Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tie Your Runner Down - A Log

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

i agree with peckham, you are being a tad harsh on yourself - you only missed your target by 5 seconds a mile. You might have gone out a little quick (faster than your normal tempo pace) and tied up towards the end. Come october, the 10miler will be long forgotten. keep the training on target and the race will follow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GoHardOrGoHome

Christeb - what was your HR for the Frank Duffy? I was just looking at a few weeks of previous runs you did and you have some 10 mile runs with 5 miles at 6:59 pace and your heart rate was 144. That's super low and to me indicates great fitness.

For me on the Frank Duffy, my HR shot to 170 from the get go and hovered between 170 and 180 during the race.

Two possibilities: your HR was high so you could have just had an off day or a minor infection that you were fighting (and as Figs said you've had several hard weeks in the run up to this). Like you said you've only just started the 50 mile weeks. You're body has to adapt to that training. It doesn't happen overnight. You see the results in October after a well planned taper!

2nd possibility: your HR was low. Try harder! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

Thanks for the comments lads.

GoHard: didn't wear a HRM! I know what you mean Re: the HR though, I can't seem to push my Hr up to incredible highs though. On our last training run, my partner's HR was ca. 20 beats higher than mine at all times, and he was 90 secs faster on Sat, so I dunno, maybe it is mental. I really tried to push it over the last mile as mentioned, without success, so that leaves to to believe otherwise. As you well saw when you cruised by me on the final straight!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭Peckham

christeb wrote: »
    Re: the HR though, I can't seem to push my Hr up to incredible highs though. On our last training run, my partner's HR was ca. 20 beats higher than mine at all times, and he was 90 secs faster on Sat,

Do you know your max HR? His could be higher than yours. Your Raheny 2 milers should give you an indication of this.

Peckham wrote: »
    Do you know your max HR? His could be higher than yours. Your Raheny 2 milers should give you an indication of this.

Recent Races:
    Irish Runner 5m - max 187
    Midsummers Day 5k - 183
    The Raheny 2 milers seems to be up to a max of 175 or so...

• Advertisement

Week 9/18 DCM Plan
    Day| Session | Pace | Comments
    Monday| 5m | 8.10 pace |
    Tuesday| 6m | 8.35 | HR 138
    Wednesday| 6m |
    Thursday| 14m | |
    Friday|Tergat 4m| |
    Saturday| 15m w/12 @ PMP | |
    Sunday| 6m (w/ 6 x 100 strides) | | TOTAL 56m

Easy 6m this evening around St Anne's Park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Which leaves me here, knowing a sub 3:11 is thoroughly out the window, barring exceptions. I'll try to keep training together and do a good HM in Sept, and maybe look at something more realistic in DCM, 3:20 ish. Kinda takes the pressure off, no huge goals to achieve, at least this time around. Am I coming off sounding slightly like Woddle in this post?!

Asking myself many Qs about how I wasn't stronger, I think some of it is down to diet (I eat waaaay too much chocolate), not enough pace stuff in my training, only really hitting the solid 50m weeks recently, even though my legs felt fresh at the start line.....

Hi Christeb
    I understand you feel a bit deflated after not hitting your target for the 10 miler. But That 3:11 marathon is definitely still on. 9wks to go and trust me you can pull it out of the bag in that space of time, no bother. I know how it feels to not hit a target in a race, you feel like throwing your hands up into the air and saying its all ****ed now. But this is where you gotta show what youre made of, I think the term is Bounce-back-ability.
    No way should you settle for anything less than a 3:11. You defintely can do this, dont compromise for anything.

tunguska wrote: »
    Hi Christeb
    I understand you feel a bit deflated after not hitting your target for the 10 miler. But That 3:11 marathon is definitely still on. 9wks to go and trust me you can pull it out of the bag in that space of time, no bother. I know how it feels to not hit a target in a race, you feel like throwing your hands up into the air and saying its all ****ed now. But this is where you gotta show what youre made of, I think the term is Bounce-back-ability.
    Now way should you settle for anything less than a 3:11. You defintely can do this, dont compromise for anything.

Thanks for the words. No I'm certainly not giving up, 14 miler tonight around Howth (you're more than welcome, will be leaving ca. 1830 or so!).

Thanks for the words. No I'm certainly not giving up, 14 miler tonight around Howth (you're more than welcome, will be leaving ca. 1830 or so!).

Would love to go, really enjoyed that last run we did out there in howth. But I have speed training with Niall tonight which I know is gonna be brutal:(.
    But Id definitely be up for the same run we did last time maybe next sunday morning???

Would love to go, really enjoyed that last run we did out there in howth. But I have speed training with Niall tonight which I know is gonna be brutal:(.
    But Id definitely be up for the same run we did last time maybe next sunday morning???

I'm LSRin' it with my training buddy Sat AM - 15 w/ 12 @ PMP (or as many as we can last!), so it'll be flat. Sure will let ya know when I'm doing Howth again...

