Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tie Your Runner Down - A Log

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭Peckham

christeb wrote: »
    I'll let you run your own race - closer to 85 I'm sure :)

Unlikely! Won't be pushing myself given I took last week off through illness. Will be going out at 90-min pace and see how I get on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GoHardOrGoHome

Well done sir! Sub 40 in the bag. Nicely done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GoHardOrGoHome

I'll try and find you on Saturday morning and try to hang onto sub 90 pace with you. Got a 40:31 10k last weekend so I'm going to aim for the sub 90 and who cares if I don't make it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭jlang

Oh why not - I'm almost ready to say I'm in for trying for 90 as well. I think I have it in me (1:36 in Connemara and steady training since then), but now it just depends on whether I've shaken whatever had me slowed down last week (cold-like symptoms, legs feeling slow) and if I take it suitably easy this week. I'll look out for you guys at the start anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

I'll try and find you on Saturday morning and try to hang onto sub 90 pace with you. Got a 40:31 10k last weekend so I'm going to aim for the sub 90 and who cares if I don't make it!
    jlang wrote: »
    Oh why not - I'm almost ready to say I'm in for trying for 90 as well. I think I have it in me (1:36 in Connemara and steady training since then), but now it just depends on whether I've shaken whatever had me slowed down last week (cold-like symptoms, legs feeling slow) and if I take it suitably easy this week. I'll look out for you guys at the start anyway.

Sounds good lads, there should be a few BAC heads in the first few rows, preparation is KEY when there's 8,000 people in the Park, so I'll be there early. See ya then!

• Advertisement

Week 14/18 DCM Plan
    Day| Session | Pace | Comments
    Monday| 4m | ca. 8.00 | AM: weights / core
    Tuesday|8 x 800 intervals (2.00 rest) - 8m total | avg 2.57 per 800. AM: weight / core |
    Wednesday| 8m easy | 7.59 | HR 140
    Thursday| 5m easy | |
    Friday| REST | |
    Saturday | 13.1m Race |:cool: sub 90 :cool:
    Sunday| 14m | |
    TOTAL 52

Another 8 deposited in the bank this evening around St Anne's Park and Bull Island. Trying to get used to the realisation that all my runs will be in the dark for the next 6 months :( Easy 5 planned for the morning and then it'll be 48 glorious hours of tapering pre Half Mara on Sat!

Week 14/18 DCM Plan
    Tuesday|8 x 800 intervals (2.00 rest) - 8m total | avg 2.57 per 800. AM: weight / core |
    Thursday| 5m easy | 9.02 |
    Friday| REST | |
    Saturday | 13.1m Race |:cool: sub 90 :cool:
    Sunday| 14m | |
    TOTAL 52

Easy 5 this morning with a buddy round Bull Island. Nice to have the company at that hour of the morning, now I have to stuff my face for 48 hrs in lieu of a hopeful sub 90!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

best of luck in the half lad, enjoy the carb loading, those mini chocolate muffins (dunnes?) are a fav. of mine to eat b4 a race ;)

seriously though, I think your training of late is well impressive+consistent. The sub-90min should def be on for ya, look forward to reading the race report...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

Aye good luck with the halfM at the weekend. I'm not sure sure about the 7'15/mile pace for me at the DM considering I started training on Monday for it! Agree with tisnotover in that your training has been very consistant with some impressive running. Confidence must be good and a sub 90 on Sat will have you believe that 3'10 is well on :)

Week 14/18 DCM Plan
    Friday| REST | |
    Saturday | 13.1m Race | 93:19 | HR 160
    Sunday| 14m | |
    TOTAL 52

93:19.
    Actualy not that dissappointed, I knew my rsce was out the window at 8.5m and really lost interest / gave up, going from 6.50 avg miles to putting in a 7.4x and 2 x 8.0x miles at the end. I pretty much gave up / lost interest when I knew the sub 90 was out the window, which I knew it was after the Kyber climb, good Lord that was hard! We went out @ 6.45 pace, probably a tiny bit too fast for me, would have last longer if we left it at 6.52 or so, lesson learned. At the end of the day I don't have that speed / strength that's necessary. Funnily enough I'm still optimistic for the main event in 30 days time, I know there's 2 weeks of solid improvement left with the tough weeks remaining, and I am also just that naive!
    Nice to see all the familiar faces in the crowd and on the road, Greg did 89:20, great performance, and also to all the rest of you (and there were loads!) who broke 90.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Put it behind you christeb...the big one is still to come

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

Sosa wrote: »
    Put it behind you christeb...the big one is still to come

+1 on this.

