be closed at the weekends.

The bolt is going through a metal bar and into a threaded hole in a wooden seat.

There was a second metal bar on top of this that the longer bolts i have were going through as well but I want to remove it hence the needing shorter bolts of the same width.

Any other suggestions would be much appreciated.

Cut the long ones???

• Advertisement

blobert wrote: »
    I assume then that there's some kind of threaded insert in the wooden seat. That might make it hard to rethread, i.e. there might not be enough thickness left in the insert.
    There was a second metal bar on top of this that the longer bolts I have were going through as well but I want to remove it hence the needing shorter bolts of the same width.
    So, like 'the merchant' said ... why not just cut some off the existing ones? Seems like the obvious solution. All you need is a vice and a hacksaw and a file to clean up the cut edge a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

I had a look and i have some 3/8 X 2 and 3/8 X 1 1/2 if its any good to you.

Or as mentioned, either remove the excess from the existing or pack it out with washers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

Try TED:

Tooling & Engineering Distributors Ltd

Unit 9 The Olde Saw Mills Ballymount rd Walkinstown 12

(01)4505811

They usually have a good stock of odd imperial size bolts etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭blobert

Thanks very much for the replies guys, I appreciate them.

The longer bolts are only threaded on the final third so cutting them down is not an option, they are also quite long so packing them out with washers is not really an option (the washers required are also an unusual size).

Oleras, if I could get 2 of your 3/8 X 1 1/2 bolts that would be great, I'd happily pay you for them for postage and for your helpfulness:)

Those providers are only open Mon-Fri and so would be tricky for me to get to from work in the city centre.

Let me know, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

PM sent.

• Advertisement
Advertisement