• Advertisement

Week 9/18 DCM Plan
    Monday| 5m | 8.10 pace |
    Wednesday| REST | laziness - tergat would not be happy...
    Thursday| 14m | 8:06 | HR 143
    Friday|Tergat 4m| |
    Sunday| 6m (w/ 6 x 100 strides) | | TOTAL 50m

Great run tonight around Howth Hill. Ran within myself at all time,even cranked out a few <8 min miles which I rarely do on my own. On the way up the hill I had a panoramic view over the city centre and could see it was pouring rain - beautiful! got a refreshing 2 min shower about 9 miles in.
    Also tried ouot a system for carrying gels for DCM. Have 2 elastic headbands, doubled these around my forearm and squeezed 3 gels in. Worked a charm, doesn't look great but it was effective. I just worry that when I get down to 1 it might start slipping around a bit. All in all a good nights work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭rigal

Have 2 elastic headbands, doubled these around my forearm and squeezed 3 gels in. Worked a charm, doesn't look great but it was effective. I just worry that when I get down to 1 it might start slipping around a bit..

I'd recommend one of these christeb -

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/run/8/Hilly_Mobile_Phone~Gel_Carrier/5360042604/

I bought one for Edinburgh and use it all the time now on long runs. They're very handy and carry about 3/4 gels plus a few coins etc. You can even throw an ipod in there too.

Been following your log over the past while. You're making great progress - keep it up...

Week 9/18 DCM Plan
    Monday| 5m | 8.10 pace |
    Friday|Tergat 4m| 8.55 | HR 139 (a bit high possibly??)
    Sunday| 6m (w/ 6 x 100 strides) | | TOTAL 50m

Enjoyable early morning run in St Anne's Park. There a great bit near the end when I come to the opening after a dark stretch to the Old Pond. All the ducks are just waking up, so I try to tread very carefully around the perimeter to try not to wake them up too abruptly. My old buddy the heron was there too, looking elegant as ever.
    Tough run tomorrow morning, should be fun!

Week 9/18 DCM Plan
    Monday| 5m | 8.10 pace |
    Friday|Tergat 4m| 8.55 | HR 139 (a bit high possibly??)
    Saturday| 9m w/ 6 @ PMP | 6 @ 7.25 |
    Sunday| 14m |8.30ish | TOTAL 52m

Sat: arranged to go out with a friend of a friend, v accomplished runner (1:19 Connemara HM), so he brought me around the perimeter of Phoenix Park. wore the wrong footwear and I was dehydrated / tired after 9m (not a great sleep) so called it a day with 6m @ PMP (all on grass). Wore the wrong footwear for this (flats), as I though we'd be mostly on flat ground, feet were very tired and sore afterwards.
    Sun: had an uber-lazy day so scraped myself up and told myself I'd do an easy 7 into work, collect my bike and come home. Of course I forgot 1 of the keys, so had to turn back and run home too! An extra 6m, wasn't as painful as I thought it would be, nothing like running along the boardwalk in town or through Fairview Park to put a bit of speed in the step. Garmin froze after 4m so unsure of speed, damn technology.

total of 52m for the week, decent but not superb quality. Still, happy with the volume, no complaints in general.

PS: don't go see Inglourious Basterds, worst piece of tripe I've seen in a long time!

total of 52m for the week, decent but not superb quality. Still, happy with the volume, no complaints in general.

PS: don't go see Inglourious Basterds, worst piece of tripe I've seen in a long time!

Good mileage - will stand to you.

Have heard mixed reports on Inglorious Basterds - may wait for the DVD!

Good mileage - will stand to you.

Have heard mixed reports on Inglorious Basterds - may wait for the DVD!

Thanks, gonna do the 3m Race in Raheny tomorrow, hopefully I can crank out a tidy <18min time....

Just back from Funny People, better than I.B., if still only good!

Thanks, gonna do the 3m Race in Raheny tomorrow,

Did this get knocked on the head for a spin around the Park with the great man himself?

Did this get knocked on the head for a spin around the Park with the great man himself?

Turned up to the event, got a free Livestrong band and a good glimpe of the great man. Turned around and went home, didn't particularly want to ride along side ~799 randomers....therefore Race Report below :)

Week 10/18 DCM Plan
    Monday| REST | |
    Tuesday| 8m inc. 3m race) | Race splits: 6.05 / 6.30 :rolleyes: / 6.10 | HR 170
    Wednesday| 5m |
    Thursday| Intervals (says 5x600@ 5k pace, I want to do more / longer) | |
    Friday|Tergat 4m| |
    Saturday| 16m w/12 @ PMP | |
    Sunday| 8m (w/ 8 x 100 strides) | | TOTAL 49m

Race this evenig was good, handicapped, which I've never tried before. Of course I get put into the group with all of the Raheny Shamrocks ringers I know, sub 3 Mara heads, so I didn't have a hope. Ran most of the race on my own, 2nd mile pretty slow as I didn't want to blow up. Finish 18:45, could comfortably have been closer to 18, but happy with it overall. Total 8m for the evening.