Think you were right to back off the pace at 8.5miles, this race wasn't what you've been putting all the training in for the last 14 weeks.

Week 14/18 DCM Plan
    Friday| REST | |
    Saturday | 13.1m Race | 93:19 | HR 160
    Sunday| 10m | 8.33 | + 1hr of 5 a side, hungover!
    TOTAL 48

Thanks for the words above lads, as I said I'm still quietly confident. I think if I had stayed focussed I would have run 91 fairly easily, which gives me one minute to find between now and 29 days time, 2 weeks of good training should give me that.
    Went out and got royally drunk with the lads last night, much vodski + red bull was consumed. With a 14 in the sched this was not good! took it super easy and then my friend asked was I free for some 5 a side. Figured it would give me some motivation, so I ran to and from this, which worked out quite well. A pedestrian pace, legs were quiet fresh from yesterday which also suggests I didn't give it 100%. survived the football, I played OK, I was uber lazy after the run and tried to conserve some energy for the trip back.

Overall a good week again, 2 good weeks left....

PS: the is the last session pre-Marathon, I think a month off the booze is quiet a good balance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

Hey Christeb,
    Are you going to taper for two weeks then? and how many miles will you be covering over the next two weeks? I ask because I've similar goals to yourself. I was going to taper for 3 weeks but I'm not 100% sure. Don't know how you managed to do anything today after a session last night.
    Cheers.

Hey MF, sched attached, pretty much taken word for word (number for number?) from P&D. The 4(T) are Tergat runs, v easy 4 milers, I can skip these if I want. So 57 / 47 / 40 / 30, I may review the taper and have this with more rest days, I'll consult the elders closer to the time!

Week 15/18 DCM Plan
    Monday| 4.5m | 9.07 |
    Tuesday| 10m (intervals, maybe 10 x 800 Yassos w/ 2.50 rest) | |
    Wednesday| 5m (w/ 6 x 100 strides) | |
    Thursday| 4m easy | |
    Friday| 10m | |
    Saturday | 4m | |
    Sunday| 20m | | maybe around the last 20m of DCM
    TOTAL 57

Easy recovery run with a buddy this morning, it's very mild out there, lessens the pain of the 0600 start!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

Hey MF, sched attached, pretty much taken word for word (number for number?) from P&D. The 4(T) are Tergat runs, v easy 4 milers, I can skip these if I want. So 57 / 47 / 40 / 30, I may review the taper and have this with more rest days, I'll consult the elders closer to the time!

Thanks for that, much appreciated. Decisions decisions!

Week 15/18 DCM Plan
    Monday| 4.5m | 9.07 |
    Tuesday| 5m (w/ 6 x 100 strides) | 8.35 | 1.5m barefoot in the water!
    Wednesday| 10m (intervals, maybe 10 x 800 Yassos w/ 2.50 rest) | |
    Thursday| 4m easy | |
    Friday| 10m | |
    Saturday | 4m | |
    TOTAL 57

5m with a few strides this evening. The bod is still struggling after the weekends activities, the 5 a side didn't do me any good whatsoever. Ran 1.5m barefoot in the water this evening, intervals are postponed until tomorrow.

Week 15/18 DCM Plan
    Monday| 4.5m | 9.07 |
    Wednesday| 9m (inc 3 x 2m @ 7.10 pace w/ 2.20 rest) | HR 146 (154 during intervals) |
    Thursday| 4m easy | |
    Friday| 10m | |
    Saturday | 4m | |
    TOTAL 57

Good long ints session tonight, from tergat and recommended by misty floyd. My groin is very sore from the weekend still, but the little tunney on my shoulder klept telling me to HTFU, so I got the 3 x 2m's in! Found a nice rhythm for each one, I was comfortablew enough throughout. A few mini strides and little wd to finish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

Good long ints session tonight, from tergat and recommended by misty floyd. My groin is very sore from the weekend still, but the little tunney on my shoulder klept telling me to HTFU, so I got the 3 x 2m's in! Found a nice rhythm for each one, I was comfortable enough throughout. A few mini strides and little wd to finish.

I like those sessions too; long intervals will stand to you, good work.

• Advertisement

Week 15/18 DCM Plan
    Monday| 4.5m | 9.07 |
    Wednesday| 9m (inc 3 x 2m @ 7.10 pace w/ 2.20 rest) | HR 146 (154 during intervals) |
    Thursday| 4m easy | 8.40 pace |
    Friday| 10m | |
    Saturday | 4m | |
    TOTAL 57

up at 0615 for an easy tergat 4miler. Would have preferred to stay in bed, it was too cold and dark out there! 38 hrs rest, then a 10 / 4 / 20 to finish off the week, then semi-taper madness here we come....