A nice week in the pipeline, the sched calls for 5x600@ 5k pace on Thurs, anyone have suggestions of what they think would be more beneficial. I'd nearly do a session of Yasso's for the craic (8 x 800 with same rest time as interval time, marathon predictor workout...), but think it might be too much at this stage. Suggestions apprectiated (esp. from Peckham!)....

Week 10/18 DCM Plan
    Monday| REST | |
    Wednesday| 5m |
    Friday|Tergat 4m| |

Race this evenig was good, handicapped, which I've never tried before. Of course I get put into the group with all of the Raheny Shamrocks ringers I know, sub 3 Mara heads, so I didn't have a hope. Ran most of the race on my own, 2nd mile pretty slow as I didn't want to blow up. Finish 18:45, could comfortably have been closer to 18, but happy with it overall. Total 8m for the evening.

A nice week in the pipeline, the sched calls for 5x600@ 5k pace on Thurs, anyone have suggestions of what they think would be more beneficial. I'd nearly do a session of Yasso's for the craic (8 x 800 with same rest time as interval time, marathon predictor workout...), but think it might be too much at this stage. Suggestions apprectiated (esp. from Peckham!)....

How would you be fixed for doing 8 x 1000 at 5k pace with 1 minute rest in between? Very good session, really pushes you.

P.S. I have to respectfully disagree with you over your assessment of Inglorious basterds.........thought it was supreme(and im not a Tarantino fan normally).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

P.S. I have to respectfully disagree with you over your assessment of Inglorious basterds.........thought it was supreme(and im not a Tarantino fan normally).

Couldn't agree more :D

Nice time in the 3m.

How would you be fixed for doing 8 x 1000 at 5k pace with 1 minute rest in between? Very good session, really pushes you.

Hmmm, too much I think, need to have some level of freshness for Saturday's Run (Phoenix Park AM if you're interested?)
    The max I'd do on Thurs are the Yasso's (8-10 x 800m with ca. 3 min rest), they don't sound too hard, certainly nothing like what you've described. Don't want to veer too far off schedule, I think it's asking for trouble (injuries etc...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Week 10/18 DCM Plan
    Monday| REST | |
    Wednesday| 5m |
    Friday|Tergat 4m| |

Thats one thing about handicapped races seem to get won by ringers ;) . Nice running all the same well do.

Week 10/18 DCM Plan
    Monday| REST | |
    Tuesday| 8m (inc. 3m race) | Race splits: 6.05 / 6.30 :rolleyes: / 6.10 | HR 170
    Wednesday| 5m | HR 134 | fartlek, 1m barefoot
    Friday|Tergat 4m| |

Easy run tonight. Did ca. 1 mile around the football pitch, starting to wonder if I could ever do a marathon barefoot? I wonder does anyone do this for Dublin? Just a random thought!

Hmmm, too much I think, need to have some level of freshness for Saturday's Run (Phoenix Park AM if you're interested?)

I'd love to go saturday morning but I have a tempo scheduled........which im not looking forward to. Thanks anyway man.

Whats your PMP by the way?

I'd love to go saturday morning but I have a tempo scheduled........which im not looking forward to. Thanks anyway man.

Whats your PMP by the way?

Ca. 7.15 - 7.20 ish...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

Ca. 7.15 - 7.20 ish...

Pick one! *tosses coin* ..... Its 7'15" !!

Week 10/18 DCM Plan
    Monday| REST | |
    Tuesday| 8m (inc. 3m race) | Race splits: 6.05 / 6.30 :rolleyes: / 6.10 | HR 170
    Thursday| Intervals 6 x 800m (3.01 avg)) | 8m total | HR 152 avg for intervals - max ca 173
    Friday|Tergat 4m| |

Intervals tonight with my buddy. Did them up and down the avenue in St Anne's Park, its great when you can see all the way down the tree lined straight...Went well, last couple towards St Paul's College were tough against the wind. 90 secs rest between each, would be confident of cracking out another 2-4 of these if we had 3 min rest (ie a set of Yasso's at that pace). Total 8m

Week 10/18 DCM Plan
    Monday| REST | |
    Thursday| Intervals 6 x 800m (3.01 avg)) | 8m total | HR 152 avg for intervals - max ca 173
    Friday|REST| |
    Saturday| 7m | 7.41 | HR 142

Planned to do 16 at pace but didn't transpire. I just don't think I have the strength to do 12m @ 7.15 - 7.20 pace, whether its mental or not....Legs were tired, calves mostly. Getting to that stage of the sched where the Mara is far away and the runs are tough, motivation is not high right now. Plan is to get 16 of some description later on....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

Planned to do 16 at pace but didn't transpire. I just don't think I have the strength to do 12m @ 7.15 - 7.20 pace, whether its mental or not....Legs were tired, calves mostly. Getting to that stage of the sched where the Mara is far away and the runs are tough, motivation is not high right now. Plan is to get 16 of some description later on....

You've had a tough week, the 3mile race and the intervals on Thursday as well. Those sessions are still in your legs.

12miles running at PMP pace would be another tough workout in the one week. Maybe even if it was pushed a couple of days futher out, you would be ready for it next time?

Advertisement