Pretty solid week christeb

Week 15/18 DCM Plan
    Monday| 4.5m | 9.07 |
    Friday| 10m | 5 x 7.45, 4 x 7.28 1 x warm down |
    Saturday | 4m | |
    TOTAL 57

Pixies last night - superb gig!
    Good session today, decided at the outset to make it a progression run, 2 x 8.15, 2 x 8.00 etc. Went out too fast, so we simplified it to 5 x 7.45, 4 x 7.28 1 x warm down. All of it was done on grass (St. Anne's Park) or sand (Bull Island), so very happy with it.
    A few drinks tonight, possibly an easy 4 tomorrow and then 20 inc. the last 17 of DCM on Sunday, hopefully with a fast finish is the plan.

Week 15/18 DCM Plan
    Monday| 4.5m | 9.07 |
    Friday| 10m | 5 x 7.45, 4 x 7.28 1 x warm down |
    Saturday | hangover rest | |
    Sunday| 20m | 7.51 | maybe around the last 20m of DCM
    TOTAL 53

Out on Friday so laid up yesterday. 20miler early this morning, drove into town, around the start line. From here we ran to St James Hosp and joined the DCM route. Pace was respectable, 7.45 ish. After Rowell Rd we got very lost, spending the next hour or so going around in circles. Eventually got to Fosters Ave and back on track. I'm coming down with a cold and was freezing all the way around today, there was not much sparkle left in the legs after 17m. The run was also done on an empty stomach with nothing to see us around, spare a glass of water from the Spar in Clonskeagh. So I'm happy enough with the pace overall.

22 days and counting!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭figs

Another good week christeb, and finished with a decent paced LSR. Looks like you're well set. Just don't let those flu bugs get ya!

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭stmochtas

Pixies last night - superb gig!

I was there as well. Pure class. Always put an end to any plans to run Saturday for me :p

Good stuff lads. Yeah I feel pretty good fitness wise now. On the other hand, I have a truck load of meds beside me, the cold has hit me pretty hard. It's all in my head though, so as long as it stays there I'm happy. Actually kinda delighted I'm getting this now and not in 21 days time!

Week 15/18 DCM Plan
    Monday| REST | sick |
    Tuesday| REST | sick |
    Wednesday| 11m | 4 x 2m (last 2m was a race!) avg 7.02 | HR 148 |
    Thursday| 5m | |
    Friday| 16m (predator / fast finish) | off to Donegal post-run |
    Saturday | 5m | Donegal |
    Sunday| 7m tune up "race" | Donegal |
    TOTAL 53

Super session tonight, 2m wu then 3 x 2m intervals, ca. 7.02 pace. Then found out there was a Raheny 2m "fit4life" series on, so begged the organisers to let me in with no number. Ran it conservatively, the winner got 11.25, it would have been nice to have no marathon and try to take a scalp there! Great to chat to the lads down there, my time was 13:58 (7.16, 6.42), 4th last :). 1m cd to finish
    Felt strong tonight, although I am just coming off a decent cold so the legs were fresh. 16m on Friday, then I'm off for a class reunion to Donegal, NO ALCOHOL :eek:

Edit: its Weds today, not Tues!

Week 16/18 DCM Plan
    Monday| REST | sick |
    Tuesday| REST | sick |
    Wednesday| 11m | 4 x 2m (last 2m was a race!) avg 7.02 | HR 148 |
    Thursday| 4.5m | 8.33 | HR 133. AM: weights / core
    Friday| 16m (predator / fast finish) | off to Donegal post-run |
    Saturday | 5m | Donegal |
    Sunday| 7m tune up "race" | Donegal |
    TOTAL 44

Easy 4.5m this evening. At 2.5m a little Nortsider decides to impress his mates by running alongside me. Being the mature adult I am: "give ya a race to the bridge?" To which our young friend takes off. I follow, but on the grass with a bad start, he beats me easily (OK he was just faster!). Spent the last 2m loosening out the muscles from this event. 2 races in 2 nights, both with less than favourable results :D

• Advertisement

Not sure if you'll see this before your run today....but don't be afraid to back off on the predator run. Less than 20 days to go, and you've been sick this week and have also raced. Don't put your body under undue pressure.

Advertisement